HCG Diet

Options
So...pretty sure almost everyone has heard about it. What do you think about it???

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Here's a great article about it. To be honest, I believe it should be used as a last resort. Just like any extreme diet, you are more prone to put the weight back on and then some. Plus, doing this diet, you will hardly have the energy to function, let alone workout. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/13/pregnancy-hormone-hcg-can-melt-away-your-body-fat.aspx
  • lala26105
    lala26105 Posts: 47
    Options
    yuck nuh uh i use quick trim but i use my own i take the purple pill twice a day and yellow at night for detox and is working but if u stop u will gain it back also chromium picolinate works also 1 tablet 30 mins b4 each meal and a bottle of water if ya have trouble with water like me use mio water enhancer
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. Anyone who eats only 500 calories a day is going to lose weight.

If HCG actually curbed hunger and made people lose weight, pregnant women wouldn't be hungry and wouldn't gain anything but weight from the actual baby and amnio. BUT they don't.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just asked out of curiosity...I LIVE My Wellness Plan and extremes are NO part of it. Just like to know what "Stuff" people are coming up with.
  • marte80
    marte80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good...it is. Slow and steady wins the race. MFP gives you the tools you need, use them. The weight will come off and you will feel much better about yourself.
  • jewelya23
    Options

If HCG actually curbed hunger and made people lose weight, pregnant women wouldn't be hungry and wouldn't gain anything but weight from the actual baby and amnio. BUT they don't.

hahahaha true!! lol BUT I have been on it for a week now and have lost 12 pounds. But...I always had a problem eating ENOUGH calories. I really had to try to get 600 a day. So, now that I am on the HCG diet, there are only certain things to eat. Today my calories were 187 for the WHOLE day....

But I also work out on this too. My workout is not my normal hour one, it is more like a short run or walk.
  • NavyWifeag
    NavyWifeag Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy who lost 30lb in a month on it. He gained 60 back. Eh, stay away. I know it's tempting, but the diet is really restrictive and not at all conducive to real life.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a friend doing it right now and she is miserable!!!! starving!!! so I will say I wouldnt do it!
  • jewelya23
    Options
    I knew a guy who lost 30lb in a month on it. He gained 60 back. Eh, stay away. I know it's tempting, but the diet is really restrictive and not at all conducive to real life.

how did he gain the 60lb back though? My mother-in-law lost 60lbs on it and has not gained an ounce back in several months.
  • Msfefe
    Msfefe Posts: 5
    Options
    Its a great plan my brother lost 180 pounds and has kept the weight off for 1. 5 years thus far. Most people do not understand the physiological aspects of the body once the hormone (that's what it is) is taken. The HCG pulls about 1500 cal a day from your abnormal fat stores which is why you only consume 500 calories. You only feel like you are starving the first couple of days. After that, the hunger goes aways (everyone is different). You must follow the plan as written. If you cheat, you will be sorry. But if you are committed, then it is a great plan.
  • jcarmel
    jcarmel Posts: 30
    Options
    Just say NO! I attempted to do it and in my second week in nearly passed out at work! Luckily I work in the medical field so I had a nurse...my blood sugar was 38, I could have gone into a coma! I then went off the diet and gained every pound back in 5 days! Now doing it right and have lost nearly 10 pounds and feel great!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Today my calories were 187 for the WHOLE day....

You only ate 187 calories?! What?!
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of this diet. I've never actually tried it myself, but I've had many friends who have. I've had some that say it really kept their appetite under control, and that's why they liked it. I have a couple friends who believed the drops did nothing for them so they stopped buying and just ate 500 calories daily. Most of them complained of being grouchy and tired all the time. And unfortunately the majority of them gained the weight they lost plus some back!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Its a great plan my brother lost 180 pounds and has kept the weight off for 1. 5 years thus far. Most people do not understand the physiological aspects of the body once the hormone (that's what it is) is taken. The HCG pulls about 1500 cal a day from your abnormal fat stores which is why you only consume 500 calories. You only feel like you are starving the first couple of days. After that, the hunger goes aways (everyone is different). You must follow the plan as written. If you cheat, you will be sorry. But if you are committed, then it is a great plan.

Actually that's NOT how it works. Nearly every creditable scientific study has found that it's the starvation that does the weightloss, NOT the hormone. The hormone does bupkiss for weightloss. It doesn't magically choose 1500 cal a day from your fat stores to burn. (Funny how that number plus what you eat, 500 cal, equals the recommended daily caloric allowance of 2000 cal.) I don't feel like dredging up the scientific studies that have been posted to MFP numerous times nor dredging through sciencedirect right now, so here's the quick version: http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options

hahahaha true!! lol BUT I have been on it for a week now and have lost 12 pounds. But...I always had a problem eating ENOUGH calories. I really had to try to get 600 a day. So, now that I am on the HCG diet, there are only certain things to eat. Today my calories were 187 for the WHOLE day....

But I also work out on this too. My workout is not my normal hour one, it is more like a short run or walk.

Only eating 600 is very bad for you, but 187?? That's terrifying and EXTREMELY unhealthy. Please eat more or you will end up in the hospital due to malnutrition.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options

This is so absurd that I might believe you to be a troll. In your profile, you state that you work full time, go to school full time, and have a 3 year old son. Now on top of that, you say you work out too, and your calories were 187 for the whole day.
    If this is true, you could not possibly believe that it is healthy by any stretch of the imagination. If you do, then I would say your diet is already affected your brain cells and you are headed toward big problems.

You say you don't want to be the 'fat mom', but surely you want to be around later for him, eh? Not a personal attack, I just can't believe anyone could think this is at all healthy.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

This is so absurd that I might believe you to be a troll. In your profile, you state that you work full time, go to school full time, and have a 3 year old son. Now on top of that, you say you work out too, and your calories were 187 for the whole day.
    If this is true, you could not possibly believe that it is healthy by any stretch of the imagination. If you do, then I would say your diet is already affected your brain cells and you are headed toward big problems.

You say you don't want to be the 'fat mom', but surely you want to be around later for him, eh? Not a personal attack, I just can't believe anyone could think this is at all healthy.

I have to agree...with all this activity, that's too much of a deficit and while it may be super duper now, being that active and consuming so little calories is very dangerous. There seems to be more people who have negative experiences than positive ones doing the HCG diet.....and that alone makes me say "um yeah no". I'm morbidly obese...not just overweight but morbidly obese and unless I teach my brain how to eat, no pill or anything is going to help me.

No pill can choose what stored fat it uses...I'll have to do some more research but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Either way, if you continue good luck to you and I wish you the very best!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I'm morbidly obese...not just overweight but morbidly obese....

You know, this may sound weird, but high high kudos to you for saying so, in public! (Although I'd never guess it by your picture! You look great!) I can't honestly say I've ever admitted that outloud. Somehow I can call myself "fat" but the O word...ugh. It takes courage, so I applaud you. Best of encouragement and success on your journey!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    :smile: