Burgers...

Options
So I've been really jonesing for a burger, but so far I've been able to fight off the craving. I was wondering if anyone out there had a pretty good recipe for a low fat or low cal burger or an alternative that I could use to satisfy this food desire.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    4oz of 99% lean ground turkey is only 120 cal. I just mix it with some chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder.

Or Trader Joe's makes salmon patties that are 80 calories each.

Either one on an Orowheat/Arnolds naturals thins with a thin slice of cheese, lettuce and tomato and you're good to go. :)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating red meat a while ago and it was really tough.

you can get turkey/chicken patties and if you cook them right (put in some hamburger seasoning) it will satisfy your craving.

another alternative is boca burger patties. i personally prefer their flavor to turkey burgers. use avocado or other hearty vegetable toppings to give you that savory taste youre craving.

but if you really need that beef then i'd suggest getting some very lean beef and using a thin patty and loading up on your veggies on top or seeking out a low calorie thin bun. ;}
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just made a burger for lunch! Took 1/4 pound 93% lean ground beef, chopped about 1tbsp white onion, added a little bread crumb, splash of milk, and topped it with sauteed mushrooms, tomato, and feta cheese. I don't have bread/buns so I used romaine. No idea how many calories, but it couldn't have been more than 300. And it was friggen delicious.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    93/7% hamburger add favorite seasonings works great for me!!! I usually skip the bun but Sara Lee has an 85 calorie whole wheat bun.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I buy the Jennie-o Savory Seasoned Burgers at Walmart. They're 12 patties for about $6. They're actually pretty good.

http://www.jennieo.com/products/TurkeyBurgers/SavorySeasonedTurkeyBurgers.aspx
  • justinvine
    Options
    I know it's not the same, but I use boca burgers. I just like the idea of frying up a burger. I am always fiending for a burger. I put it on light bread and it's only 80 calories for the bruschetta boca burger and 70 calories for 2 pieces of light bread. I put some horse radish and mustard on it, and I have a sandwich for 160 calories total.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser BLT burgers are great! 97% ground beef - I grill mine. Add 2 slices of turkey bacon (I get the low sodium kind) and add some low fat mayo, tomato and lettuce all on a whole wheat bun. YUMMY!
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    quorn burgers work for me, only 73 cals.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you tried buffalo meat? It's takes exactly like beef, but it's extremely lean. They make great burgers!
  • AFWinter
    AFWinter Posts: 13
    Options
    Those are all really good ideas, thanks! I'll have to try some of them. For the super lean beef, how do you grill 'em (or prepare them another way) and keep them moist?
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Whenever I use extra lean meats I just monitor them closely on the grill with a meat thermometer. Take 'em off the grill about five degrees lower than the desired temp and let 'em sit for a few minutes (use this time for the burger construction) and by the time you're ready to munch into it it will have risen to the exact perfect temp without overcooking and getting dry.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    We buy the Low Fat Bubba Burgers for when we can grill. They are only about 220 calories. They are in the freezer section of the grocery store.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Chicken and turkey burgers are great. Also you can try a portobella mushroom in place of the burger (I know it's not the same...but they're good). Use lettuce as a bun. But, in all honesty...when I really want a burger, I make one with the 93% lean hamburger meat and it's great...bulk it up with your veggies. Add onion, bell peppers, breadcrumbs and egg to the meat mixture mixture (almost like a meatloaf)...it's yummers.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've heard this tip to keeping homemade burgers moist, but never tried it. When forming the patty, enclose some ice inside the patty. Probably not a whole cube or you'd get those big round balls that Eddie Murphy used to joke about, but maybe try breaking cubes in half.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have a Boca burger. The mushroom burger is delicious! On one of those new 'thin' sandwich thins, or in a whole wheat tortilla. Mmmm. Now I want one :)
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Just a word of caution on the pre-made veggie burgers. There are many that are low cal and tasty, but very careful about the sodium counts on those. Some of them are crazy high for just a little patty.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like good quality "gourmet" burgers. There's a couple of restaurants here that do high quality beef (or chicken, and sometimes other meats such as venison) burgers - I go there, get a topping that's not cheese or mayo based, and probably leave half the bun.

Or I go to my local butcher, who makes good quality steak burgers. The burger itself is a great source of protein, OK it's got a high-ish fat content, but if you can do it without the bun and the fries and the tobacco onions, it's pretty easy to incorporate into your meals now and then.