How does MFP calculate estimated weight?

Options
I have been religious about logging my workouts and food in MFP for the past two and a half weeks. For the past few days, I have been working out burning about 300 calories and I will eat approximately 1100-1200 calories. My current calorie goal is 1200 calories. However, after burning 300, it gets reset to 1500. So, if I'm eating a deficit of 200 calories, then why does MFP estimate me gaining two pounds over the next 5 weeks. I tried an experiment where I logged 1500 calories and it said I would gain 4 pounds! I'm really confused. Is anyone else running into this?

Replies

• morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....Mine always says I'm going to lose. But it has said for about the last two months that I will weigh 178 in 5 weeks! It says that almost every single day. Well, it's been more than 5 weeks since the first time it said it and I'm still not to 178 unfortunately. So it confuses me!
  • 4gracealone
    Options
    I'm having the problem of wanting to lose the recommended one pound per week by eating the recommended 1200 calories each day just to see that at the end of the day it calculates that I will be losing .4 lbs./week in following the 1200 calories/day and my 30 min. workout. So, like you I'm wondering what to do...anybody have any answers?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's not a prediction. MFP does not have access to some magical crystal ball which can tell you exactly what you will weigh at some point in the future.

It's an estimate. It says "If every day were like this..." which of course is never going to be the case. Use it as a motivator/ kick up the..... but it's no more than a guiding tool.
  • Jmartinturner
    Jmartinturner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks that there is something wrong with either me or the "if every day were like this" because even if my day varies, there is still an average, and I am still not even close to the average they keep telling me the past five weeks. I was so excited to see that at first, but now, it just sucks. What can mfp do to correct this part of the program?!