Big Challenge Today - Ball Park Dining

Options
KimDis
KimDis Posts: 24 Member
So I'm into my 2nd week of major changes including Jenny Craig & exercise. I've eaten out responsibly a few times but I'm a bit nervous about the ballpark.

I should just do sushi... but I love hotdogs & pretzels & I know I'm gonna want them. My plan so far is to use a Meal On My Own (4oz protein, 2 carbs, 1 veg, 1 fat) as my dinner and to use the app to stay within my daily calories.

I'm pretty comfy with managing the calories... but I'm very concerned about the sodium derailing my progress.

WIll all this salt mess everything up? What would you do?

Replies

• kimberlygo
    Options
    I had this problem recently when I went to a basketball game. I ended up getting a hot dog (1) and a diet coke. I was sad, but in the end I felt so accomplished. Your other alternative is to work out extra hard prior to going.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Salt isn't going to derail real progress. It might make the scale go up temporarily but it's not like you gained fat. Now that would really derail your progress!

Plus, you can combat the issues sodium causes by drinking extra water.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would eat a BIG MEAL before I went to the ballpark and not eat there :laugh:

AT&T park has a lot of the nutritionals posted online - perhaps your park does, too!
  • groucherella
    Options
    I cannot step foot into a ballpark without the overwhelming urge to gnaw through a hotdog. it's just good sportsmanship and helps rally your team.

All joking aside, I'd down as much water as I could and I'd own the hot dog.
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food, as long as its not a regular thing! I always get a hot dog when I go to a baseball game. Its tradition! Just drink lots of water and maybe avoid some of the other things but I found if I deprive myself of something I end up eating something 2x as bad later.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Since I only make it to one Phillies game a year I plan ahead. I make sure I workout the morning of the game and the next day. I eat light troughot the day and plan to expend the most calories at the ball park (this time I had $10 worth of food vouchers to spend).

I bought a Philly style steak sandwich called the Schmitter (named after Mike Schmidt) topped with salami and cheese. It is the ONLY place you can get this sandwich!! And since I only get there ONCE a year it was a welled planned treat!

And I still lost 1 pound when I weighed in on Friday. Plenty of water the next day!!

Good luck and aenjoy the game!!!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Having a little extra sodium/fat/calories 1 day a week/month/every few months isn't all that bad. Try not to go overboard with it but having a hot dog or a pretzel isn't the end of the world.

It's good to treat yourself every once in awhile, just don't do it every day!
  • KimDis
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I've saved my snack, an extra dairy & fruit so that I can have options. Plus I looked on their website & have a better idea of how I can fill up on safe things like salad.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I don't know where you're from but in my park (Dodger Stadium) we can bring in our own food (but not drinks). My friends and I sometimes take a healthy potluck picnic when we go. Check out the park's website for the rules and see if you can bring your own goodies too. I bring healthy substitutes for all the things I would otherwise be tempted by like peanuts, hotdogs and ice cream. You leave having had fun (if your team wins) and not having felt deprived.
  • KimDis
    Options
    Did well - had a hotdog & half the bun along with my Jenny snack. Drank water & 8oz of MIller Lite.

Would've gotten a salad but it was pretty crowded in our section & I didn't feel like climbing over everyone.

Yay for dealing with real life :)
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a ball game tonight as well. I'll be in the same boat.

We'll see how it goes!
  • kcjdelaney
    Options
    The hot dog was better than the curly W pretzel, for sure. It is a shame that they don't post the calories on their boards. Most places in Philly (except for the ballpark strangely) are required to post the calories on everything. Now I'm going to look for that info the next time I'm down there!
  • Specialk988
    Options
    I use one major "dining out" trick, ALWAYS toss out half the bun. And remember if your sneaky you can smuggle in healthy snacks to the ball park! I did that when I was on Jenny Craig!