Having trouble reaching calorie goal...

Options
I'm bound and determined to start eating healthier. I normally don't have trouble staying under my calorie goal, but I usually don't eat the healthiest things when meeting my calorie goal. So I went to the grocery store today, and totally avoided the inner aisles. This is what a friend recommended I do to stay away from all the processed foods. I left the store with chicken breasts, tilapia, eggs, milk, fresh fruit, and fresh vegetables. Today at lunch I started my new plan... which will be something like fried eggs with fruit for breakfast, mixed green salad with chicken and salad spritzer for lunch, chicken or fish with vegetables for dinner, and fruits/veggies as snacks throughout the day. After doing this for the majority of the day my intake was only around 900, leaving me 300 calories to spare. This never happens! I'm worried because 1200 is considered the bare minimum for women, but at the same time I don't want to eat just to gain calories even though I'm not hungry. I also don't feel like 300 calories can be easily filled when I'm snacking on fruits/veggies. All suggestions are very much appreciated! Sorry for the long, rambling post!

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is approx 200 calories for 2 tbsp and provides lots of healthy fats and protein! Just start dipping your apples in it!
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    try adding peanut butter to your apples or nutella to your bananas
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yum! Didn't even think about having peanut butter with my apples. I've actually got some in my pantry!
  • Jackee357
    Jackee357 Posts: 37
    Options
    If u have snacks inbetween meals, then that will help u reach your goal. I like to have whole nuts or peanut butter with apples or a banana.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't hungry...dont fret! I have never gone over 900 since ive started Feb 2. The better calorie stuff fills you and is low in calories, so its hard to meet the 1200! hope this helps!
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt with granola and fruit

Home made smoothies

Frozen grapes are the bomb... They take longer to eat and really trick my body into thinking im eating alot more than i am...

I have a hard time eating back my workout calories.. I barely push my 1200 without the workout so sometimes i have to get creative to at least eat back 1/2 of my workout calories..
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Start adding a banana to breakfast, an orange for a snack, etc.
  • lcarr19229
    lcarr19229 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you get 3 meals a day but you alway have to have snacks in between you meals. I am finding that once I add my steps for walking everyday I end up with more calories to use before I go to bed. I will sometimes eat a hard boiled egg for my snack helping be to use my calories and gain protein. I will also mix a yogurt and snack mix to help use some calories. You did not ramble but seem to be in the same spot as I am, trying to figure out the right way to use my calories without wasting them.
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions! Thanks everyone :)
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with this too so I started adding almonds and sometimes cranberries or black beans to my salad. It's really good and helps increase calories. I also added soe yogurt in the afternoon and it helps curve my sweet tooth. Yoplait Fat Free Red Velvet Cake yogurt is SOOOOOO yummy! Sometimes I eat my exercise calories and sometime I don't. It all depends on if I am hungry or not. I don't ant to eat just to be eating.