coping skills ?

Options
some of the reasons why i eat so much is because its one of my coping skills =/ i could really use some help finding some new coping skills that can help me lose weight. the only coping skills i have right now are smoking and eating. also! does any one know any great ways to releive stress in a healthy way? other then smoking and eating lol

Replies

• zumba66girl
    zumba66girl Posts: 136
    Options
    stay here on this site .... everyone here is awesome and lots of support....Love my MFP pals!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I enjoy kundalini yoga (it's not the stretch/pose kind but a more dynamic kind of yoga) or taking a bath. Reading a book, talking to friends, crying, telling people I'm upset... all help.

Good luck
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Working out REALLY helps me. It gives me time to think and work off a lot of energy at the same time. I also do a lot of writing. And cooking helps. I like making meals that take a long time and while I'm cooking I'll listen to my music and sip on some red wine. Of course, just make sure you're cooking something healthy.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me when I'm stressed out (with 5 kids trust me, it happens) - I do a number of things. Get in a nice hot bathtub with candles lit, take a magazine or book in with me and have some "me" time. Take the dog for a walk and just enjoy the day/night. LOl and the one that drives my husband batty...get out my old music (dance music from the 80's) and turn it up REALLY loud and just start dancing and singing along with it! Trust me, I can't sing! But, honestly, it's the best relief for me!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I had the same exact issues. This week was a true test. I turned to comfort food right away..but then I noticed the next day that not only did my heart feel like it was being sat on by an elephant but my body felt gross from all the poor choices. I decided to take some great advice given to me by another MFP member and take control of my food choices. I cannot control the bad things that happen to me and my loved ones...but I can control what goes in my body and that made me feel a little more empowered and balanced.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Walking/jogging/running
    Yoga
    Elipitcal
    Biking
    Hiking
    Swimming
    ... do I need to go on? :laugh:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I bet a lot of people will say this, but I think exercise helps.

Wait!

Before you stop reading...know that anything you make a habit can become one. In the first couple of months of exercising, it was hard. I tried to go no more than two days between exercise (and I mean ANY kind). Even though it was sometimes horrible during, I always felt great after.

Now, when I have a crappy day, I exercise knowing that afterwards, I'll feel immensely better. This website helps a LOT, too.

It helps with coping, too, because I know I'm doing something that's good for me. Instead of coping, it's really helped me deal with a lot of the things I'm stressed about.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

EDIT: Just added, that, like the post above about watching what you're eating, you'll see definite results from exercise and healthy eating. It may take up to a couple of months, but you'll feel the energy effects pretty soon. Think about locus of control, too.
  • delightednow
    Options
    yesterday i was feeling down in the dumps i caught myself wanting thoses chips ahoy cookies hiding in my kitchen... i told myself i cant stay here i loaded up my sons bike then mine and went on a bike ride... helped with my stress and cravings...also when ur boby thinks ur hungry it is usually thirsty... i drink alot of ice cold water...helps me so much
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    As a former 2 pack a day smoker I can tell you that the smoking is causing half of the stress you have! I quit 7 years ago and within 3-4 months my stress levels dropped so much it was unbelievable. I guess removing the "do i got a lighter, do i have enough cigs to get through tonight and when can i smoke again?" thoughts out of my head kinda gave me more room to breathe so to speak.
    As far as eating to cope, I have been there too. I have to agree with many of the people on here: EXERCISE. I walk every day. Twice a day. It's the most amazing thing the way the endorphins kick in and elevate your mood.
    Good luck with your journey and remember one day at a time.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello there Rock:)
    Coping skills hm? Well those are different for so many folks. For myself I use a variety of different methods (one of them probably involved eating at one time:)) Anyway. One great stress relief or even preventer for me has been exercise. Does not really matter what kind of exercise (I jog but also do some free weights at home) I find that after that (doing them first thing in the morning) I am feeling not only energized but also much more positive (very important in being a teacher to teens:), which at times can also be stressful.
    We also like using the punching bag hanging in the garage where we can go and hit it for a few minutes for some therapeutic non harmful violence:)
    Talking to some like minded folks going through a similar experience can also very stress relieving, shared pain and all that. Of course that requires some planning ahead. Reading inspirational stories of others who have overcome difficulties (many of which can be found on the web) are also helpful to me sometimes.
    Lastly it is probably also a matter of perspective. The mantra: "THIS TOO SHALL PASS" is useful here.
    Some folks like to go into a quiet place, burn some scented candles, put on some relaxing music and call it MY TIME with a " do not disturb sign" on their door, to be respected by partner and kiddos alike.
    You can do it.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    First few days are hard, because the crutch that makes us feel better is gone. I am craving some empty carbs, give me some potato chips. However, remember what you will feel like afterwards...more stressed and more fatigued. That is the key to keep the eye on the prize. It sucks at times, but ultimately we begin to feel better.