So, I know we're supposed to eat breakfast...

Options
But I don't want too! I know it gets our metabolism up and running and that's a good thing and that I want. But, I wonder if I exercise first thing in the morning, doesn't that get my metabolism started too? Couldn't I eat later in the morning but already have my metabolism burning because of exercise? I'm just not a morning eater and I'm not a fan of breakfast foods. I'd rather have coffee and then eat around 10am or 11am. I'd also rather save those calories for later in the day when I know I'll be hungry.

So, what do you think? Would this way be acceptable do you think? Thanks! :glasses:

Replies

• Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    You really should be eating breakfast. It's not just about getting your metabolism going...it really should be the largest meal of the day, not your night time meal.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to put fuel (food) in your body first thing in the morning.... exercise is using fuel further depleting your already low fuel supply after a long rest. Try something small and easy, a smoothie, yogurt, carnation instant breakfast, a banana... ya know...:flowerforyou:
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater either. I am in such a rush, there is no way I could make it the biggest meal of the day. Of course you may suggest, "well why don't you wake up earlier" ha considering I have school full time, work full time, and a two year old, I need sleep. I just grab some string cheese and eat that on the way to work and some water and I am fine until lunch.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree, breakfast should be your main meal, but I don't see a problem with not eating as soon as you wake up though. Make sure your first meal has enough protein and fiber to keep you from starving later on at night! [:
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Also, nobody says that you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. You could eat some fruits or veggies, 2oz of lunch meat and a slice of toast if you want. Or, you could have a small portion of dinner leftovers. Anything goes :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think that's fine. :) For a while, I wasn't able to eat breakfast in the morning because I'd get very nauseous and throw it all up within minutes of eating. (Could have been due to my gallstones; I'm not sure) Anyways... Now, I eat 350-500 calories for breakfast every day. Today, I ate 750! Lol. I sure wish I couldn't eat breakfast anymore; I always end up with nothing left for snacks or dinner.

Back to the point: I'd count 10am as a breakfast time. Do what works for you.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    But I don't want too! I know it gets our metabolism up and running and that's a good thing and that I want. But, I wonder if I exercise first thing in the morning, doesn't that get my metabolism started too? Couldn't I eat later in the morning but already have my metabolism burning because of exercise? I'm just not a morning eater and I'm not a fan of breakfast foods. I'd rather have coffee and then eat around 10am or 11am. I'd also rather save those calories for later in the day when I know I'll be hungry.

So, what do you think? Would this way be acceptable do you think? Thanks! :glasses:

A month and a half ago, just the THOUGHT of eating breakfast (anything within 3 hours of waking) made me nauseous. I literally felt like throwing up.

I took baby steps. I started with a handful of grapes. Then I added a banana. Then I added some toast. Then I tried a scrambled egg.

Just like building a muscle, I started small. I pushed myself to my limit. I went past that limit a little each day.

Now I start my day with 3 eggs scrambled with cheese, maybe some oatmeal or yogurt... sky's the limit.

Now if only my muscles would build that quickly. LOL.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I pretty much do exactly what you do in the morning...coffee, lite breakfast around 10-11 a.m...'cause I get hungrier later in the day & need my calories to use in small "snacks" throughout the day. I'm 48 years old & never ate breakfast at all until I started on MFP.:happy:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There is a theory that if you don't eat breakfast and go to the workout then you are burning fat first thing instead of calories. My theory is that if you have no energy in your body, how can you burn anything or make your workout worth while?

In other 'news' I recently read a study about when to eat and how different habits sabotage weight loss and in the article it stated that people that skip breakfast tend to binge more and eat more empty calorie packed meals late at night when their metabolism has already slowed.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Breakfast just means...break the fast...soooooo, enjoy what kinds of food you like to eat, but it does need to be done fairly soon after you wake up. I personally love a good sandwich for breakfast! All that sugary crud makes me feel like crap...give me some protein so I can work on those muscles!!!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You guys are so great and full of info! Thanks! I think you're all right - I should and will eat something in the morning. Coffee is not one of the food groups! Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Breakfast just means...break the fast...

What she said.

Def need to get some fuel in that engine to get the car to run properly.
  • mrsblair84
    Options
    A favorite breakfast for me recently has become what I call a waffle sandwich. I take two frozen waffles...toasted of course. lol. with no more than a tablespoon of peanut butter (I prefer crunchy). Its good and has some protein to boot. I used to do the carnation instant breakfasts too. Those are good.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you work out in the morning, but don't eat breakfast, then your energy source is going to be your muscles. You'll lose muscle. No bueno.

I like the "if you don't like breakfast foods, then don't eat breakfast foods" theory. No reason you can't have leftover dinner for breakfast!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot find the article; however, you should be eating within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.

Think of it this way...your body (wood burning stove), food (wood), energy (fire). You need to supply wood to the stove to keep the fire going.

As someone else said, you're working out first thing, so you're already in a deficit of calories. You need to feed your body, then work out. If you're not feeding your body and you work out right away, you will start to burn lean muscle and that's not what you want to do.
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'd also like to add its good to have something for breakfast to give you more energy to burn while you work out at the gym. Something with Carbs if your doing cardio that day, something with protein if your doing weight training :), then after the gym a little snack to replenish and help repair the muscles worked.

Like they said start small if thats what will help you get used to it. Like some other people i used to just do an english muffin and be fine til lunch. Now somedays i eat like a tank! Oatmeal, walnuts, raisins, milk, yogurt.

Also as someone else had stated it doesnt have to be breakfast-y food. Cottage cheese. Chicken and toast.

(Now i can't wait tile tommorrow morning! )

Good luck to you and i hope you find what works best for you because that is the most important!
  • stephlayne
    stephlayne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have anytime for breakfast so I just buy those Carnation Breakfast Essentials and some low calorie soy milk and BAM. It take a minute to make, a minute to drink down, it's only 200 calories and you are getting a ton of vitamins and minerals! I know since I have drinking them my stomach will start SCREAMING if I don't have something as soon as I wake up, it kind of helped train my body to want breakfast!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i agree that you should get some fuel in your body in the morning, but i say eat whatever you want for breakfast, not just breakfast foods, and a small breakfast is better than none. try some protein (hard boiled egg, lean meat, peanut butter!) to get the most bang for your buck. i tend to eat between 200-300 calories in the morning, which keeps me going through the morning and during my exercise before lunch. i don't know if anyone else saw it on msnbc.com, but they highlighted a recent study that showed most people who eat a big breakfast didn't eat less later in the day. in fact, they ate just as many calories later in the day as they would have with a smaller breakfast, so unless you are tracking your calories (which you clearly are), for most people, a big breakfast simply led to a higher caloric intake for that day.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If you are eating well and losing weight, then go for it. But don't be opposed to eating breakfast if you find that at some point you wake up hungry one morning.
  • davedoherty23
    davedoherty23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is important because your body repairs itself while your asleep so you need to replace vital minerals and vitamins, you dont have to eat straight away but dont leave it to long, eat healthy foods rather than high carbs aswell