Is it safe to use for children?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I just saw a video last night of a 9 yr old who drinks shakeology and does Turbo Fire to help him lose weight. I don't think a child needs to count calories I think they need to become more active. Nix tv and extra snacking and get outside. Exercise doesn't have to be a chore it can be something fun like playing a sport, riding bikes outside. It's easier for children to lose weight than adults just have to become more active.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would be most important to just try to teach healthy eating habits and not get the child to start focusing on weight and body issues at this young. Just teach by example. If the child learns healthy habits, then a healthy weight will naturally happen. :flowerforyou:
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would be most important to just try to teach healthy eating habits and not get the child to start focusing on weight and body issues at this young. Just teach by example. If the child learns healthy habits, then a healthy weight will naturally happen. :flowerforyou:

^^THIS!!

I agree that forcing your child to start worrying about weight at such an early age can have adverse effects. I know this from personal experience! My dad would get on to me about being overweight (since the age of 10), and he'd try to force me to go "walk" outside by myself to get exercise rather than engage himself. He also was a big advocate of frying everything in the house and serving that up for dinner with white bread... in my eyes, he did not set a good example for me. My mother never objected to my seconds--someone else wrote that they just tell their child to wait it out to make sure they're still hungry-- that would have been better for me. Worrying about weight so early, I went through constant cycles of depression and then just NOT CARING where I'd eat any and everything and gain more. I remember thinking to myself in high school "why am I trying to fit into these sz 13 (US) when I'm getting muffin top"... and blammo 3 months later I had ballooned into wearing sz 18. It's just not a good way to live out your childhood.

When I was 10, my doctor said "do you know how much weight I want you to lose?" I was 80lb at the time. I said "20?" and he shook his head no. He said, "I don't want you to lose a thing. Let's just try to maintain your weight and you will grow into it." If your doctor is telling you that your child needs to lose weight, try asking them the best way to do so. I 100% feel that if you want your child to exercise, get out there with them so it's not a forced chore, but something fun. Don't expect your kid to make some glorious change while you sit inside and watch TV!