Time Frame Between Eating & Excercise

Options
Anyone know the proper amount of time that you should wait after eating, say dinner before you can exercise?

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I always wait an hour. I don't know if this is the "correct" time to wait, but it works for me :)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    That's something I need to know too....
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I always find an hour is long enough too. Any less and I feel all uggghhhh!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Whenever your stomach can handle it. No hard and fast rules, just when you feel good. Everyone is different. I can do a light/moderate workout right after I eat. But heavier work outs, I have to wait at least an hour after a heavy meal. After just a quick whole wheat bagel, I can even do heavier workouts within about 15 minutes or so.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Depends on you really. I dont think their is an ultimate answer. Depends on what I am doing. weights I can eat about 30 mins to an hour before I do the workout. Cardio, forget it I can maybe do 2 hours before.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same exact thing for past couple of weeks now. To avoid it I have just been exercising before I eat (lunch & dinner).
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    In the mornings I wait 30 - 60 minutes after breakfast (they're not to heavy), but after big meals I've heard you should wait 2 hours.

My Davina workout DVDs say to wait 2 hours after a HEAVY meal.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone. For me, I can't do any sort of intense work out if I have eaten basically...anything. I will get nauseous and feel like I am going to puke if I have too much food or liquid in my stomach. So for me, if I am planning a high intense cardio or strength program that day, I HAVE to do it in the morning, before breakfast. I usually drink a coconut water about 30 minutes before I do my work out.. the natural glucose and fructose (the good sugars) from the coconut water give me enough energy so I don't die during the work out, provide hydration, and don't make me sick at all.

If your work out is going to be something simpler like a long walk and a moderate pace, I would recommend just not being full from eating still. An hour should do the trick :) hope that helps!
  • perfumescents
    Options
    Yeah I think I always work-out before I eat anything because I have heard that it should be 2 hrs. So there is no way that I can work out after I eat dinner because it would put my time at being to close for sleep & then I won't be able to sleep from the hipe I get after the workout. Great job for getting it done first thing, that helps boost your energy for the day. Thank you for the reply.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    I heard that too so I guess the eating first in the evening is out for me, great job on the getting out of the way in the am hours. Good luck with you program & thanks for the reply.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far your doing great. So the basic time frame seems to be 2 hrs so I will definately not eating before a workout in the evening. Keep up the good work.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    Wow, your doing great on your weight program. Keep up the good work. I will keep all that in mind. Thanks for the reply.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    Your doing great on your weight loss program, keep up the good work & thanks a bunch for the reply.
  • perfumescents
    Options
    Thanks a bunch everyone. One-Two hours seems to be the norm. Great job & keep up the good work