My high sodium & high protein intake

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
So being a little concerned myself, and having heard a little from some of my MFP's about my sodium intake, I had a metabolic panel done (blood test) by my doc & learned some good news. Some of my MFP friends have noted that my sodium is often double & sometimes triple the recommended 2500 mgs. One of the results of the panel is electrolytes; my doc said mine looks totally in balance. I explained my diet & my concern and he attributes my normalcy to good drinking habits and good amounts of strenuous exercise.

The doc also questioned me about the fact that I have high BUN levels (his words); it's Blood Urea Nitrogen. I told him about my high protein & low carb diet recently and he said this would explain it. I'm typically getting around 250 gm of protein per day. He wasn't concerned however because the creatinine (by-product flushed by the kidney) was in the OK range so, in short, he says these high intakes of sodium & protein are fine with how my body is handling them.

This was good news to me since I've read many a warning against my high sodium and the ill effects of high protein. Of course, not everyone is the same and I realize that some have a genetic disposition for heart disease so they should more closely watch their sodium intake.

I just wanted to make the point though, that we don't have to militantly follow to a 'T' every default setting here on MFP. Know what your goals are, how to reach them, and find a way to make it work for you.

By the way, though, I'm flattered by those that have ever expressed concern. That's also what this site is about. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'm dying to get mine done. I find it extremely interesting!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have never watched my sodium intake. I usually load up the salt. Sodium retains water so that I don't burn out as fast during my Muay Thai classes.

*edit* This is based on my own experiments and don't know how it would work on others.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Glad that you got such great news!

I see the 'warnings' about protein on here all the time, and though I'm sure they are well-intentioned, they are inaccurate. High protein is not going to hurt anyone with normal, healthy kidneys

Sodium is a problem for dieters because it can result in water retention, which frustrates many folks when they weigh in. And it's also an issue for folks with high blood pressure. But you make an excellent point that for people who regularly work up a heavy sweat, MFP's sodium guidlelines could be low.
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

The doc also questioned me about the fact that I have high BUN levels (his words); it's Blood Urea Nitrogen. I told him about my high protein & low carb diet recently and he said this would explain it. I'm typically getting around 250 gm of protein per day. He wasn't concerned however because the creatinine (by-product flushed by the kidney) was in the OK range so, in short, he says these high intakes of sodium & protein are fine with how my body is handling them.

How do you get so much protein daily?? Obviously I know it's possible, of course, but what sources are you getting all of it from, personally?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

How do you get so much protein daily?? Obviously I know it's possible, of course, but what sources are you getting all of it from, personally?
    I have about 6 small-medium meals per day. Each will have 30-40 gms of protein but usually more in lunch & dinner. My sources are:

- egg whites
    - chicken, turkey, steak (on occasion)
    - protein bars (once a day)
    - protein shake (once or twice)
    - greek yogurt
    - milk & cheese

If you want to friend me my diary's open.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    very interesting :)