Eat my recommended calories, but not loosing weight

Options
Hi there! So I've beein loving MFP, helping me keep on track and be more conscience about what I'm eating. However, I'm not really loosing much weight. I enter my calories (to a "T") for every meal of every day, always making sure to eat at least a minimum of 1200 calories. To loose 2lbs a week, MFP suggested that I would need to eat no more than 1560 calories a day. So each day when I've complete by food diary, at the bottom it will say, if you continue to eat this way you should loose 8lbs (or be this many lbs) in 5 weeks. What am I doing wrong? It's been 5 weeks and I'm lucky if I've lost even 2lbs!!! Any suggestions as to why this might be? Thanks!

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising? Maybe your metabolism is really low.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can help. Are you drinking enough water? Too much sodium? Try playing around with the calories a few days and shake up your body.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can help. Are you drinking enough water? Too much sodium? Try playing around with the calories a few days and shake up your body.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, the calories recommended are the required amounts you need to maintain your weight. I could be wrong, but from this weight place I went to, they said that no matter how much you consume, you need to lose more than you eat. Pretty basic. Move more, eat less.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if you are working out and gaining muscle, you will not always see a loss on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it could be a lil while before you see a major loss. To see if you are making progress take your measurements.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I find if I eat all the calories from my exercise burned calories, I maintain. Change your calories every couple of days. One day 1200, next 1400 or 1500, then back down to 1200. Also switch up your exercise. Exercise a lot one day and less the next. If you do the same exercise everyday and eat the same amount of calories, your body is anticpating the metabolism it needs to maintain. Keep your body guessing as to what is needs to do.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    if you are working out and gaining muscle, you will not always see a loss on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat

That is incorrect.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if you are working out and gaining muscle, you will not always see a loss on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat

That is incorrect.

sorry it came out wrong. what i meant by that is a pound of muscle takes less space than a pound of fat. you are likely to see inches come off faster that pounds if you are building your muscles.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That is incorrect.

When I read this, I could only picture Chris Farley in Billy Madison taking his clothes off in tent saying, "That is correct." Haha.
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, the calories recommended are the required amounts you need to maintain your weight. I could be wrong, but from this weight place I went to, they said that no matter how much you consume, you need to lose more than you eat. Pretty basic. Move more, eat less.

No no those calories are not for maintaining weight. I've done the math for myself and the calories myfitnesspal sets up for you is toward weight loss to whatever the setting you had aka "I want to lose _ pounds a week" The recommended amount is 1 pound a week, which is what i selected but it gives other options like 1/2 a pound or 1.5 pounds or 2 pounds a week, if you select the other options is adjusts your caloric goal.

Example: I have my goal at losing a pound a week. This has my caloric goal at: 1,550 calories a day. If I select that I want to lose 2 pounds a week it adjusts my caloric goal to 1,200 calories a day. Therefore MFP doesn't set your calories at maintaining your current weight, it wouldn't make sense if it did.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options

No no those calories are not for maintaining weight. I've done the math for myself and the calories myfitnesspal sets up for you is toward weight loss to whatever the setting you had aka "I want to lose _ pounds a week" The recommended amount is 1 pound a week, which is what i selected but it gives other options like 1/2 a pound or 1.5 pounds or 2 pounds a week, if you select the other options is adjusts your caloric goal.

Example: I have my goal at losing a pound a week. This has my caloric goal at: 1,550 calories a day. If I select that I want to lose 2 pounds a week it adjusts my caloric goal to 1,200 calories a day. Therefore MFP doesn't set your calories at maintaining your current weight, it wouldn't make sense if it did.

Good catch. I was just about to post the same.
  • tljacks8
    tljacks8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with that question...,but why is wine so bad if you are within your calories?
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    water water water! it helps sooo much. I bet if you do the same thing you are doing now but increase your water to 10 8oz glasses of water a day you will drop some weight. Good luck!!!!!
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    water water water! it helps sooo much. I bet if you do the same thing you are doing now but increase your water to 10 8oz glasses of water a day you will drop some weight. Good luck!!!!!
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I struggled with finding what worked for me when I began dieting, and what works for me might not work for the next person. Try zig zagging your calories... alternate between higher intake and lower intake days. Maybe this could like kick boost your metabolism! Don't get discouraged. Just keep experimenting and find out what works for you :)