How much burn is too much burn?

Options
Okay. We have an elliptical machine. In fact, it is staring at me, mocking my inadequacy, as I write this. I'm not sure I know the right way to work out on this beast. How much time should warm up/cool down be and at what pace? And how long is best time to do the cardio part? I'm a beginning exercised and am onlyy used to walking for about a half hour every day, a "walk the dog" pace, but am definitely not working up a sweat. I'm just not sure how much burn is too much burn and how do you know? I don't want to overdue it. Should I go by heart rate? Any recommendations?

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My batteries have gone on mine, but I do 10-25 mins about 4 times a week in the morning, as well as walking my dog for at least an hour every day, and having an active p-t job.

I'd say if you're not used to it, set yourself a challenge of 10 mins, and go at a pace you feel comfortable. 10 minutes every day is nothing really. Then after a few days you'll be used to that, and then you could up the pace. It should get your sweating and your heart rate up. I burn 99 cals for 10 mins. :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is a good indication of exertion (which is what you want to be doing). Shoot for 150 -170 (maybe 180) for a real work out. This doesn't have to be all the time. A HR of 130-150 is plenty if you're just starting out. Working your heart more (thus increasing heart rate) burns more calories than being at a resting or slightly elevated heart rate (which is probably what you're getting). Working your heart has also been proven to increase stamina and heart muscles strength, so getting your HR high is very beneficial for overall heath.

OR you could go by sweat and breathing! If you're breathing hard enough that you can't talk to someone then you're doing it right. If you're sweating, you're doing it right. :) Remember to push yourself (but not too hard) and don't give up! Hope this helps.

((BTW, I love ellipticals because you can really work hard without hurting yourself. With a treadmill I can't go for as long or work as hard as with an elliptical.))
  • Brendan_Townsend
    Options
    Honestly, the best way to do this is to listen to your body. I can tell you from personal experience that when you listen to so-called experts who say that you should warm up for x minutes, make specific recommendations for interval training, and cool down for x minutes - you get injured. Why? You're worried about meeting the time and speed constraints that were set by someone else.

I usually warm up at "walk the dog" type of pace for a few minutes until I'm feeling a bit more loose, and then start at a decent jogging speed (For me). You've got to figure out what that pace is for you. As Hal Higdon puts it, you should be able to carry a conversation at a jogging pace. ...as far as cool down - I just slow down until I feel my heart rate go down and I feel comfortable getting off.

If it hurts (pain...not muscle soreness) ...give it a rest.

Congrats on your loss of 20 lbs, by the way.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    thanks, all, for the help and encouragement!!!