Calorie watch only (no excercise, no clean foods), weight lo

Options
hello everyone,
I've been reading these boards non stop even though I should be focusing on finals :grumble:

So I have a quick question - I am 5"7' and weigh 154. I want to lose weight mainly in my face (lol, don't ask) and having a lifestyle change is not an option for me now. So, I found MFP and I am on 1200 calories - and everyday, I try to stick to those BUT some days I'll eat healthy and other days I'll just have tater tots and dark chocolate to fill my calories. I don't watch the carbs or the sodium aka living the high life, and do not exercise because I am in law school aka never, ever do anything but study. Is weigh loss possible with just calorie watch but not healthy foods and no exercise? I haven't weighed myself since I started because I do not have a scale. I know you'll advise me to eat and exercise because that is what I should do, but I can't focus on that now.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, restricting calories will result in some weight loss. At least for awhile. The more you have to lose, the longer you can get away with eating poorly, but less quantity, and still lose.

The problem is that although you'll lose pounds, you may be losing more muscle than you would have liked if your diet is still pretty lousy.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot, so I can't really answer that. I suppose if you kept it to 1200, but didn't eat healthy food, you might lose weight, but not in the right places.

What I would like to say, is that even though you say you don't have time to exercise, you can burn a little extra calories by making certain choices. Never circle the parking lot looking for a parking spot, park farther out and walk. Take the stairs, not elevators. And stand more often than you sit.
  • jms023
    jms023 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am in med school, so I understand the stress you are going through. Maybe you should start small. Half and hour of exercise will do a lot, and it really isn't a huge commitment. I try to get a workout in at least 4 times a week. Some weeks are harder than others, like exam weeks. But, as long as you commit and take that first step, I really think it is possible to get a workout in every other day, for 30 minutes, even when you are super busy. Just my experience. I mean, if you have time to read these boards non-stop, you also could have time for a 30 minute walk, right?
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    hmm okay so losing muscle not good...I try to eat healthy like fruit and veggies but some days I make a conscious decision to just save my calories for a 5 Guys burger :ohwell: I'm looking forward to graduating and living a normal life with a normal schedule haha

@jms023 I think after finals I will try to do some form of exercise like running but I'm still not a fan of the gym.

I am in DC so I do walk around a lot but I will try to make more conscious decisions to move around.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I've always heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but I don't have any scholarly evidence. It's just what all my fit friends say.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've seen people on here who follow that method. They do reach their target weight, but (in my opinion) they look really flabby compared to those who make better choices.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're not willing to make a lifestyle change, your weight loss is only going to be temporary. I'm a full time law student as well and am in my last semester. I also work 32 hours a week at a law firm and am currently training for a half marathon. I use the gym to help manage my stress and when I'm super swamped I'll read my casebooks while walking on the treadmill. Weight loss isn't easy, but it is possible to commit yourself to it i you're really willing.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    hello everyone,
    I've been reading these boards non stop even though I should be focusing on finals :grumble:

So I have a quick question - I am 5"7' and weigh 154. I want to lose weight mainly in my face (lol, don't ask) and having a lifestyle change is not an option for me now. So, I found MFP and I am on 1200 calories - and everyday, I try to stick to those BUT some days I'll eat healthy and other days I'll just have tater tots and dark chocolate to fill my calories. I don't watch the carbs or the sodium aka living the high life, and do not exercise because I am in law school aka never, ever do anything but study. Is weigh loss possible with just calorie watch but not healthy foods and no exercise? I haven't weighed myself since I started because I do not have a scale. I know you'll advise me to eat and exercise because that is what I should do, but I can't focus on that now.

so what exactly do you want to hear? im confused
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I read a post when I first started that said you can use your calories for fruit/veg and general dood food, or you can use it for a burger (or whatever takes your fancy), but its like putting low octane gas in a high octane car - it will still go, just not as well.

Apparently you will lose weight, but your heart, cholesterol levels and blood pressure etc wont thank you for it later on.

Also if you are doing a bit of walking then you can count that as exercise. But add up each walk, so a walk from your home to college might be 10 mins, so total that day you did 20 mins. Then out to the grocery store, and home might be 15 mins return.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight that way, but as others have said, just weight loss is not necessarily fitness. I understand time constraints, but why not make some small changes now...taking stairs, foregoing junk food, that way, when you are better able to make a commitment to your health you will be that much further along. It's a process. Baby steps are OK!
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    @crazymama2two

whether I can actually lose weight ONLY based on calorie counting - because there is the possibility that the low caloric intake is countered by the fat/carbs/etc. and I don't lose any weight at all.

@sweetiepie31612

I will try to - I am a first year so my view of the world right now is a bit distorted haha I'm overwhelmed with the work and I have trouble with the concepts, I have to find summer employment, and I have to prepare for the fall recruitment in a crappy economy. Maybe things will settle down after 2L.
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If the only thing you are doing is keeping cals under 1200, I would say that you'll lose weight, but you are probably not really going to have the results you want. It will be a slow process and you may end up skinny fat...
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I used to weigh small but was flabby. I think you could do that for awhile to get some weight off, then maybe later start some strengh training to reduce the body fat and build up the muscle. Can you read while doing treadmill work or a stationery bike with a book there? May not be much but it's something.

If not, at least tracking your calories, is better than doing nothing. Maybe you can look at your eating and see what better changes you can make. I still like to have naughty foods too, but I found that 3 musketeers mint or the 3 musketeers truffle bars are 170 calories versus 210 - 260 for other candy bars. So maybe at least, you can get started in a better direction for now.
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    @kaveril422

oh god just that combination of words "skinny fat" put the fear of God in me haha. I will try to eat healthier and make better choices but it definitely helps to know that I can lose weight still even if some days I really slack
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Just a note - make sure you don't have your loss/week goal higher than it should be. You don't have a lot to lose, so you can't handle a large deficit. Being relatively lean already, it shouldn't be more than 1 lb per week, and probably only 1/2 lb per week. Undereating can impede weight loss, and make the impact of lack of exercise and less-than-healthy food even worse.

Might help to read these threads -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I lost all of my weight with only watching my calories, no exercise and have been losing 2 pounds a week.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    hello everyone,

ok... *tough love talk ahead*

LAW SCHOOL IS NO EXCUSE! I was in the best shape of my life when I was in law school. 3 times a week, I did back to back step aerobics classes (yes 2 hours, 3x per week). (I don't know if DC has this, or if you are at a big enough school, but I took the classes through the community college (really cheap!), plus you could use the health center if you were a student (kind of like free healthy insurance). I also fit in going to the driving range (golf) 2x per week and golfing on Saturday's.

Law school allows an incredibly flexible schedule. How many hours a day are you in class? 3? 4? SCHEDULE a workout... THEN schedule your studying around everything else. In all reality, YOU NEED A BREAK during the day or you'll burn out. Use that break time to exercise. At a minimum get out and walk around the block, go out dancing (minus the drinks) or check out some fun exercise programs (c25k - couch to 5k is only 30 minutes a day 3x per week).

You said "lifestyle change is not an option for me now." LOL! Seriously? Law School was the biggest lifestyle change you'll go through - it's HOW you go through it which matters. NOW is the time to establish the lifestyle you want to live! You are right, it's not an option... it's a choice. You can choose to be healthy, or you can choose to make excuses. If you can't handle adding exercise to your life now when you truly do have a lot of free hours (it's HOW you manage those hours that counts), then forget about when you start adding in a real job and the "real world." As a new associate, you'll be working 60+ hours per week. (60 hours a week means a lot of ordering in food and no exercise). You think the freshman 15 was bad... I've seen new associates gain 30 lbs in the first 6 months. Add on top of that a spouse, kids and life and you're in for a HUGE shock! Trust me, it's easier to lose a few lbs and maintain now with a little bit of effort. Let it go, and you could very well be facing 50lbs 10 years from now. (ahem... really... trust me cuz that's where I'm at RIGHT now! :grumble: ) Please trust me on this - I WISH I could go back to the days of law school. It really was my "me" time.

There is no magic cure. Sure, you can diet without exercise (then you'll be skinny fat... LOVE that phrase) or you can exercise but not diet (and be buff unhealthy). Better yet, a little bit of both and you can be FABULOUS!
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. When I was in law school, I put on 40 pounds, because I felt like I never had time to do anything, and I ate alot of junk. I have been out in the "real world" for four years now, and unfortunately, there are still never enough hours in the day. I had to wait until I was ready to make myself a priority to get started with this. Best of luck to you, and good luck on the bar!
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    @TS65

I understand the advice and I will try to follow. For me lifestyle change means having time to cook good, healthy meals and going grocery shopping, having time to go to the gym, having time to have some sort of a structure and some sort of a schedule. I am mostly in class and library and run on coffee and some Au Bon Pain snacks and sandwiches. The time that I DO have free, I just spend sleeping I could sleep for weeks on end *sigh (our gym is closed by the time I get out of the library). I also go to New York to visit my sister very often in the weekends so that's 9 hours and 2 rest stops by McDonalts *sigh again. But I guess there really isn't going to be that ideal time where I can put in the workout.

I will try to start this summer and not make excuses. Thanks for the advice everyone! I had a healthy salad with feta tonight yay