HELP!!!

Options
I'm 53lbs over weight but started exercising awhile ago, my weights (as in how much I weigh) the same for a couple of weeks now because I'm just turning it all to muscle. How long will it take before the weight starts dropping too? Does anyone have a guess? I don't want to be a big buff woman!! I do cardio.... I hate lifting weights

Replies

• xlumabao
    xlumabao Posts: 7
    Options
    You probably want to focus on cardio more than weights, or doing lighter weights and look into "Circuit Training" with short rest periods.

read up on Calorie Deficit. Keep at it. It will come off. gaining muscle takes some time, so you may be holding water weight.

NOTE: I am not a certifiied trainer/nutritionist or anything, but have been around the gym and diets since Jr High (graduated in '90 so it's a long time) :smile:

Rememeber- Rapid weight loss is not necessarily a good thing. Creating a Healthy BALANCED lifestyle wll get you there and KEEP You there. Good Luck!
  • yolandawilson
    yolandawilson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hunny im going through that now i asked my doc he said that sometimes you lose a lot then you'll stop and start to put on muscle which usually for some last between 1-3 months lol i know wt your thinking i felt the same way like what the **** lol anyway hang in there dont give up keeping eating right and working out you'll get there sweety
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I see in your profile you hope to lose 19 pounds a month. Generally 1-2 pounds a week (4-8 pounds a month) is a more realistic goal. If you're truly watching what you eat and exercising and still not losing anything, maybe get checked by the doctor. Thyroid issue maybe? Not uncommon for the thyroid to go kaput after having a baby.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    DON'T STOP LIFTING WEIGHTS!!!

Sorry to disagree with the guy above me, but lifting weights is great because you want to pack on muscle and therefore rev up your metabolism. The fact that you are lifting isn't good, it's GREAT.

When I first started, I was doing a mix of lifting and cardio, too. And it took 3-4 weeks before I started seeing differences on the scale. I was frustrated and was talking with my trainer about how after 8 weeks I had only dropped four pounds. He looked me straight in the face and said, you probably dropped 8 pounds of fat but then put back on 4 pounds of muscle! Stop worrying!

Best of luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. And stick with what you're doing and you'll be great. Remember that a pound of muscle takes about 33% of space that a pound of fat does, so even though the numbers on the scale might change, you will actually become leaner and fitter. I can attest to this personally - all of my pants are too big for me now! :)
  • tatwood106
    Options
    I agree with the others, it will happen, I lost most of my weight in the first month or two, and the weight loss has been slow since then, but I feel better and I know I am a stronger person for this. I definitely recommend cardio, it really gets the fat burning, your not dieting, your choosing to treat your body with the respect you would expect!!
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not using weights I'm doing cardio, I have great leg muscles, I'm not loosing any weight at all. Its like when you see big buff guys at the gym just eating so they can turn it into muscle? Well thats what I'm doing but I don't want to be.....um I dont know how else to explain...
  • zenchik115
    zenchik115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Sorry to disagree with the guy above me, but lifting weights is great because you want to pack on muscle and therefore rev up your metabolism. The fact that you are lifting isn't good, it's GREAT.

i agree... muscle burns more calories than fat...so if you keep building muscle then your body will naturally burn more calories...
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

When I first started, I was doing a mix of lifting and cardio, too. And it took 3-4 weeks before I started seeing differences on the scale. I was frustrated and was talking with my trainer about how after 8 weeks I had only dropped four pounds. He looked me straight in the face and said, you probably dropped 8 pounds of fat but then put back on 4 pounds of muscle! Stop worrying!

Best of luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. And stick with what you're doing and you'll be great. Remember that a pound of muscle takes about 33% of space that a pound of fat does, so even though the numbers on the scale might change, you will actually become leaner and fitter. I can attest to this personally - all of my pants are too big for me now! :)
    This actually makes me feel a lot better maybe I will lift weights now lol :)
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're expecting too much too fast. Take it slow and make this a lifestyle change. Then you'll get thin and stay thin :)
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't see much results on the scale for the first three weeks, but I then took my measurements and saw a difference. As you tone (using weights and strength training) you will see inches lost before actual poundage....at least that is what I experienced.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights won't make you big and bulky! Even the heavy ones. Guys who want to look super buff have to eat a TON and really cut down their body fat to like 10-12%. It's basically impossible for a woman to look like that. You will have a tight & toned body with minimal flab if you play your cards right.

Also, it won't happen overnight. Take a picture of yourself every month or so and put them side by side to see the progress. Make sure you're in the same style of clothing and have the same kind of background in the picture for the best comparison.