Body Pump

Options
So I'm doing body pump for the first time tonight..I'm nervous! Anyway, I don't have an HRM so how do I know how many calories I will burn? What exercise do I choose in the database?

Replies

• igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I chose strength training.. I think that's what it's called! It's SOOO much fun! You're going to have a blast!!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how you would log it, but I just wanted to say I LOVE Body Pump!! It's such a great all around workout and you will definitely be feeling it tomorrow! When I went to a intro session for body pump, they said you can burn from 400-600 calories depending on your level of exertion.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Circuit training will give you an estimate! I tend to burn 600 calories in a 60 min Body Pump class. It's a great class, you will love it. Be prepared to work hard and be sore 24 hrs after!
  • Dantdc
    Dantdc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! body pump is AWESOME! Dont be nervous, you will do just fine! It works every major muscle in ur body and can burn a over 500 calories in a 1 hour class! Im still trying to figure out how to enter it also ..if u figure it out can you let me know plz? and have a great workout!!
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    I teach BodyPump and I tell my members that the average size person, pushing enough weight will burn 500-600 calories. Don't be nervous!!! :) It's an awesome workout (but I'm a little partial....LOL!) I hope you have a GREAT instructor, that can make a break a first timer....Good Luck and let me know how it goes! You will have to manually enter it in the database....
  • nancymerritt
    Options
    I have been wondering this as well. I am actually a Certified BodyPump Instructor (fairly new) and have been trying to get a better idea of the calorie burn in the class. Les Mills says it is around 500 but obviously that is going to be different for everyone. Just to be on the safe side, I have been guessing low - around 300 calories per class, OR I use the "Strength Training" option for 60 minutes in the Cardio database, but I think that is way too low for a class like BP that is lots of reps, some of which actually get your heart rate up quite a bit.

I think a HRM is probably your best bet to know for sure. I am working on getting one and inputting the info here for a few of the Les Mills programs (BodyCombat, BodyStep, etc.).

Have a great time in the class - I hope you love it!
  • JALlo
    JALlo Posts: 1
    Options
    Enter it as circuit training. The pace of that class is more like circuit training than just weight training. It is a great class. Enjoy! You will love the results!!!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...I love Body Pump! I have been going to classes for almost 2 months and it is a great class. I typically burn about 400-600 calories each class. I have a HRM, so I have been logging as Body Pump, but I think under the Cardio section there is strength training so that you can input your time spent in class. Have a great time!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Is this the same thing as Power Pump? Sounds like it! I'm going to my first class tonight too! So excited! Have fun!!
  • yovivian
    yovivian Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been doing Group Power (basically the same thing) for about 7 months @ 2-3 times a week. I don't know your fitness level or the weights you'll likely use. However, I estimate my calorie burn at about 400 calories for a solid hour of class...probably a little low, but I estimate it based on the fact that it's harder than just walking on a treadmill at 4.0 at incline (and I get 400 calories for an hour of that)--plus I'm building muscle!

As for logging it, I built my own cardio exercise input to track it--60 minutes is 400 calories. That way, I didn't have to figure out every possible exercise.

Enjoy your class! I love it!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    There is a Body Pump activity in the database under cardio which is what I used to use until I got my HRM.
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    Since I am heavier than most, I burn about 900 - 1000 calories in BodyPump! But I push a lot of weight as an instructor. I wear a HRM to get an accurate burn!
  • LaCubana9
    LaCubana9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey, girl! I used to do body pump when I lived in NC (had to stop cuz I moved to Miami & don't wanna join a gym cuz I'm moving to Chicago in about a month or 2). You are going to LOVE that class! It's intimidating, but try to park yourself in the front of the class to watch the instructor very closely for your first 3 or 4 times. You REALLY want to get your form perfect before you start on any real weight because you don't want to hurt yourself. Try to get there early so the regulars in class can brief you on how to set up. It seems long the first time you do it, cuz it's a whole hour (it's about 10 songs that are 5 minutes long- each working one muscle group at a time- starting with warm up song, then legs with squats, then chest, and so on). But after you get used to it, you really get addicted! What I love is that you can keep adding weight, so you'll never grow out of the class.
    About the calorie burn, I myself never had a bodybugg, but most of the girls in class did & they always said the burn for the whole hour was between 300 - 400 calories. Doesn't seem like much, but lemme tell ya- it's gonna shape your body like you wouldn't believe! I haven't touched that class since last August & I still have hardcore legs and calves that would put any man to shame! LOL
    Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions of everyone in there! You'll be kicking *kitten* in no time!
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    Okay I seriously DIED!!! lol. But I loved it at the same time :) My arms feel like they're going to fall off. I'll def be going again!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you enjoyed the class! It is very addicting and I feel lost when I don't get to class...and I predict you will be feeling the burn/pain! I came back to this entry just to see if you posted after class...was glad you did! Have a great evening!