Granola Bar Recipe

Options
Does anyone have a good healthy granola bar recipe?

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe that I use! You can find it here also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/86692-homemade-granola-bars?hl=playgroup+granola+bars&page=1#posts-1196381

Here is my favorite homemade granola bar recipe. My family LOVES them!

My recipe... (I used whole wheat, less sugar and honey, more spice, less oil, and added applesauce and PB and omitted the raisins. You could also add some chocolate chips, nuts, or other dried fruit.)

Here's the link to the original recipe and I *tweaked* it to lower the cals and sugar.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx

Jess's Homemade Playgroup Granola Bars (listed in MFP database)

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter (optional)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, spices, and salt. In medium bowl, mix together the honey, egg, oil, applesauce, PB and vanilla. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Stir well or mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. (I layered the pan w/ foil and sprayed Pam on a spatula to pack it down)

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut. (I just took the foil out of the pan and cut them into 24 bars w/ a pizza cutter.)

Nutrition Facts
    Jess's Homemade - Playgroup Granola Bars

Servings: 1 bar 1 container (24 bars ea.)

Calories 85
    Sodium 3 mg
    Total Fat 3 g
    Potassium 25 mg
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 14 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg
    Vitamin A 1%
    Calcium 1%
    Vitamin C 1%
    Iron 3%
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yumyumyum bump
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    LOVE this website. Here's a morning bar recipe: http://www.dailygarnish.com/recipes?recipe_id=6000259
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    That recipe looks AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing. I am making those!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Just what I've been looking for! Bump
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! Sounds yummy!
  • SlimSasha
    SlimSasha Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds soo yummy!
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this message about 20 minutes ago out of curiosity and saw the recipe...my baby is napping and I, unbelievably, had all the ingredients on hand, down to the whole wheat flour and wheat germ! So I just made them and they're baking now. I added some chocolate chips and made only half with peanut butter (my little guy's still little and hasn't had peanut butter yet). Thanks for the recipe and I can't wait to try one!
  • annabanana05
    Options
    Just what I wanted and low in calories. I will be making it this weekend.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    These are so easy and so versatile. I've made them w/ all kinds of different fruits, nuts, peanut butter, almond butter... they are always popular w/ my family! My dd even took them to her class for a snack one day and they all loved them too! Let me know how you like them. Bake them longer if you want them crunchier, less if you want them chewier.
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They are delicious! My son loves them, too :) For some reason, though, when I enter my own recipe, they come out to be 122 calories per bar. The only thing I did differently was add the chocolate chips, which were 280 calories (which adds fewer than 12 calories to each bar). I'm not sure why that is...must just be the brands I used. But still, a delicious snack for 122 calories! Thanks!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I make these at least once a week, they are sooo good when you want something a little sweet. I increase the applesauce to 1/2 cup and add a few chocolate chips and bake in 8x8 pan. :)
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanx for posting! I'm gonna give this one a try!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    They are delicious! My son loves them, too :) For some reason, though, when I enter my own recipe, they come out to be 122 calories per bar. The only thing I did differently was add the chocolate chips, which were 280 calories (which adds fewer than 12 calories to each bar). I'm not sure why that is...must just be the brands I used. But still, a delicious snack for 122 calories! Thanks!

Not sure? Maybe different brand of flour/ oats? They're still pretty low in cals and yummy! You can also just skip the flour and use all oats or process some oats into oat flour and leave out the wheat germ to make them gluten free.
  • nicolej216
    Options
    thanks i need this to
  • jalm36
    jalm36 Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • 4svalley
    4svalley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yummy! bump
  • eleanoreb