Exercising in the early AM?????

Options
I want to hear from all of you out there that exercise in the mornings. I need some motivation to get up out of bed and do it! I know there are good reasons to exercise in the mornings, I have many different things I can do, I have access to two gyms, I have two dogs that would love to go for a walk, I have a mountain of DVD's I could do and not even have to get dressed but I can not get my *kitten* out of bed to do any of it!

The funny thing is that I set my alarm almost every morning to get up early and exercise and some time through the night I change it! What is wrong with me? I get okay sleep these days, my 3 year old daughter is still not a great sleeper but I am getting more sleep then I was so I should feel more rested but I don't.

Any suggestions on how you get up and get going??

Replies

• dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that there is more daylight time now, the weather is getting nicer now, and I would really like to be outside with my family after work. In order to do that, I MUST get my work out done first thing in the morning. I have my clothes all set out, make a protein shake the night before, so that when I fall out of bed in the morning, all I have to do is slide into the clothes and drink my shake. By then, I'm awake and ready to go.
    Good luck!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't fight your body clock! (that's why I workout at night). :)
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just do it haha. I tell myself that my day is going to be a million times better if I get my lazy butt out of bed and do some exercise.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have no problem getting out of bed in the morning, so I don't know this from experience, but I've seen people say that you should set your alarm and put it ACROSS the room, so when it goes off in the morning you HAVE to get up out of bed to at least turn it off. And then it's also harder to change it in the middle of the night!
  • lacybolton
    Options
    I had to just get up and do it. After a couple of weeks it will become routine and will be easier to do.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i get up at 4:30 every morning without fail to workout! what REALLY helps me is having a workout partner/group. i run with a group usuallly and i have a workout partner who also meets me for strength training. is there someone you can meet???

i also find it helps to follow a schedule every week, so i write down my planned workouts and stick to it!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I lay out my workout clothes on the floor so I step on them. Then I hand my heart rate monitor at eye level so I see it when I use the restroom in the morning. My running shoes are in the kitchen by the computer (so when I log into MFP I see them). It all makes sense in the morning!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Just do it! It's just a habit you have to form, and get your body trained to your new time table. Go to bed early, and rise early - soon enough your body will adjust.

My alarm goes off at 5am every weekday morning to be at the gym at 5:30 - and now I couldn't imagine my day without it. Even on the weekends I'm up at 7ish ready to do something.

Think of it this way - you will be up, have worked-out, showered, dressed, eaten a good breakfast, and ready to start a wonderful day before most people have even gotten out of bed yet!!!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm on the other side of the room or in another room. That way you HAVE to get up to turn it off. You're already out of bed...might as well go work out!!! I'm one of those lucky morning people that gets up with the sun, and before it, but maybe my suggestion will help. Good luck!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    PS when i do not workout in the morning, i am sluggish all day! i miss it... so i agree with the person above, it will get easier for sure! and when i workout at night, i never have as good of a workout because i am not "fresh" like i am in the morning.
  • iwanttobehawt2
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean......I loveee to snooze so its very hard for me. My trainer suggested I just do a half workout in the morning (30 mins cardio) and then do a half workout right afterwork (15-20mins left of cardio and 15mins strength training). Im out of the gym in no time after work. If I am really tired in the morning, I will just go on the bike and exercise so that I dont turn myself off from working out first thing in the morning. Good Luck :)
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    I really like having the "earned" calories there for the whole day, so my motivation is knowing that I won't have to worry about what I eat all day since I have more from the start :-)
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I talk myself into getting up early to work out every morning by reminding myself how much better I feel about myself after I've finished. I rush to work so I can enter my exercise and calories burned. It's a bright spot in the morning
  • healthymom2011
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!

I do work out in the evenings after work, get my daughter and we go to the gym but I need more and the mornings are my answer to get it in. So starting next week, I am going to start a new habit!!

I like putting the alarm clock across the room, I will try that!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I post on MFP that I'm gonna do a morning workout. I'd feel guilty if I didn't follow through!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say they sleep in their workout clothes. It might work for you...dunno.

I work out in the mornings every other month. With that said when I first started I had to really pump myself up the night before. I told myself that I would lose more weight this way. My metabolism is going to be off the charts....anything to make sure that it was going to be a positive experience with a positive outcome. Oh the biggest thing I told myself....there would be no interruptions. I could focus on me with out "mom" being called. When that alarm clock went off I would spring out of bed. If I hit snooze or just laid around it would be a wrap. I would fall back to sleep and not get nothing done. Nope didn't want that so I did what I had to do.

You'll get there. Push yourself out your comfort zone and give yourself the reasons to do it.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY SLEEP!!!! But days that I KNOW I won't be able to work out after work, I do get up early.... 5:30 am.. I do it because I WANT to work out and I feel sooooo much better when I do!!!!

Put your clothes out the night before, set your alarm, and think of how much better you will feel when YOU DO IT!

L.
  • agoodrum
    agoodrum Posts: 1
    Options
    I too am challenged with the same issue at times but it appears that by preparing more the night before and getting to bed eariler will help faciliate you getting up and doing it.

Someone made a very good point about being able to get it done early in the day and not letting your workout time interfer with your family time- perfect for busy moms!

But beyond what everyone has told you (myself included) - the best encouragement is often given by YOU!

so wake up tomorrow and encouraging yourself... Good Luck to you : )
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Things that worked for me:

1) Alarm across the room. If I didn't get up, my husband beating me with a pillow to go turn it off usually did the trick.
    2)I literally slept in my workout clothes for the first while. All I had to do was put my feet on the floor, find my shoes and go. It really helped, as silly as it sounds.
    3) It got MUCH easier as I saw results. I even started looking foward to it, but just a little bit. This includes actually getting to finish a workout without having a toddler tangled up in your legs--the main bonus of the early morning workout for me.
    4)It's easier as the days get longer too--if you can leave the top part of your shades open in the room at night to let sunlight in in the mornings, that helped me too.

Good luck.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I always got up early, around 5 or 5:15 to have coffee, watch the news, pet my cats, get in the shower at 6:30, get ready and leave the house at 8.
    Now, I still get up early and have my coffee and watch the news, but I work out at about 5:45 so I am done and can cool down before my shower.
    Changing your routine takes some getting used to. Years ago, I didn't even roll out of bed before 7:30. But a different job and other responsibilities changed my schedule.