depo

Options
any on the depo injection notice any weight spikes right after shot. i have had problems with weight spikes before. never paid attention to timing. well just last week got my shot two days after i jumped 5 pounds, no reason at all diet wise, i have since lost almost all of that back. but found it intresting that it was right after

Replies

• ReneElena
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people gain weight on it. I am the opposite and gain weight on the pill and loose weight on depo.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo, but I dont know If I noticed anything.. my next one is in may, so I'll be looking out for it!
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I will never do depo again. I was on it when i was 16 for 9 months and gained 50 pounds! (I am sure an abusive relationship didn't help either) Still can't get it off. I gained 150lbs with all 3 of my pregnancies and lost every pound but can not get rid of that 50!
  • creativedisaster
    Options
    I am trying to lose the weight that i gained on depo! i haven't been on it in over 10 years. i have lost all my baby weight and post-marriage weight... depo can be dangerous for some women, please be careful :)
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the depo is what's causing it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Depo has a lot of crazy side effects, some of which my "doctor" conveniently forgot to mention to me before I started getting the injections. From the research I've done, it's a little questionable all the way around. I had some INSANE mood changes while I was on it. Basically, my body and mind felt really out of whack, like something didn't feel right. I didn't feel like myself. Once I got off of it, I felt so much better. I would never recommend Depo to anyone, and I certainly won't ever consider going back on it again. I hope your experience has been better.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I gained a ton of weight while I was on depo but it was gradual and I was in college so it's hard to tell which factor was worse! I switched to Implanon and gained 30lbs in a year!! CRAZY! Good luck!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    in have never notice weight gain from it. but i just found it odd that little jump when everything was right on target other wise. been on it two or so years , but heck a little spike like that if i then lose it back, if not weighing all the time or an on relieable scale as i had before getting a new one, who would notice
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed spikes with my shot, but I did just take it and had a little gain. I just thought I was building more muscle. Hmm. I will have to watch that next month.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the depo is what's causing it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Depo has a lot of crazy side effects, some of which my "doctor" conveniently forgot to mention to me before I started getting the injections. From the research I've done, it's a little questionable all the way around. I had some INSANE mood changes while I was on it. Basically, my body and mind felt really out of whack, like something didn't feel right. I didn't feel like myself. Once I got off of it, I felt so much better. I would never recommend Depo to anyone, and I certainly won't ever consider going back on it again. I hope your experience has been better.

have had no problems , and if it is because of the shot. well i can take a 5 pound jump i lose right away every three months rather than a 9 month long big weight gain LOL
  • agdeierl
    Options
    Well, as any gyno will tell you, all birth control has weight gain as one of its most common side effects. Whether it actually will happen or not depends on your unique body chemistry. But I would say if there's nothing else to blame it on really, then it's probably the depo. Unfortunately, birth control makes many (if not most) women gain weight. But if you combat that with diet and exercise, you can usually keep it in check. Good luck!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, as any gyno will tell you, all birth control has weight gain as one of its most common side effects. Whether it actually will happen or not depends on your unique body chemistry. But I would say if there's nothing else to blame it on really, then it's probably the depo. Unfortunately, birth control makes many (if not most) women gain weight. But if you combat that with diet and exercise, you can usually keep it in check. Good luck!

I agree with your last sentence. I actually started my depo shot and MFP around the same time. I lost five pounds without MFP and 19 with it. I haven't experienced any weight gain. I've just assumed I'm one of the lucky ones, but my exercise and diet definitely are a part of it.

That being said, I will be switching birth control methods come May. I found that it did mess with my overall mood, and let's not get too personal and talk about my sex-drive.

I've been looking into Yaz. Or maybe just the traditional pill...
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I gained over 60 lbs within the first three months on Depo. :( And I ate right and worked out regularly at the time... I wouldn't recommend the depo shot for my worst enemy. That and I COMPLETELY lost my sex drive. ONLY positive thing was no AF (TOM...)

EDITED: I was on it 11 years ago. And have NEVER gotten off more than 20 lbs of that... :(
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    I gained about 7lbs during my 3 months on it :/ still trying to work it off. When I was on it, I didn't over indulge on anythiing i kept my diary and workd out.

I recommend the ring to everyone!!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Weird. I never put it together before now, but the 3 months I was on Depo after my daughter was born was the only time in my life I've actually been overweight. That shot was the deepest hell I've ever experienced in my life....for so many reasons.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    Weird. I never put it together before now, but the 3 months I was on Depo after my daughter was born was the only time in my life I've actually been overweight. That shot was the deepest hell I've ever experienced in my life....for so many reasons.

In regards to your last sentence...me too. I felt like I was going crazy, but the more I researched it I found TONS of women were experiencing the same thing. I got off it as soon as I realized the link, but it took my body a while to go back to normal. I personally don't think Depo is safe really. I wish it wasn't available, because I think it is just horrible for our bodies. Birth control in general is not good, but Depo is especially bad. Eventually I hope to be in a stable enough place in my life where I can practice the fertility awareness method.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Isn't it interesting how everyone's body is so different?! I LOVE depo - no weight gain, it's evened out my mood swings and breast soreness, and I LOVE not having to deal with a period!!
  • cocktaildot
    cocktaildot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on the DEPO six months and I am positive that I have put on weight, about 7lb. The nurse said my weight was the same but its after the shot the weight goes on and I have to try really hard to loose it. Last time the nurse said it was because of Christmas and I probably ate too much! I am due for a shot lateer in the month so will be monitoring my weight then!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Depo - I was on it for 4 years

My hair fell out ALOT
    My sex drive went to -100
    I was EXHAUSTED all the time
    I was moody
    I gained weight

No thanks.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 2 years and have not had any weight gain, But, it did make me crazy after the first month in a hormonal way. I was having crazy panic attacks when it was time for my first period after the shot.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I've been on it for 5 years and love it! I have gained and loss 15 pounds numerous times but it has nothing to do with the depo. My Dr. told me that gaining weight with birth control is in your hands since you are the one who chooses to eat an apple or a bag of chips. The best part of depo is no TOM and no PMS.