meat alternatives

Options
I am not a big meat eater at all and want to completely cut it out of my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions for meat alternatives?

Replies

• Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I really like the Morningstar Crumbles for recipes that call for browned hamburger. I like the Morningstar much better than the Boca! (And I'm a big carnivore :happy: )
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    beans and nuts. greek yogurt is also high in protein.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Beans.. Black beans are great
  • Caerith
    Caerith Posts: 15
    Options
    Chicken Nuggets.

It really depends on what nutrients in meat you're going to be missing if you cut meat out of your diet, but the best single food to replace meat is going to be beans. Really can't go wrong with beans.
  • mmelaragno
    mmelaragno Posts: 162
    Options
    Portabella mushrooms! You can make burgers, stuffed mushrooms, philly cheese "steaks" I love them! I am a vegetarian and they are a huge staple in our diet.
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lentils, tempeh, seitan, TVP, tofu, mushrooms, quorn
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Beans and Portabellas! Quinoa is also super high in protein, too, and really good thrown on a bed of greens in a salad.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I use Morningstar, too. Their "burgers" and "chicken patties" are incredible on the Pepperidge Farms Deli Flats.
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Tofu rocks as a protein substitute. Get the extra firm stuff if you're new to it and are looking for something "meatier".

Seiten is fantastic, too -- 75% protein and low-carb. Not for the gluten-free diet, though.

Protein powders are a great boost as well.

I adore Quorn products, meat substitutes made from a mushroom base. They don't taste a thing like mushroom, but mushroom allows them to duplicate chicken texture pretty well. Good stuff!
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just really want to eat cleaner. I had heard somewhere before that if you want to cut meat completely to take it little by little and do one meat at a time instead of all at once.

I have been wanting to try tofu but I am nervous about the taste and what to do about it. Suggestions?
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    watch out for the sodium on the Morningstar and Boca products! they will KILL your MFP diary for the day!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I liked that kim mentioned seitan...
    I was vegetarian for like 2 years before I knew about it.

It's wheat gluten that has the SAME texture as like chicken. it's a PERFECT substitute.

Go to your local asian grocery store and they have a ton of meat substitutes there. You can buy fake duck, fake pork, musroom 'meat', dried soy chunks...... and usually it's way cheaper than shopping at a 'western' grocery store.

you will find international food is your new best friend.

tempeh is readily available at any grocery store. when i first bought it as a wee vegetarian i wasn't sure what to do with it. i'm still not sure but a surefire way is to fry it up in a pan or bake it. I add it to salads or cut it up like sausages or put it on sandwiches.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Vegetable protein is a great alternative, although since it's soy, you need to have a grain to make the protein complete. If you keep fish, cool beans. If not, beans are great! Cottage cheese is an amazing, complete protein.

I'm vegetarian and usually supplement with whey protein mixed in a smoothie or something. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, as well.

Nuts are great, but they're high in fat, and although it's a really good fat, it's still fat.

And, make sure you take a B-12 supplement. It's the only vitamin present in animal products exclusively.

Good luck!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    watch out for the sodium on the Morningstar and Boca products! they will KILL your MFP diary for the day!

Hmm...you know. I don't think I've even noticed the sodium in them before! Thanks for the heads-up!
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options

And, make sure you take a B-12 supplement. It's the only vitamin present in animal products exclusively.

Did not know that! Thanks!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I ate Vegan years ago but gave it up.

I have since gone back to a mostly Vegan diet in order to lose weight and be more healthy.

I take sublingual B12 every morning to wake up before I hit then gym. I still have coffee after my workout but don't like it before as it messes with my heart rate.

Setian and Tempeh are my favorite faux meats. Both are great marinated and pan fried. I like to add TVP to my lunches of stewed tomatoes and brown rice.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

you will find international food is your new best friend.

I could live on Indian food forever!
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    Protein is found in ALL vegetables and fruits really. Plus, Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat dairy and eggs, which are loaded with protein and B12. Humans only need about .36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. So your protein or considered lack of protein for going vegetarian is really a myth generated by the meat industry in my opinion.

As for meat alternatives, as some have said Morningstar Farms and Boca products can be found at the local Wal-Mart or food store. Just be careful of the sodium in these. Soyrizo - Meatless Soy Chorizo is good too if you like some spicey foods. If you have the time, one can actually just make their own 'veggie burgers' with egg, chic peas, shredded potatoes, spices, etc.

Tofu is designed to 'soak in' the flavor of the food you cook it with. You can soak in a marinade, fry it, etc. I find it rather bland really at times, but it still goes well with sweet and sour soup, stir fry, and whatnot.