I lost more weight without trying

Options
Whenever I am home for summer- which is around 3 months or longer- I tend to lose a lot of weight. Last summer I lost about 25 lbs just by eating less, eating healthier, and I hardly exercised besides occasionally taking short swims in our pool or taking short walks... nothing strenuous, just basic exercise. I lost 25 lbs without trying.

I got back to school and gained it all back.. plus some. (obviously I didn't eat as healthy and blah blah)

Now I am at school and am eating healthy, watching my daily calories, and exercising anywhere between 4-7 days per week for 35-60 mins, sometimes more. So far I have lost only 8 lbs doing this and I feel like at my next weigh in I won't have lost anymore. I don't get it... why isn't effort working?

This cycle of weight loss/gain happens almost every year since I've been in college.

Replies

• SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way today. :-/
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    stress?? I know school puts a lot of extra stress on me and stress makes you hold onto weight more
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep and drinking enough water?
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    stress?? I know school puts a lot of extra stress on me and stress makes you hold onto weight more

I kind of thought it might be stress, but I really don't get stressed about school!
  • ybba12490
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep and drinking enough water?

hmm, it could be that I don't get enough sleep. I work nights, either 11pm-3am or 3am-7am and sometimes its hard to get good sleep. And yes, most days I drink 8+ cups of water!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I just watch what I eat and not exercise I lose weight faster and have a bigger lose weekly, but when I watch what I eat and exercise I lose weight a lot slower. You are losing weight though and even though the weight is coming off slower you're be less likely to lose your lean muscle.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    If you are eating the school's food, then you are probably getting more calories than you think you are. The servings tend to be larger, and even the healthier things, like salads and vegetables, may be loaded with high fat, high calorie stuff. It is really hard to eat better when you are at the mercy of someone else's food.
  • ybba12490
    Options
    If you are eating the school's food, then you are probably getting more calories than you think you are. The servings tend to be larger, and even the healthier things, like salads and vegetables, may be loaded with high fat, high calorie stuff. It is really hard to eat better when you are at the mercy of someone else's food.

I don't eat from the dining hall lines, but I will eat the whole grain bread they serve, apples, bananas etc because I know what the calories are.. I basically eat the stuff that's still in the package. And I buy a lot of snacks and keep them in my room, so I know all the calories on those.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How long have you been back in school trying to lose weight?
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, it's scientifically proven that high stress levels and large secretions of cortisol (and other 'stress' hormones) cause weight to be gained and stored especcially in the abdomen. Makes sense i suppose, way back in human history a major cause of stress would have been not having enough food, it's part of our fight or flight responce. Basically because your stressed your body panicks thinking something physically dangerous is going to happen. It's also likely that during the summer you are actually doing more than you realise, because you are less stressed and enjoying yourself, therefore not noticing the effort as much. He he he future mental health nurse here.
  • ybba12490
    Options
    Anyone should feel free to look at my food diary :) I think one of the problems is that some days I am already under my daily cals by about 300, then I exercise which sets me wayyy back, and even after eating dinner I'll be 700 under my daily cals, so I may be under eating. Should I try not exercising/light exercising for a week or so and see what happens?

**edit: don't look at my diary for today, lol, terrible!!!
  • ybba12490
    Options
    How long have you been back in school trying to lose weight?

I've only been trying to lose for about a month, so maybe I'm being a little impatient :) lol
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It took me three solid months to lose 21 pounds working out 7 days a week and staying under my calorie goal. I weighed 136 starting out and weighed in at 115 today. Be patient with yourself, don't try to lose too fast. But I will say that if you aren't eating enough calories, your body will store fat. You gotta give it fuel and treat it right. It will respond.
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    Options
    I often feel the same way. I think it really does help to have the occasional few days where I allow myself to eat a bit more... Sometimes this is at the weekend, or sometimes it's a meal out with friends or something... Now, I don't know the science behind this, or if it's just bull, but it's meant to help kick start your metabolism again so it doesn't get used to what you're doing. I'm sure this is the same with exercise too... That's why you have to mix it up a bit :)
  • ybba12490
    Options
    I often feel the same way. I think it really does help to have the occasional few days where I allow myself to eat a bit more... Sometimes this is at the weekend, or sometimes it's a meal out with friends or something... Now, I don't know the science behind this, or if it's just bull, but it's meant to help kick start your metabolism again so it doesn't get used to what you're doing. I'm sure this is the same with exercise too... That's why you have to mix it up a bit :)

I have heard of this, and I am definitely giving myself "treat" days every so often.
    Thanks for everyones help!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Do you work the night shift at home? Working at night throws off your cortisol levels, this is why people who work night shift have so much trouble with their weight.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You want to know why you haven't lost as much weight in a month of school + dieting as you lost in 3 months of summer + dieting, when you've lost almost exactly 1/3 the weight?

Yeah, I'd say you're being impatient. 8 pounds in a month is tremendous progress.
  • ybba12490
    Options
    You want to know why you haven't lost as much weight in a month of school + dieting as you lost in 3 months of summer + dieting, when you've lost almost exactly 1/3 the weight?

Yeah, I'd say you're being impatient. 8 pounds in a month is tremendous progress.

well thanks, I realize it takes time but I guess time seems to be moving slow over here lol. I am trying to be more patient but I just want it off now!!
  • ybba12490
    Options
    Do you work the night shift at home? Working at night throws off your cortisol levels, this is why people who work night shift have so much trouble with their weight.

No I don't work the night shift at home. I am trying to get on day shift now because I am not getting enough sleep... and I never thought about that being the reason I am slowly losing.. that makes so much sense.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    8 lbs. in one month is awesome. And if you think about it, it took you three months over the summer to lose 25 lbs., and at this rate, in two more months, you'll have lost... 24 lbs. So you really didn't lose more weight when you weren't trying, and you didn't lose it any faster, either. In fact, where you are at now is a healthy weight loss- it averages out to 2 lbs. a week. Which you really shouldn't be losing more than that per week anyways! Looks like you are doing great... I don't see what the problem is!! :wink: