weight lifting at home

Options
Ok so I am hoping to get some advice on beginner weight lifting programs that I can do from home. I have finally reached my goal weight...YAY.. but now I want to focus on toning up and getting ripped. does anyone have advice on a good place for me to start?

As of now I run 3 times a week and in addition to that I do 1 hour of cardio ( zumba or elliptical) every day. Lots of people have suggested P90X but I am a stay at home mom of 2... so I am hoping to avoid buying into expensive programs... I have gotten this far without a gym or expensive programs and I hope to continue without them :-) I don't mind buying DVD's or kits (that are reasonably priced)

Anyways... any advice is welcomed :-)

Thanks bunches!!!

Wish me luck at being bikini ready by this summer!!! :-) its been near 6 years since I have worn one!!!!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not to be the wet blanket but you DO know that downloading from a torrent site is PIRACY and therefore ILLEGAL right? Just sayin.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I have turbo jam- bought and Insanity bought, but we down loaded P90x. If not even wanting that-what sort of equipment do you have and I can make some suggestions?
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    www.bodyweightculture.com

They have all kinds of bodyweight exercises there.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    ChaLean Extreme....or you could do Julian Micheals 30-day shred (cheap at Walmart)...but ChaLean is better.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Not to be the wet blanket but you DO know that downloading from a torrent site is PIRACY and therefore ILLEGAL right? Just sayin.

LOL I was like... ok I don't know what the heck a torrent site is... and now i know why. thanks for the advice guys but any legal option would be great LOL
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have this dvd, I will be honest and say I havent tried it but it looks really good:

http://www.amazon.com/30-Minutes-Fitness-Weights-Coffey-Meyer/dp/B00170C15O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302808019&sr=8-3

I havent tried it because I am able to get to the gym every day and do circuit training and body pump each twice a week so I havent really need to work out at home.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    On the legal side :wink: ...If you have Netflix, you can rent any of the Biggest Loser or Jillian Michaels DVDs...they have some great beginner (and intermediate) weight training stuff in their programs. A few of my faves are 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, and Last Chance Workout. They all incorporate cardio and weights so you get a complete workout.

P90X and other BeachBody workouts are not available through Netflix :( They are fantastic for more advanced training, though!

Cable or Satellite On Demand programs also have fitness sections with weight training shows.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options

LOL I was like... ok I don't know what the heck a torrent site is... and now i know why. thanks for the advice guys but any legal option would be great LOL

I hear some libraries have copies of P90X available to borrow. Maybe that's an option.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have turbo jam- bought and Insanity bought, but we down loaded P90x. If not even wanting that-what sort of equipment do you have and I can make some suggestions?

I have two sets of dumb bells (3lbs and 5lbs) I have an ab lounge, 8lb medicine ball, elliptical, weighted jump rope, uuumm i think thats all.

I dont mind spending a little money if needed... and i probably will need to.. but not spending money and just working with what i have is always great LOL.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner DVD's...they are like 10-14 dollars. I do them everyday!!!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you have Exercise TV on Demand you can pick from hundreds of weight training/strength training videos also!
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could also go with the 4 litre (1 gallon) milk jugs filled with water etc.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in body weight exercises check out MDA's Primal Blueprint fitness available for free here. It's a nice read.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-fitness/

For beginner weight lifting, I plan to purchase a book called starting strength. I've heard great things about this book, as far as, learning the proper form to minimize injuries and maximize your progression.