P90x - For a Newbie - Need Advice

Options
Hi All,

So I have been working out at my local 24HR Fitness for the last couple of weeks mainly elliptical, spin and stationary bike. Workouts last 45 minutes to an hour plus and I do it 4x per week. I am getting into a routine that I like. My goal right now is Cardio and weight loss but eventually strength and to loose my gut.

Last night a friend asked me to work out with him as he is doing P90x. So here is where I need people to weigh-in (no pun intended) with honesty:

1) Should I do this right now - what are the risks / rewards?
2) What did P90x do for you?
3) As a newvbie to working out again should I wait?
4) Any other thoughts suggestions etc.

Thanks
D

Replies

• starboardzor
    Options
    You get what you put into it! The moves are VERY hard. I've been doing the videos for months and I still can't do absolutely everything. But I do the best I can, modify when I need to, and I love what it's done to my body. I think as long as you aren't in terrible shape, you can start it anytime. Just don't expect it to be easy. And it really makes a difference when you follow the program the way it's intended rather than just whenever you feel like doing it. It's a huge time committment.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself in super great fitness, and I started my exercises/calorie counting journey Jan 31st. I started P90X four days ago and I can do it. I do modify some moves and sometimes I can't get through all the reps either, but I do love the P90X series. I say go for it.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am on my last 2 weeks of P90x. I love it! And as the other poster said you do get what you put into it. I still have trouble with some of the exercises, like the more advanced push-ups and pull-ups...but I push myself to do as much as I can. I have seen great results with it. And will continue to incorporate it with my workouts after the 90 days is over.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am on my first cycle through P90x (I'm doing the classic program as well as a half marathon training program). I have three weeks left after today.

1.) Risks are very possible - you need to pay attention to your own body during this program. If you push too hard, you could very well hurt yourself. You need to balance between pushing hard enough to see changes and feel the "burn" while still being safe and not tearing/spraining/straining anything. The rewards are the same as many other workouts - you are doing intense exercise 6 days a week for about an hour at a time. I wouldn't call it magic - I'd call it getting a very good return for your exercise time.
    2.) For me P90x has caused more than anything for me to lose inches (and presumably body fat) while not really impacting my weight loss terribly much. I am not following their meal plan, I'm sticking to mostly clean eating and logging my calories here in MFP. It has also caused me to develop some seriously, seriously impressive shoulders/delts - and my pecs/biceps/back are getting pretty good too. I also out pushupped my husband the other day - and I was pretty darn proud of that! That being said - you get out of it what you put into it. So if you just phone it in, you aren't going to see results like the informercial.
    3.) How much of a newbie are we talking? Can you workout for an hour or more without stopping? It is a DVD and you can press pause or take breaks and what have you. It is a hard program. It is intended to BE HARD and it should be hard to get good results in terms of inches/fat loss and muscle gain. Should you wait? Maybe - you could also try a couple of the workouts to see if you think you're able to complete parts of the program. I watched all the DVDs before I started to make sure that there wasn't anything I KNEW I couldn't do.
    4.) The biggest thing for me? PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BODY. I'd put it in bigger letters if I could. It's really easy to go one of two ways with P90x I think. The "oh, this is too hard" route and the "YARGH! I am awesome and I can do anything" route - both of which are bad. Push yourself harder than the first route and try to actually benefit from working out but the second route of ignoring bodily signals (like lightheadedness, barfing, stabbing pains, etc, etc) can be highly detrimental. Also - eat well. Seriously, this workout really can work but if you're not eating healthy and trying to stay with reasonable calories - why waste your time?

Hopefully this helps!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I too, am almost done with my 1st and probably last round of P90x. It's a killer, but I am stronger and I see definition. Did I lose weight, 3lbs but I have lost a lot of inches and I'm just in awe that I have come this far.

If you are in a routine that you like and it's working for you, then stay there. Just be knowledgeable that P90x is out there should you ever want to "Bring It!"
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Well, some of the workouts are quite hard if you are not much used to working out. However, during the video they tell you to go at your own pace. You don't have to do as many reps as the guys and woman do in it. Do what you can, meaning that it's better to do less moves in perfect form, than just getting hurt because you tried to do the same and your body was not up to it.

Finish the whole workout, even if with less reps, much less weight, or less intensity.

That's what I've done. ^_^

Good luck!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    lets see i dropped 25 lbs.. only lost one 1lb the first month but as i continued weight came off, went down 2 pant sizes and several inches, i have a before after pic in my profile.. i'm on 2nd round now.. its hard but do able so i say go for it, if you stick with it you'll see results
  • sjmartinez
    Options
    i did p90x three years ago and pansied out, however i am at and completed my first week. Within one week i lost 1 inch and dropped two pounds while still eating right and consuming enough calories according to MFP.

I was sore every day but the soreness worked itself out with each workout. I definitely do not do every single rep they do in the videos and I don't make it through the entire yoga x only 35 minutes, but I think whats important is that I show up and press play.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Awesome program. I lost 24lbs my first round
    Great to have a workout partner.