Spaghetti Squash

Options
allie_00
allie_00 Posts: 73
Cooking spaghetti squash for the first time. It's in the oven open side down. When I take it out will it all just magically fall apart? Lol.

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    No. If it's how I cook mine then you'll need to take a fork and like scrape the inside of it and it will produce "noodles."
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nope unfortunately not....Take a fork and scrape the inside it will look noodle-y (don't think it's a word but I think you get it)
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    BTW, if you're having a hard time getting "noodles" or if they're breaking, you need to cook the squash some more. (This happens to me often as I am impatient to start eating :laugh: )
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It will definitely NOT just fall out. Good question! You will need to scrape the inside gently with the tongs of a fork and it will just come out easily. You'll see...it's not difficult.

Be prepared for something with not a whole lot of flavor on it's own. But it's a great veggie and can be used for lots of things. Use as noodles for spaghettei, serve stir fry veggies and chicken over it, I even use it as a bed for turkey chili. It adds a lot of bulk and fiber without adding many calories.

Get creative with it, but make sure that whatever you serve it with has an ample amount of flavor since the squash doesn't have much of it's own.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    for a quicker way of cooking spag. squash, cut it in half and put 1/2 face down in about an 1/2 inch of water for about 10 min (until noodles come off easy with a fork and aren't too crunchy).
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you're having a hard time getting "noodles" or if they're breaking, you need to cook the squash some more. (This happens to me often as I am impatient to start eating :laugh: )
    LOL! This happens to me too! If you're super impatient, pop it in the microwave for 5 mins while the oven preheats to get it started. Will cut some of the cooking time down :bigsmile:
  • dexter62
    dexter62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yea, never had it till i found my life mate, she has shown me a whole range of foods that i ve never tried or thought id like, and you know what, after the sugar cravings ended i find vegetables more satisfying, spagetti squash is one of those, i put mine halfed faced down in a microwave safe pyrex casserole dish in 1/2 inch of water , fork the heck out of the top and cook on your microwave hard vegetable setting or high for 5 mins then check it an usually have to cook 2 or 3 mins more, be careful when you flip it over, the steam or splash of scalding water will get you, scrape it into noodles , 1 tbs low fat margarine , salt and pepper and your in veggie heaven, enjoy Dave and Karen, Dexters the dog
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    It was SOO good :) I can't believe how healthy AND yummy it is. My boyfriend loved it too! :)
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just had my first one not too long ago, and loved it, too! In fact, I was just craving some...might have to sneak out to the store now. :wink:
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on cooking the squash. That's one of those vegetables that I've always wanted to try, but didn't know quite what to do with it.
  • Puakea006
    Options
    How do I bake those? Thanks. :)

ww.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]6473322.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the microwave. Even after puncturing mine it exploded. I'd only put it in there 5 minutes to soften it before throwing it in the over and "boom." On a side note, when it exploded, all the flesh came out stringy so after I finished it off in the oven, it was VERY easy to get out of the shell. LOL