make your own dressing?

Options
afleming22710
afleming22710 Posts: 56 Member
I LOVE salads, but my problem is dressing. I CAN'T eat a salad, or well I haven't tried to eat a salad without Ranch dressing. I bought some of the ranch dressing spritzers, but I don't care for them.

So I was wondering if any of you make your own salad dressing? If so, how do you make it?

Replies

• tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I only make my own dressings.

1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp apple cidar vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 garlic clove crused (optional and only if you are ok with garlicky taste).
    This dressing is awesome and easy.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/10/

We use low fat mayo to reduce the calorie count.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use fat free mayo, splenda, and balsamic vinegar. I imagine a person could get some ranch mix and mix with sour cream and/or mayo and make a low fat/fat free ranch that was healthier than the pre-bottled stuff.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options

1 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 tbsp olive oil

Is this 2 tablespoons?? How many calories?
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Rocco Dispirto has a KILLER ranch dressing in his "Now Eat This" cookbook
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You can make your own Ranch Dressing.

1 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt (140 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 cal)
    1 envelope Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix (80 cal)

The entire recipe makes about 32 Tbsp of dressing ... or 16 servings of 2Tbsp each.
    Total calories entire recipe = 260
    Calories PER 2-Tbsp serving = 16
  • jspaulding01
    jspaulding01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ken's steakhouse lite ranch is only 90 calories for 2 tbsp or if you use rice vinegar you barely need olive oil.. Another favorite is lemon and a tad of olive oil

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5031490.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    bumping this :smile:
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    I make my own Ranch using the Hidden Valley Ranch packet and skim milk. Actually have a 'jar' in my fridge now. I read above using the greek yogurt... great idea! I'm going to use that and skim on my next batch :happy:
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options

1 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 tbsp olive oil

Is this 2 tablespoons?? How many calories?

Yes, 2 TBSP..but you don't use the whole thing in one salad for one person!..hee hee. It's like 3-4 servings. (you could also go 1 to 1.5 tBSP).
  • ablevin1
    ablevin1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't exactly make my own dressing but i started adding a tablespoon of garlic hummis to my salads and it gives a creamy texture to a salad with a lite balsamic dressing. you could also take plain hummis and add a little bit of ranch dip mix(the kind from the packet) to it and try to make your own healthy ranch-like dressing. I use hummis as a substitute for lots high calorie spreads like mayo as well. hope this helps!