Too much sugar?

hgellings
hgellings Posts: 295 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
How many grams of sugar do you allow yourself in a day? Just wondering... lately I've been averaging 80-100grams and my goal according to mfp is 24. For the most part I feel like I watch what I eat, but it just seems to add up so fast! :ohwell:

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    According to MFP I should be at ~30, but I have a tough time too.
    The fruit is what puts me over, but I usually am able to stay under 50.
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    I usually can stay under 50 as well.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Maybe everyone will disagree with me, but I personally dont even look at my sugars on MFP. The only sugar I care about is refined sugar, which I have pretty much cut out of my diet (for the most part). MFP does not differentiate between refined sugars and natural sugars, and its the refined sugars that you need to watch out for. That could be whats throwing you off!
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Wow! That is way too much sugar, I think! Make choices! The MFP settings are really good. Just keep trying to meet your daily goal. It's ok if you are 10 over, I think. But I really try and reign mine in!. Don't give up! Keep trying!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    I have the same concern as you... My MFP says 33 g for me, and I had 93 g today. I guess I take that with a grain of salt (or sugar, haha) because I watch where the sugar comes from. I eat a lot of fruit, and it's lumping the good fruit sugar in with "bad" sugar. I think as long as you're eating balanced meals (and there aren't other health issues running in your family like diabetes or something) you should be okay? I'm definitely not an expert though, this is just my two cents.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    100 grams? that is actually really high.

If you are really worried about sugar I would cut down on some fruit and replace them with more veggies! I get between 3-20 grams of sugar a day.

It all breaks down into glucose, fruit sugar is no better for you. But sugar has amazing benefits, vitamins, and fiber! So dont let the sugar scare you away
  • Monsherri
    Monsherri Posts: 69
    Same for me....40...I'm usually over, though. I'm trying harder every day to stay in that range. You can change your tools to track your sugar. I was SHOCKED at how much I was consuming! It has helped me to have that info.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Maybe everyone will disagree with me, but I personally dont even look at my sugars on MFP. The only sugar I care about is refined sugar, which I have pretty much cut out of my diet (for the most part). MFP does not differentiate between refined sugars and natural sugars, and its the refined sugars that you need to watch out for. That could be whats throwing you off!

I agree. A good portion of my sugar intake is natural and i'm ALWAYS over my daily "limit". Today I ate 70, MFP limit is 29. 75% was from fresh fruit.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    The only things I eat that prob have a little too much sugar are my creamer(trying to cut down on this one for sure), my yoplait light I have at lunch and after dinner lately I have been having a serving of frozen yogurt... My treat. :tongue: Otherwise the rest is from fruits I guess.
  • i use splenda and enjoy it more so then sugar.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228

I agree. A good portion of my sugar intake is natural and i'm ALWAYS over my daily "limit". Today I ate 70, MFP limit is 29. 75% was from fresh fruit.
    I removed the sugar counter - all my fruits were putting me WAY over daily! I KNOW I don't add sugar to anything so I'm good! Yeah you may want to look at the SF creamers....I use SF vanilla....yum!
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Too much sugar wll cause either CRAVINGS or CRASHES! I truely feel that keep close to the amount suggested will help with weight loss! Instead of apple wirh peanut butter, use celery. Celery has o sugars. Even in fruit and veggies I still keep my sugar intact! Just try for a week! At first it will seem hard but then it gets easier!
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Too much sugar wll cause either CRAVINGS or CRASHES! I truely feel that keep close to the amount suggested will help with weight loss! Instead of apple wirh peanut butter, use celery. Celery has o sugars. Even in fruit and veggies I still keep my sugar intact! Just try for a week! At first it will seem hard but then it gets easier!

I agree- too much fruit is a bad thing! I have been sticking to the MFP sugar goals and have been seeing good results.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    But sugar has amazing benefits, vitamins, and fiber! So dont let the sugar scare you away
    Sugar had no health benefits(there is no fiber or vitamins in it)....period. It makes your insulin spike. It makes you constipated. It makes you fat. It is the first thing in everyone's diet that should be eliminated. Your body can make the glucose it needs from protein and fat. You don't need added sugars (sucrose, fructose, etc).
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    I do not eat refined sugars and I average about 10-20 grams a day. Some of that is from yogurt, but as I understand it, the lactose in yogurt turns to lactic acid and really shouldn't be considered sugar. My highest day this month was 39, my lowest 8.
This discussion has been closed.