A little upset with myself:(

Options
Today my Pastor treated the staff to IHOP. I already knew that I wasnt going to give in so I had it set that I was going to get myself a salad, and that be it. Well little did I know the salad itself is over 1100 calories and the lemonade was 160 calories. I knew I probably should have chosen from the simple and fit menu but I had no taste for anything else and thought the salad would be atleast 600-800 calories. I was wrong. I'm feel so unaccomplished. I woke up this morning and walked, I ate a decent breakfast, and then I gained enough will power to say "no" to the triple stacked pancakes and bacon for a salad...and to see that I went over today, just crushed me. I will do taebo tonight and burn alot of calories doing that. That should be atleast 755 calories burned and also I will be going for another walk, which should be another 2 or 300 calories right there. So that does encourage me a lot.

PS. Next time I go to IHOP, I'm definitely ordering from the 420 calorie menu lol:)

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    we all do things like that from time to time, the thing to do is realise that whats done is done and learn from it which i think you have.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    don't be upset hun *S* take pride in the different way you are handling it all now compared to in the past perhaps?

Look at you *S* you have plans already made to help offset the meal now..and tomorrow you will do great again *S*
    that wasn't always true was it? But... yay you for your take-charge gameplan! with that mindset you will SO succeed!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Try to think positive. You did a great job by ordering something that you thought would be a better choice :)
  • gagster
    gagster Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Everyone has the occasion to blow their diet. Myself, I went to my grand-son's birthday at the Pizza Parlor plus cake. I hated that I did that but the next day I jumped back into MFP. It just can't be a regular habit. Keep up the good work.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    One meal is a very small setback!!! At least you looked up the calories & now you know for next time!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You just have to be happy that you made a decision and stuck to it and tried. Congrats to you for not caving in and ordering the pancakes, even if the salad wasn't as healthy as you thought!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've done that before too. Tried to make a good decision that blows up in your face. It sucks.

But you actually did the right thing. That salad may have been alot of calories, but they were good for you calories.

A stack of pancakes loaded with butter and syrup is just not good for you.
  • Skunkroaster
    Skunkroaster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey quit beating yourself up over this, tomorrow is another day! A salad is a natural choice at a restaurant when watching your calorie intake sadly more and more restaurants are making this once low calorie choice one of the highest on the menu with the addition of items high in calories and those wonderful salad dressings. As you stated next time you will know better to look at the low-calorie menu. :smile:
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that unless you go over your maintenance calories, one big day isn't going to cause you to GAIN weight. I eat 1200+whatever I work out, but I'd have to eat 2000 to actually GAIN weight. So if I have a meal out and eat 2000 for a day and only burn off 400, I figure even at 1600 I'm still not going to -gain-.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    One meal will not derail your whole program!

Just go back to what has been working for you and you will never notice any difference. But I can feel your pain! I've had similar experiences many times. It is so disappointing to try to do what is right only to get blindsided. Now when I know that I'm going out I research online for nutritional information at the restaraunt that I will be going to and make my choices in advance. It's not foolproof and I don't always have advance notice but it does help a lot. I just bought a smartphone with internet so now I can research on the spot - if my wife doesn't catch me! We are the reverse of many households, I count calories and she laughs at me for it. I won't post our weights but lets just say I feel vindicated by the results, and I say that with love and respect for those who make other choices (my wife!)
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Today my Pastor treated the staff to IHOP. I already knew that I wasnt going to give in so I had it set that I was going to get myself a salad, and that be it. Well little did I know the salad itself is over 1100 calories and the lemonade was 160 calories. I knew I probably should have chosen from the simple and fit menu but I had no taste for anything else and thought the salad would be atleast 600-800 calories. I was wrong. I'm feel so unaccomplished. I woke up this morning and walked, I ate a decent breakfast, and then I gained enough will power to say "no" to the triple stacked pancakes and bacon for a salad...and to see that I went over today, just crushed me. I will do taebo tonight and burn alot of calories doing that. That should be atleast 755 calories burned and also I will be going for another walk, which should be another 2 or 300 calories right there. So that does encourage me a lot.

PS. Next time I go to IHOP, I'm definitely ordering from the 420 calorie menu lol:)

:flowerforyou: Hey precious, don't let the devil trick you into wallowing in the pit... Even if you had to shed a tear, you gotta know.. it was a temporary slip on a long journey to a guaranteed victory... Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and you already remedied your error by working out, so you're actually good, but don't let the enemy work on ya sis... You are triumphant and God wants you to know that YOU LOOK SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU SMILE!!!:bigsmile: :laugh: :happy:

...psss... if it's any help (probably not), my FAVORITE FOOD is pancakes w/ strawberry syrup from IHOP, I can promise you , I wouldn't have made it to a salad, I'd be poking my fork in a stack and fussing at my tummy later :ohwell:
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Look at all that you are doing now that you werent before. It is awesome that you are accounting for what you eat, making plans for better choices, exercising. Look at your accomplishments. We all maker errors now and again. Life is full of them. You are making progress and that counts for A LOT! Be proud of that.

Try not to be too hard on yourself.. You learned something from this and that is all part of making lifestyle changes. As you said, next time you know where you will choose your meal from.. next time, you may even research the nutritional info before you go..

Smile and hold your head high.
  • tejoman
    tejoman Posts: 12
    Options
    Frankly don't worry about it too much! It's good that you feel a little bad because that shows that you definitely care about your own health, but one "bad" salad isn't going to hurt you too much, especially compared to a lot of the other things you could have gotten.
  • KKOLB1
    KKOLB1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you don't let yourself have days where you eat what you want youll cave more often. I've never deprived myself of anything. 1st time I lost weight or this time. I eventually made my goal & it didn't set me back. Just do better tomorrw.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hate those sneaky menu items!!

It likely won't make a difference, and good knowledge for next time!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Stupid salads can be so misleading. I no longer trust salads at ANY restaurant.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain chickie. Went to a bbq joint last weekend, got the bbq turkey plate and green beans, and did pretty good with it. Came in at around 400 calories. On a whim I decided to get a peice of pecan pie, thinking "okay, it will be about another 400 or so,I can burn that off." Got home logged it in, 920 whopping calories in one slice!!! :noway: It really ticked me off, but, like the others said, you just keep moving on. And now you know, for next time. If you have some time go through the nutrition menus online of some of your favorite places to eat so that you can get a feel for what they have available that way if you do find yourself going out to eat on a whim you already have some kind of idea of what you will get.