SOOO HUNGRY ALL THE TIME: Are appetite supressants safe?

Options
mjg08060
mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
Hey guys,
So the past few days I have been sooo hungry all of the time.Normally I can contain myself but for some reason I am so hungry and feel like I do not ever get full unless I binge eat which defeats the purpose of exercising when I eat my calories. I was wondering what you guys eat that curves your cravings and leaves you satisfied without the craving to eat everything in site and more. Also, what do you gusy think about the Jillian Michaels lose weight pills or slim shots or stuff like that to help you lose your appretite? I would appreciate some answers, I am starting to feel like I used to.

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I would not be taking pills to curb my appetite. What works for me is tea. Caffeine free, zero calories and good for you. I usually have 1 at work if I get hungry before lunch. It will usually hold me over for about an hour or so and they I go to lunch.
  • ssawchenko
    Options
    A few suggestions I've read over the past:

* Eat smaller portions, but eat every few hours. Snack often, but snack smart. I always have a 3pm Fibre 1 (100 cals) granola bar, and that really helps. The girl beside me at work always snacks on snap peas.
    * Try get get protein in your main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) as that will help you feel more full.
    * Drink lots of water, it can sometimes help curb appetite.

That being said I do feel hungry sometimes, but it's not all that bad, and often a small snack (~100cals) will help curb it. I know it's hard, but after awhile it becomes a habit and you get more accustom to it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I take Green Tea fat burner capsules and one of the effects is suppressed appetite. I've taken them nearly every day for 15 weeks and I feel great.

Plus, the EGCG gives my body a great metabolism boost.

Another thing that helps me is coconut oil. I eat foods made with coconut oil before festivals or long events in order to quell my appetite so I don't waste a bunch of calories (or money!) on iffy festival foods.

Here are my blogs about both if you're interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/to-green-tea-or-not-to-green-tea-80721

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/coconut-oil-10-uses-for-this-miracle-elixir-88556

Hope it helps!
  • Madjohnbonny
    Options
    I dont know that I would go with any pills, but snacking is awesome. My first week or so on here was pretty tough, then I read about smaller meals with snacks in between. Most days I have a pretty big breakfast, then have smaller meals with snacks in between. I try to eat something every 2 to 3 hours.
  • higgldy_piggldy
    Options
    no on the pills.

have a banana, a fiber rich fruit, nonfat greek yogurt...basically something small as a snack.

2 small under 100 cal VERY HEALTHY FILLING food spaced evenly apart will keep your appetite satiated and your blood sugar levels level so you don't crash and make mistakes at your next meal....that happened to me today.

between 5:30am (breakfast) and noon (lunch) I have the following:

8:30 or 9:30- 4 sunsweet ones (yeah they are prunes...but they taste like tea and fruit). with 500mL water
    10:30- small banana with 500 mL

I'm hungry for lunch but never starving.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts on snacking. I am hungry all the time! The guys at work are actually freaked out by how often I eat. What they don't see is how 'little' my snacks are. It could be an apple, a piece of wholemeal bread with hummus, you know, small things. This is my usual 'grazing' schedule:

8:30am - Breakfast
    11am - snack
    12:15pm - lunch
    3pm - snack
    5:30pm - snack
    7 - 8pm - dinner

Then I don't eat anything after dinner. I've been losing weight consistently and I honest think it's because I eat all the time to keep my metabolism active.
  • Caerith
    Caerith Posts: 15
    Options
    Hunger is the cost of weight loss, but to alleviate the hungry feeling you should trust in science and eat something.

Science version: How hungry you are is based on the balance of two hormones, leptin and ghrelin. The more leptin you have the less hungry you feel. Leptin is produced when you eat something and get your blood sugar up. So, eat something with natural sugars to trigger your body to produce leptin and make you feel less hungry. Keep your blood sugar up. (There've been studies showing that artificial sweeteners don't trigger leptin, meaning that a diet soft drink, for instance, will still keep you feeling hungry. Why risk it?)

TL;DR version: Eat an apple.

Or a banana.

(Bananas are good!)
  • mjg08060
    mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have been doing a tid bit of research and found that it would be due to the amount of carbs im eating because when i get hungry its carb cravings so maybe if i go on a low carb diet it will help with the cravings. I will try starting tomorrow