Ouch, my feet........

Options
When I exercise, sometimes it feels like my feet cramp near the arches. It doesn't happen everytime, but it has been going on for years. I've worked out barefoot and in multple tennis shoes. I don't have high arches, but they aren't completely flat either. ANyone know why this happens? I've worn pretty much everything from Nike to Puma, and I recently switched to Reebok ZigZags, but it still happens. Sometimes it's so bad I can't even just stand still and I have to take a break and walk around to stretch out my feet. :(

Replies

• mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch you calves as often as possible....a tight achilles can cause many foot problems. Hang your heels off a step; bend your knees alternately while in downward dog position; flex your feet (pull your toes if you can) in a seated, straight-legged, forward fold.

If it persists, go see a doctor. It could be plantar fascitis, or any number of exercise-related foot injuries.
  • smittycat1234
    Options
    I have a slew of foot problems so I completely understand what you are going through. This may in no way be what you are experiencing so be careful what you read into this and consult a doctor if it continues; but about ten years ago I was having this problem. It turned out that the nerves in my feet were misfiring and attacking the muscles in my fascia. I was on anti seizure medicines for a while to calm them down and after a year or so the problem went away. however, I had previously had a surgery to relieve pressure on these same nerves so it is probably unlikely that your problems are the same as what I was going through. I know that too little potassium in a person's diet can cause cramps like this in the calves, so it might have the same affect on other muscles; try incorporating a banana or two into your diet during the week. If stretching doesn't take care of it I would mention it to your doctor. With all of the foot problems I have I do all of the stretches mschelle suggested above. They are excellent. I usually hang off of a stair four to five minutes with each foot; both with my leg straight and with my knee slightly bent to get the stretch in a slightly different place. To stregthen the muscle in your arch you can lay a towel on the floor and try to gather it up using your toes. To strengthen the achilles hang off of a stair when you are stretching and then raise up onto your toes on the stair. I usually do about 30 reps of those each time I stretch. Good luck with it. I hope my comments are helpful.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I only get cramps in my feet when I'm either dehydrated or my electrolytes are out of whack. So maybe check your hydration levels and your potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium as they all play a role in muscle contractions.
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've had long term problems with foot cramping and spasms so I feel for you and how difficult it can be. For myself personally I've found the only thing that really helps is doing focused foot stretchs at the beginning and end of the day. These include manually bending and flexing the toes. Working down the foot manually pointing the foot pressing at the arch then flexing pressing at the arch. And then just repeatedly pointing, flexing and tilting the foot left and right. It doesn't take very long but its really helped me because I was getting foot spasms and lock-up just from walking at one point. Hope that might help!
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try some things and if it's still a problem I guess I'll call up my Dr. I forgot to mention it at my last visit.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Are you sure you just don't need properly fitted shoes? They do wear out.

I can tell when I need a pair, because my feet are sore just walking on the treadmill but the pain goes away almost as soon as I walk away from the machine.

I now look at fitting shoes like fitting a bra. It's worth the money.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest seeing your doctor to rule out any serious issues, and then head directly to your local running store. Not your sports store, but a local store that caters to runners. They should be equipped to do a serious analysis of your feet/stride. Expect them to video you from behind on a treadmill, do some balance tests, and many other little things that tell them a lot. They'll steer you to the right pair of shoes for you, and if appropriate, an insole that may help as well (the insoles are about the same cost as the shoes). I can't tell you what a difference this has made for me, my hubby, my two daughters and a bunch of clients. There are different categories of shoes and being in the wrong category or the wrong shoe in the right category can make a person miserable. I ran a short 5K in a pair of shoes that were close but not right on, and my feet felt just like you describe. Changed back to the ones picked just for me, and everything was better. Instantly. Never underestimate a properly chosen/fitted shoe. They can make a world of difference.

But first a visit with your doctor might be in order ... if just for the peace of mind that you checked that all out.

Good luck!!!