Stress???

Options
I'm a big stress eater. The past few days at work have been getting worse. I have been going nuts trying to not eat because I know its only cause I'm stressed. Does anyone have any ideas to help my stress. I've tried breathing and that doesn't always work.

Replies

• nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    push ups! thats what i do when im stressed...:wink::wink:
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    walk, dance, any kind of cardio! it will make you feel so much better and release the stress!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Walking, exercise, journaling, blogging, hugging someone. I put inspirational quotes and scriputure all around too.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a good cry, haha. Not that I recommend that...
  • EmHert
    EmHert Posts: 3
    Options
    I spend time with my pets - that's a definite stress reliever! :) But I also like to go to the On Demand section of my cable provider & check out new work out videos on the exercise tv channcel. They have some quick 10 minute workouts that are really great. Chewing gum almost constantly is how I keep from eating!! Good luck!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Doing cardio is a great stress reliever try Zumba it's a lot of fun it will take your mind off the stress... and it's FUN!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    Maybe something like a cup of warm, calming tea would help?
    Sometimes I get up from my desk & take a quick walk around the block (though not all jobs would allow this kind of thing).
    Or maybe some kind of aromatherapy would help. I have never tried it, but a friend of mine keeps a couple vials of smelly oils in her desk and she swears they help her. I don't remember which scents she uses, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to research.
    Hang in there.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i exercise to relieve the stress but when it comes to avoiding stress eating I do 2 things (this also works for other types of emotional eating):
    1. rank my HUNGER on a scale of 1-10 (1 being just ate full and 10 being havent eaten in days starving)
    2. Think of 5 reasons why i want to be healthy or reasons i shouldnt be stressed (i.e. thinking only of things i have control over)

then if #1 is higher than 5 i'll eat otherwise i'll think of #2 to keep me motivated. if all else fails here are the alternatives:

Plan B: write cause of stress on a sticky note then crumple it (this is the fun part) and throw it away. do this as many times as it takes to stop stressing.

Plan C: blog
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    Maybe something like a cup of warm, calming tea would help?
    Sometimes I get up from my desk & take a quick walk around the block (though not all jobs would allow this kind of thing).
    Or maybe some kind of aromatherapy would help. I have never tried it, but a friend of mine keeps a couple vials of smelly oils in her desk and she swears they help her. I don't remember which scents she uses, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to research.
    Hang in there.

Thanks, I will try that. Doing exercises at work is not something I can do so I hope this will help.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You could try doing meditation during your lunch break, exercising after work to help relieve some of the stress that builds up in your system. Maybe take some low calorie snacks so that when you must munch on something you have something at hand that won't hurt your progress. Or maybe take a trip out of town to let get yourself a breather. Last case scenario, and somewhat more extreme: I don't know exactly what your situation is, but, when it comes down to it, a job is just that. A job. It's something you do to make rent/get groceries/pay bills. Don't kill yourself for it, because if you do the company is just going to replace you with the next person in line. That being said, if the job is affecting your health and you don't see a way to balance it with your life, then quit. That's what I did. Was in a line of work for 8 years, made good money doing it but it was killing me mentally and physically. Last March I said "screw it" and quit. Suddenly I'm sleeping at night, my chest no longer hurts, I'm not struck with anxiety attacks, and exercising and dieting are so much easier. I see some of the people who I used to work with, and they look haggard, tired and stressed out all the time.... no thank you. Took a major pay cut and have had to cut out some of the amenities but life is much much happier. Like I said, kind of extreme but you have to look out for number one, which is you, not the company.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird, but if you're an animal person, the years when I owned a guinea pig were the most stress free times of my life. LOLOL. There's just something about playing with them that made my stress melt away, whether it'd be taking her out into the yard for her to eat grass or just letting her chill on my lap while I read. I'm sure a dog or cat could get the job done as well, but for me? I miss owning a guinea pig so so so much! :frown:

Haha, if that was too weird, I always have myself a hot mug of lady earl grey tea with sugar (can't have fakey sugar, I get migraines), honey and lemon. <3
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    It may sound weird, but if you're an animal person, the years when I owned a guinea pig were the most stress free times of my life. LOLOL. There's just something about playing with them that made my stress melt away, whether it'd be taking her out into the yard for her to eat grass or just letting her chill on my lap while I read. I'm sure a dog or cat could get the job done as well, but for me? I miss owning a guinea pig so so so much! :frown:

Haha, if that was too weird, I always have myself a hot mug of lady earl grey tea with sugar (can't have fakey sugar, I get migraines), honey and lemon. <3

That's not weird. I have an amazing Jack Russell named Patches. She's my baby and she sure does make me happy when I go home. If I could take her to work with me then I would never have stress lol!
  • janitsio
    janitsio Posts: 8
    Options
    I find that chewing sugar free gum helps. It takes away the need to eat something but your mouth is satisfied.
  • mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options

I am the same way with my ferret! If I'm having a bad day, stressed, or sad I just get him up and hold him (for as long as he'll let me haha) and it just seems to go away. Cant stay upset when you are playing with a cute little weasel!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Buy a day pass to the gym and sweat it out...or cry...I do either or lol