I need net calorie help

Options
After my morning workout and breakfast and lunch my calorie net is 45 :-/

Here is what I've done today

6:30am workout - High school bleachers 11 times (up and down = 1 time), 3 laps around the track (1/2 walk 1/2 run), 5 suicides and got in a few sprints.

9:00am Oatmeal
11:00am handful of sunflower seeds
12:30pm Salad and asparagus

Any Suggestions?

Replies

• Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can look at it? From what you have listed, it doesn't make sense to have a 45 net after that.
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok

Thanks
  • teenasbody
    Options
    Now open
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok

Thanks

Why is your goal only 700 cals/day. That is not enough to get the required amount of nutrition, macros (protein, fat, carbs, fiber) or micros (vitamins and minerals). I would suggest changing your goal to 1200 cals and eat healthy clean natural foods.

With less than 15 lbs to your goal your weekly loss goal should not be more that a 0.5lb loss. This will give you calories 250 below your maintenance calories. Anything less and you risk burning muscle, instead of fat, for fuel for your body.
  • teenasbody
    Options
    Thanks Eric I can't seem to eat 1200 calories I try i am eating 4 meals a day plus a snack drinking between 8-10 glasses of water and I don't even make it to 700 most days. Is it my food choices? IDK I am confused by it all I eat a lot of food every day I keep a photo food journal and I take a picture and date and time of everything I eat just still not enough.

Thanks for any input you can get on how to get my calories up by eating "clean" foods
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories. Just make different food choices. Eat nuts, seeds and dehydrated fruit as snacks. Add olive oil to soups and sauces. Add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Have a glass of juice in place a glass of water. Eat nut butters such as peanut butter and almond butter, on its own or with fruit or stirred in oatmeal. Eat higher fat % cheese, milk, yogurt, salad dressings, etc.

Making the above changes can add easily 500-1000/day without actually eating more quantity of food.
  • crystaln05
    Options
    Yeah 700 calories a day is way too little. Anything less than 1200 isn't good. Your body needs fuel and by only eating 700 calories a day you are defiantly not giving your body what it needs. High calorie clean foods include: unsalted nuts: walnuts (1/8 c = 180 calories), pecans, almonds, peanuts, etc. Peanut butter (organic), oatmeal (plain) mixed with nonfat milk and raisins or berries, Greek Yogurt, whole wheat pancakes, you can also make smoothies with fruit, peanut butter, yogurt, nonfat milk, and add a scoop or two of whey powder (found in all health food stores). There are tons of recipes for them online.

For work outs I do p90x and run (just started the running) 5-6 times a week. Between those two workouts I am burning anywhere between 400-700 calories a day so for my net caloric intake, I need to hit at least 1400 calories to support my workout as well as the rest of my daily activity. The early response was correct, if you are not ingesting enough calories through food a day to support all of your activity, your body will turn to your lean muscle to get the nutrients you need. Fat does not have nutrients which is why when you're on an extreme calorie deficit (aka your body thinks your starving) it stores fat and burns muscle.
    Try this formula:
    * your weight x 10= # of calories you burn just being alive
    * then take that number x .20= your estimated daily activity level (walking to your car, going to the restroom, etc)
    * then take that total and add an average number of calories you burn through exercise everyday
    This will then give you the number of calories you need to take in to MAINTAIN your weight as of right now. I did this and then subtracted 500 and that is how many calories I need to eat a day. You can subtract as many as you want just make sure not to go below 1200 calories a day.

I hope this helped. Good luck!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You don't have anything in there for dinner yet? I guess I am confused by your question. Are you looking for meal ideas.
    I did go and look at your food journal and you are seriosly lacking. You should be eating a lot more. Your metabolism is going to get so far out of whack the longer you keep eatiing like that.

You should add some nuts, seeds, maybe find a natural grain you eat to add a carb to your diet. Add some steamed rice or something. You are probably not feeling pangs of hunger any more because you have ignored them for so long you body no longer sends the signal.

You could even add some fruit in there, mix berries into your oatmeal, I add flaxseed to mine.

Best wishes.