Are HRMs worth it?

Options
I'm in a class called Turbo Kick this semester that's been good for helping me get into shape, but lately I feel like my progress has stalled. I was looking at another post about HRMs and I wanted to ask:

Are they worth it?

I don't have a ton of extra money (college student + today's economy = bad things) but I consider my health and fitness to be a priority. So I'm prepared to do this as an early Christmas present to myself. Also, which HRMs do you think are the best?

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm in a class called Turbo Kick this semester that's been good for helping me get into shape, but lately I feel like my progress has stalled. I was looking at another post about HRMs and I wanted to ask:

Are they worth it?

I don't have a ton of extra money (college student + today's economy = bad things) but I consider my health and fitness to be a priority. So I'm prepared to do this as an early Christmas present to myself. Also, which HRMs do you think are the best?

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YES.

It's wonderful to know that the elliptical tells dirty lies in the calories burned it presents, or that walking uphill burns so many more calories than walking downhill, or which exercises do more for you (caloricly speaking).

I :heart: my HRM, which btw, is a Reebok Precision XT which I found one day on woot.com for $20. I know everyone here loves Polar, but look around. You might be able to find some deals if you are lacking in cash, although Christmas time is drawing near!
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!! I'm a student so it made a huge dent in my pocket but definitely get one! They're great
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM like a month ago and love to see how many calories I have burned. I spent with shipping $60 on ebay. Mine is not a polar. I love it however. It has a chest strap which I have heard is more accurate.
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    Go to amazon.com there the cheapest and you can read the reviews to know if you want it or not.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    YES.

It's wonderful to know that the elliptical tells dirty lies in the calories burned it presents, or that walking uphill burns so many more calories than walking downhill, or which exercises do more for you (caloricly speaking).

I :heart: my HRM, which btw, is a Reebok Precision XT which I found one day on woot.com for $20. I know everyone here loves Polar, but look around. You might be able to find some deals if you are lacking in cash, although Christmas time is drawing near!

I too have the Reebok Precision XT from Woot.com, and I love it!! :love: I never knew how wrong the HRM's on the machines were!! My body burns so many more calories than I ever thought. The first time I wore it on my treadmill, the treadmill said that I had burned 352 calories and my HRM said that I had actually burned closer to 750!!! That is a huge difference and the sole reason I think that I wasn't losing weight at first. I wasn't eating all of my exercise calories because I didn't know I was burning so many more than the machine said. I definitely recommend you get one!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Once you have one, you can't believe you've ever survived without it. Especially when counting calorie, it is a invaluable asset.

I have a Polar F4 with chest strap. :flowerforyou:
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 with the chest strap, which I got at D*ck's Sporting Goods. I agree that they're totally worth it! (Oh my goodness, I had to edit the name of the store! I'm cracking up!)
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    My HRM is one of the best investments in my new fit lifestyle that I could ever have made.
    I paid 25 total for a Nike on ebay.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 here and LOVE it! I actually exercise more because I think....hmmmm burned 295 lets make it 300 and the next thing I know it is 350!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I have been hesitant on getting also. I tell my husband I need one and he laughs at me sometime. I do wii fit and have no earthly idea what kinds of calories I am burning so I don't know what to eat to make up for it. I think I am gonna get me one and real soon.