Not seeing a difference in weight despite eating better?

Options
Does anyone have this problem?

I weigh 134.0 lbs and have weighed more or less the same for the past 6 months (when I started paying attention).

I wasn't watching what I was eating 6 months ago and ate decent meals (though in large portions) and had junk food regularly (especially before bed), and through all this I maintained the 134.0 lb weight.

About 4 months ago, I started to watch what I ate more and incorporated salads into my meals during lunch and made a conscious effort to eat better. Still no change in weight. So I went back to not caring and ate whatever I wanted and lo and behold, STILL THE SAME WEIGHT.

I started seriously tracking what I ate almost 2 weeks ago in MFP and have kept within my calorie range almost everyday...I even excercise at least 5 times a week, including bike riding, but STILL NO CHANGE IN WEIGHT.

What is going on??!? Does anyone else have this problem?? While you might read this and think "wow, eat and drink whatever I want and still be the same weight?!? That's awesome!" I would think that too, except I do NOT want to be at this weight. I am trying to stay around 126 lbs, though I'd take anything below 130 lbs at this point.

Any advice?

Replies

• BusyMomma2012
    BusyMomma2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe now that you are working out you are gaining muscle, which weights more? You should try measuring instead to see if you are getting slimmer.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out...if you're eating the same amount of calories you were albeit healthier ones, you're not gonna lose.
  • Dandan26
    Dandan26 Posts: 7
    Options
    Your weight is the same, but perhaps your body composition is changing? If you are burning fat and building muscle, you probably won't lose weight but you will be more tone and healthy.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    How long are you going on your change before you change it from not seeing results? You might not be giving it long enough to adjust to your new way of eating.

are you watching your sodium?
    drinking enough water?

EDIT: I just peeked at your journals. You need to be drinking more water and also add your sodium to your journal so you can watch it. Sodium is a *****. Also your journal is very yo-yo. You do good one day, over the next, under the next...you have to stay either under or over... a steady stream is better than a yo-yo one. Keep focused and it'll come. Don't get discouraged after a week or not seeing anything happen...it takes a bit for the body to adjust. and remember WATER, WATER, WATER.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurement? Just because you aren't losing lbs don't mean you aren't losing inches. The scale can lie sometimes whereas inches don't. If you haven't, I would recommend doing so. Also watch your sodium intakes, it can cause you to retain water. Make sure to also be drinking enough water (atleast 8 glasses a day).
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    Have you tracked your measurements? I've found sometimes the tape measure tells a better story than the scale.

Some of the things that have helped me:

Cut way back on carbs (breads, pasta, rice, etc). I get most of my carbs now from fresh fruits and veggies
    Little or no junk food (candy, chips, fast food)
    Cut way back on carbonated soft drinks and alcohol (1 to 2 a month)
    Try to drink at least 64 oz of water per day.
    Exercise vigorously at least 4 times a week.
  • fridaythe13th
    Options
    Hmm, I am definitely eating much less in calories and have cut out grains/breads/pastas considerably, but I don't think I am gaining muscle? The main "excercise" I do is walking and usually about 3 miles a day (3 mph pace). When I ride my bike, it is around the neighborhood and there aren't any real hills so I doubt I am getting muscles from that.

I should probably start measuring my waist line or something (is that a good place to start?) I don't think I am losing inches because my clothes still fit the same. I know I must have gained weight sometime over 6 months ago because I am pretty flat on top so stomach weigh is VERY noticeable...
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Numbers on the scale just really aren't a good indicator of anything.....measurements are much more revealing. It sounds like you have a good metabolism, but eating healthier is about so much more than losing weight. Are you making sure that you are eating enough, and keeping a 1200 calorie NET? I would encourage you to track measurements for awhile and compare them, as well as make sure that you are eating enough to keep your metabolism revved up and burning calories. :)
  • fridaythe13th
    Options
    How long are you going on your change before you change it from not seeing results? You might not be giving it long enough to adjust to your new way of eating.

drinking enough water?

EDIT: I just peeked at your journals. You need to be drinking more water and also add your sodium to your journal so you can watch it. Sodium is a *****

Really? I never really thought about sodium before. I will start tracking, thanks! :)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

drinking enough water?

EDIT: I just peeked at your journals. You need to be drinking more water and also add your sodium to your journal so you can watch it. Sodium is a *****

Really? I never really thought about sodium before. I will start tracking, thanks! :)

I saw a story on front page of yahoo a few days ago that has linked high sodium intake to obesity. Sodium plays a HUGE roll in our lives especially now a days with so many packaged items. I try so hard to not go over but some days are harder than others...
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems! Grrrr!!

Never understood how I could maintain my weight eating a certain way and not regularly exercising, and not drop weight when adding exercise and healthier eating/fewer calories.

I don't have an answer, other than be patient and keep incorporating exercise and healthy eating?

I would be interested to see if it changes for you, or what some solid reasons could be...
  • fridaythe13th
    Options
    I have had the same problems! Grrrr!!

Never understood how I could maintain my weight eating a certain way and not regularly exercising, and not drop weight when adding exercise and healthier eating/fewer calories.

I don't have an answer, other than be patient and keep incorporating exercise and healthy eating?

I would be interested to see if it changes for you, or what some solid reasons could be...

Glad I'm not alone! A few people pointed out that I wasn't being as consistent in my caloric intake as I thought I was...denial anyone? :)
    I am going to continue tracking and trying to stay within my goals and look again in two weeks. Wish me luck!