Energy drink addiction? anyone?

Options
jaygirl3
jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
Hi everyone.

Wanted to know if anyone here has an energy drink addiction like me. Three years back, i was addicted to red bull, took about 2 daily. After about three months, i stopped totally. Well two weeks back, i started again, and (i know this sounds crazy), but my head and my emotions seem to calm down when i take the energy drink. My food addiction and insecurities seem to kinda disappear once i take the energy drink. It has a lovely calming effect on me, and helps me concentrate at work or where ever i am. This has not been possible with my usual two cups of coffee. yeah plus it gives me wayyyyy more energy during workouts

However i wanted to ask if its detrimental to my weight loss journey. the brand i take has 135calories per can of which 30g is carb. contains 90g of caffeine.

Replies

• rachyrach1234
    Options
    Mine Is Monster..
    theres something about the taste of monster in the morning...AND i feel totally tired and lazy when i dont drink it
    i dont know how to get over it!!!!!!!!!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They might not kill you calorie wise but they're definitely not good for you. I used to love Monsters but hate drinking my calories no matter how much it is.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love the low cal Monster drink. I have the same reaction to it, calming but energetic at the same time :happy:
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You should try Vitamin B-12 complex instead. Any "artificial" Energy or mass amounts of caffeine are not good.
  • as1789
    as1789 Posts: 46
    Options
    I stopped drinking them, but I used to have at least one a day until like 2 months ago(which is a lot because I used to not drink caffeine or carbonated drinks at all for 8 years). My favorite was Sugar free Amp. It tasted the best to me and it was only 10 calories per can. Win win situation right there!
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Rockstar and after I stopped I had bad headaches. I know it will be hard, but just do it. You will be tired but you will make it! Eat fruit in the morning. natural sugar can give you energy. Good Luck!
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to monster! I almost drink it for the taste now more than anything. I go for the low carb on because I don't like taking in all the sugar. The carbs in these drinks are pretty much all sugar and that can have some affect on your goals. As far as everything else, they are not as bad for you - in moderation - as everyone thinks. Redbull has more herbs and extracts and even certain amino acids which can benefit the body. I don't want to say that it's beneficial to drink an energy drink, but I don't believe it is detrimental.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Monster Absolutley Zero. No sugar, no calories, no other way to start the day!
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to monster! I almost drink it for the taste now more than anything. I go for the low carb on because I don't like taking in all the sugar. The carbs in these drinks are pretty much all sugar and that can have some affect on your goals. As far as everything else, they are not as bad for you - in moderation - as everyone thinks. Redbull has more herbs and extracts and even certain amino acids which can benefit the body. I don't want to say that it's beneficial to drink an energy drink, but I don't believe it is detrimental.

I also think 5 hour energy is a great product if you want less substance and a similar effect.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    never heard of monster. In africa here, its redbull and power horse that are common. would look for it in our stores. maybe i would try wean myself off with that.....................
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have ADD there is some evidence that the drinks could be giving you the effect you are describing (focus, calming etc). Taurine and the B vitamins over time are fine and even the amount of caffeine in a 8.3 oz redbull are ok. You will just pee out the water soluble vitamins (that's why the urine is bright yellow)

Not good the amount of sugar in most energy drinks though- take the carbs and divide by 4 that gives you the tsp of sugar. For example: take 20 carbs/4= 5 tsps sugar. Most 12-16 oz sodas and energy drinks have tons of sugar- that is not good to the weight loss stuff. Some argue that energy drinks before workout are not good one because of heart rate, dehydration, blood pressure to name a few.

As an addictions counselor, I have seen many take too many energy drinks and find they withdrawl when they stop taking them. If you get jittery, nervous, have sleep problems or mood swings- not a good idea and should taper down to off of them- just saying. :wink: