Giving up sugar... HELP!

Options
OK, so I have done this before... giving up sugar. It seems like once you start eating it again, usually while TOMs here, it is sooo hard to stop eating it again. I really feel the need to give up sugar now because it's ruining my diet!! I have a perfect day and BAM I I get hit with a sweets craving and before I know it, I've just screwed up my whole diet!

I know it's all about having self control and wanting this for yourself and if I really want to lose weight I need to be able to say no to sweets, BUT does anyone have any advice or tips on tackling the sugar cravings... especially during that TOM?? Thanks everyone in advance! :)

Replies

• MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to stop the cravings or even fight them. So I try and replace them. Skinny Cow icecream bars instead of a giant bowl of ice cream, 2 mini PB cups instead of 2 regular ones, 30 jelly bellys for only 125 calories, 100 calorie snack packs, etc.
    I know that if I completely cut off sugar I won't be able to live with that plan, so I allow myself a little each day, and maybe a little more during TOM. I don't want to feel deprived, but I also don't want to fall back into my old ways, so I am still working on finding the balance. I havea little sugar each day, I am happy and satisfied and still getting skinnier.
  • gojiberries
    Options
    i am a raw foodist so the yummy sweets that i make are actually healthy for you. like my chocolate pudding is made from avocados, coconut oil, cacao powder and agave. Calores and fat are different when they are in their raw form, the body uses them differently. I lost 20lbs in 1 month when i went raw. Some great info to check out is the movie Food Matters and the book The SunFood Diet Success System by David Wolfe. Eating raw living foods will change your life. Its not a diet its a way of life.

The majority of americans are addicted to sugar because its put in everything, so dont feel alone with this struggle.
    check out my website if youd like =)
    eyeofrawfoods.com
  • johnny51981
    Options
    Well, getting away from sugar all together is impossible, since there is some form of sugar in virtually everything. And since I'm a dude...I clearly don't have that monthly visitor. And I'm going to say that your body does need some sugar to function properly...I'm not diabetic or hypoglycemic, but I do know that my blood sugar can get low enough to cause me to be shaky at times.

But there is always fruits that are natural sugars that you can eat. So fruit salads, fruit smoothies and such should give you the help with the sweet tooth as well as give your body the sugar that it needs.
  • rondakaylindsey
    Options
    High protein food helps, I also occasionally pack low carb treats such as some Adkins treats and Nutrigrain has a thin granola bar with a thin layer of chocolate or peanut butter that are low carb and low calorie. I make sugar free cream pie's with sugar fee pudding mixes and sugar free whipped topping. There are a lot of good sugar free items that don't taste terrible these days. The whole point of no sugar and GOOD carb is to keep your blood sugar levels from spiking through the day. Keeping blood sugar levels as level as possible will boost your metabolism and prevent the ups and downs as well as cravings through the day~
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    @Gojiberry... I forgot to quote... oops! There are a bunch of raw food places where I live (Berkeley, CA) and also where my boyfriend lives (Fairfax, CA) so it makes it really easy to eat raw foods. I have tried a couple places and have loved it, but I am unsure whether I could go completely raw! Maybe if I just switch to raw desserts I could do myself some good! Out here we have a bunch of stores that also sell raw treats (I really like the mayan spice Wildbar... it has raw cacao, and blue green algae and I think cayenne pepper - you should try it if you haven't yet. YUM!). Anywho... I think I may head to one of the many health food stores here and stock up on some! Thanks for the tip!!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I don't know how to stop the cravings or even fight them. So I try and replace them. Skinny Cow icecream bars instead of a giant bowl of ice cream, 2 mini PB cups instead of 2 regular ones, 30 jelly bellys for only 125 calories, 100 calorie snack packs, etc.
    I know that if I completely cut off sugar I won't be able to live with that plan, so I allow myself a little each day, and maybe a little more during TOM. I don't want to feel deprived, but I also don't want to fall back into my old ways, so I am still working on finding the balance. I havea little sugar each day, I am happy and satisfied and still getting skinnier.

I love skinny cow!! I don't know if I could completely quit either... I have done it before, but I always end up going back... I hate it! I just need to keep it moderation! Thanks for the advice! :)
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice!!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist at a vitamin store one time told me that Gymnema is an herb often used to stop sugar cravings. I haven't actually researched this myself, but that's what I was told...it could be worth checking out.