HELP! Need a Low Cal cupcake recipe

Options
husker_gal
husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
So I'm doing my branch's ice breaker activity on Monday and I am doing something with cupcakes...anyway...I need all your recipes for lower calorie but still super yummy cupcakes!

Replies

• lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    try-- skinnytaste.com

they have some really good low cal/low fat recipes

i tried the pineapple bliss cupcakes...really good but mine crumbled a little--may have to add some extra water.
  • kellyneff
    kellyneff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make angel food cupcakes top with fat free kool whip and low fat jello pudding mix instead of icing! add strawberries
    or pineapples on top for color!
  • carol7323
    carol7323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look up Citrus Cupcakes on Prevention.com from the Flat Belly Diet. I can't remember the calorie count. But I can attest to the fact that the recipes for the Flat Belly Diet are delicious.

http://baking.food.com/recipe/flat-belly-diet-lemon-cupcakes-with-citrus-icing-321415
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Try Angel food cake mix and add 1 can crushed pineapples. Do not add anything else the box calls for. Top with FF cool whip. These are SOO yummy and low cal!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Look up "Curtis Stone's Red Velvet Cupcakes".......I've never made them, but they have received RAVE reviews!
  • susanliber
    susanliber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was going to say use Angel Food Cake....make it chocolate angel food and just dust with powdered sugar.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    bumppppppp
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Took these right off the Hungry Girl site. These are NOT my reviews, I just copied and pasted :)

Yellow Cake Mix + No-Sugar-Added Applesauce

PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 179 calories, 3.25g fat, 299mg sodium, 36g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 21.5g sugars, 1.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    One 18.25-oz. box moist-style cake mix
    1 cup no-sugar-added applesauce

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and add 1 cup water. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS
    Best Flavor: Yellow cake mix. It goes perfectly with the fruity taste of the sauce.
    The Texture: VERY moist and fluffy. A+!
    The Taste: AMAZING!!!! Sweet and slightly apple-y. Two YUMS

Cake Mix + Diet Soda

PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 171 calories, 3.25g fat, 301mg sodium, 34g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19g sugars, 1.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    One 12-oz. can diet soda

Directions:
    Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor Combo: Yellow cake mix + diet cream soda. Runners-up include lemon cake mix + diet lemon-lime soda and devil's food cake mix + diet cherry cola.

The Texture: Moist and light.

The Taste: Pretty darn impressive! However, if you're sensitive to the sweetener in diet soda, you may notice a slight aftertaste... especially if you use cola of any kind.

Cake Mix + Canned Pure Pumpkin

PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 183 calories, 3.5g fat, 301mg sodium, 37g carbs, 1.25g fiber, 20.5g sugars, 2g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly -- batter will be VERY thick -- and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Devil's food cake mix is CLEARLY a classic choice. (Hello?! Yum Yum Brownie Muffins!) But spice cake mix... WOW. Yellow and white cake mixes, sadly, do not work as well.

The Texture: Thick and dense in the BEST possible way. Brownie-like, in the case of the devil's food; the spice cake reminded us of pumpkin bread!

The Taste: No one would ever guess this is guilt-free in any way. It's delicious

Cake Mix + Fat-Free Liquid Egg Substitute
    PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 181 calories, 3.25g fat, 337mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19.5g sugars, 3.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    1 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)

Directions:
    Combine ingredients in a large bowl and add 1 cup water. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Egg sub is like the little black dress of cake companions; it goes well with everything.

The Texture: The first time we made this, we used only 1/4 cup of water; it was a little dry and dense, but it reminded us of pound cake, which isn't a bad thing. With a full cup of water, it came out light and fluffy. It had a more substantial, cake-like consistency than the applesauce and soda versions, but it wasn't quite as moist.

The Taste: Good! But it's not our favorite. That one's up next...

Cake Mix + Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
    PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 180 calories, 3.25g fat, 306mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 20g sugars, 3.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (like Fage Total 0%)

Directions:

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Devil's food cake mix. Hands down.

The Texture: The word "velvety" comes to mind... Super moist and decadent! Kind of like a brownie-cake hybrid.

The Taste: YUMMY! Everyone who tried this loved it. There wasn't any yogurt taste at all... just pure cake-tastic deliciousness
  • istutzman
    istutzman Posts: 64
    Options
    Save
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/pineapple-bliss-cupcakes.html

I am going to make these this afternoon. I will let you know how they are! They certainly look yummy!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    ok, these are muffins, but they are shaped like a cupcake, and you could put cream cheese frosting on them if you wanted...

Sweet Potato Muffins

2.5c self rising flour (or make your own using baking powder, can even use wheat flour)
    2 cups sweet potato puree or pumpkin puree (I nuked 4 med/small potatoes for 12 minutes and then put in the food processor)
    3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
    2 eggs (optional)
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 C brown sugar
    1/4 c chocolate chips (optional)

mix together and fill muffin cups about 3/4 full, I got 22 muffins

120 cals, 26g carbs, 1g fat, 2g protein, 182 sodium
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your recipes!! I LOOOOVE angel food so I'll have to try the one with crushed pineapple. actually...I'll have to try all of them! lol just not all at once! I found a curtis stone recipe for vanilla cupcakes with banana frosting and it's only 60 calories! :)
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lnzt, I just checked out Skinnytaste.com, AMAZING site, Love it!!!!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • afcparker
    afcparker Posts: 33
    Options
    bump:)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    So I'm doing my branch's ice breaker activity on Monday and I am doing something with cupcakes...anyway...I need all your recipes for lower calorie but still super yummy cupcakes!
    Gooey-Good German Chocolate Cupcakes

PER SERVING (1 frosted cupcake): 138 calories, 3g fat, 258mg sodium, 25.5g carbs, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 2.5g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

If you're tempted to lick raw batter from the bowl while making these, eat the other half of the Jell-O Pudding Snack instead...

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup light or fat-free caramel dip (like the kinds by Marzetti)
    1 tbsp. finely chopped pecans
    2 tbsp. shredded sweetened coconut
    Half a Jell-O Sugar Free Creamy Caramel or Dulce de Leche Pudding Snack
    2 tbsp. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Two 25-calorie packets hot cocoa mix (like Swiss Miss Diet or Nestlé Fat Free)
    1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated) or granulated sugar
    1/8 tsp. salt
    Half of an 18.25-oz. box (about 1 1/2 cups) moist-style devil's food cake mix
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups and/or spray with nonstick spray; set aside.

To make the frosting, combine caramel dip, pecans, coconut, and pudding in a small bowl; stir until blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Place chocolate chips, cocoa mix, Splenda (or sugar), and salt in a tall glass. Add 1/4 cup very hot water, and stir until ingredients have dissolved. Add 3/4 cup cold water and stir. Transfer to a large bowl, and add cake mix and egg substitute. Mix batter with a whisk or fork until smooth and blended, about 2 minutes.

Evenly distribute batter among the cups of the muffin pan. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out fairly clean.

Allow cupcakes to cool completely, and then top evenly with frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!

MAKES 12 SERVINGS
  • SarahBearNZ
    SarahBearNZ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    keep
  • hebeflora
    hebeflora Posts: 10
    Options
    have a look at my recipe - its on my little blog!
    these cupcakes i made have 39 CALORIES EACH INCLUDING ICING :D

http://therecipescrapbook.blogspot.com/2011/04/low-low-cal-cupcakes.html

hope it helps! x x x