9 Appetite-Suppressing Foods

Options
mrphil86
mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
I don't know if this has ever been covered but I do know people have a lot of questions on it.

Source of this is: http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/212#98831577

1. Oatmeal

This hot cereal is high in fiber and low on the glycemic index, which means it fills you up and takes a long time to digest. Research has shown that diets high in slow-burning carbohydrates like oatmeal suppress the hunger hormone grehlin more effectively than diets high in fat do. In fact, when you eat oatmeal for breakfast, you may find that your appetite is lower at lunchtime. Steel-cut or rolled oats digest more slowly than the "instant" variety do, so it's worth taking a few extra minutes in the morning to prepare your breakfast the old-fashioned way.

2. Apples.

Not only are apples nutritious, but what sets them apart from other fruits is pectin, a soluble fiber that helps regulate blood sugar, keeps you full, and sustains your energy. One medium apple with skin contains 4 grams of fiber, which is more than you'd get in an average slice of whole wheat bread. Add an apple and some cinnamon to your morning oatmeal for an appetite-suppressing breakfast.

3. Pine nuts.

These edible pine-tree seeds contain more protein than any other nut or seed, and their oil stimulates two appetite-suppressing hormones (cholecystokinin [CCK] and glucagon-like peptide-1) that tell your brain you're not hungry. Blend pine nuts with basil, garlic, and a little olive oil to make pesto, or sprinkle them on your salad or oatmeal for a delicious, nutty crunch.

4. Salad

Salad. The fiber in typical salad vegetables like lettuce, cabbage, spinach, celery, cucumbers, broccoli, and peppers is very filling and helps slow the release of glucose into your bloodstream. Studies have shown that when people start a meal with a small salad, they eat significantly fewer calories in the meal itself. Just watch out for the high-fat dressings (or worse, fat-free dressings that are high in sugar). Try having the dressing on the side and dipping your fork into it for easy portion control, or simply add a dash of balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice for a tasty, super-low-calorie option. Bonus tip: Try to eat a vegetable at every meal to keep your appetite at bay all day long.

5. Olive oil and other unsaturated fats.

Researchers at the University of California at Irvine found that unsaturated fat causes the intestines to release a compound (oleoylethanolamide) that has been shown to reduce appetite and stimulate weight loss. Some great unsaturated fat choices include avocados, olives and olive oil, almonds, salmon, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts, and sesame seeds. These foods are high in calories, so enjoy them in moderation while regulating your appetite.

6. Flaxseeds.

Flax is one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids. The seeds are also very high in protein and fiber, making them excellent for appetite control. Sprinkle ground flaxseeds over oatmeal, salads, or yogurt, or add them to smoothies to help stabilize your blood sugar and turn off the hunger hormones.

7. Beans.

The fiber in beans increases CCK, a digestive hormone that's a natural appetite suppressant. A research study at the University of California at Davis found that men who ate a high-fiber meal containing beans had CCK levels that were two times higher than when they ate a low-fiber meal. Beans also keep your blood sugar steady, which helps stave off hunger.

8. Whey Protein Powder

Whey protein. New studies suggest that whey protein stimulates the hormones that increase the feeling of being full. In one study, researchers at the University of Surrey in England found that people who consumed whey protein felt fuller and more satisfied with less food. Whey also stabilizes blood sugar, and that can help control food urges. Make a drink with Beachbody's Whey Protein Powder to calm your appetite any time of the day.

9. Spicy foods.

Capsaicin, the ingredient that gives peppers their heat, can also help control your raging appetite. A recent study published in Clinical Nutrition suggests that capsaicin-rich foods may help you consume fewer calories, plus they help support weight loss by suppressing your appetite and making you feel fuller. You can add hot pepper sauce to tomato juice, stir-fry some Anaheim or Serrano peppers with other vegetables, or cook up some jalapeño or poblano peppers in your omelet. Other spicy ingredients may have similar effects, so try adding spices like hot mustard and curry to your salads and meats.

Hope this helps yall! =)

Replies

• catmandoodle
    Options
    bump
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? I eat Apples, Oatmeal, and salad all the time and they are some of the foods that fill me up the least xDD If I just eat an apple when I'm hungry, half an hour later I'm STARVING. It just goes through me so quick and has hardly any calories, it just teases my tummy and then makes me even hungrier. Same with salads, unless there's a healthy amount of protein included. Oatmeal is a good base, but again, without protein like nuts, peanut butter, and chopped fruits, it isn't long before I'm hungry again.
    Am i the only one like this D: ?
    Beans however, I can totally get behind! xDDD
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only person in the world who gets HUNGRIER eating apples - so much so that I don't eat them at all any more :frown:
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That was very nice of you to take the time for that post! Much appreciated!
  • mrphil86
    Options
    Are you kidding me? I eat Apples, Oatmeal, and salad all the time and they are some of the foods that fill me up the least xDD If I just eat an apple when I'm hungry, half an hour later I'm STARVING. It just goes through me so quick and has hardly any calories, it just teases my tummy and then makes me even hungrier. Same with salads, unless there's a healthy amount of protein included. Oatmeal is a good base, but again, without protein like nuts, peanut butter, and chopped fruits, it isn't long before I'm hungry again.

It says in combination with your meals.
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find an apple to be satiating. When I need a pick me up I eat about 7 almonds. It works for me but everybody is different.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    whenever i eat a medium apple, my stomach becomes weird. it starts making noises and i feel even hungrier!
  • mrphil86
    Options
    I'll vouch for the pine nuts, they work for me!
  • Nancylynnrose
    Options
    Me and my honey eat oatmeal at least 3-4 mornings a week and usually with an apple and some raisons and almonds. Keeps me going all morning long. :tongue:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Good information!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Me too! My apple is usually accompanied by cheese and crackers. I sometimes add peanut butter to oatmeal, or I'll have oatmeal with walnuts and an egg on the side. The carbohydrates must be accompanied by a protein. Beans? Perfect. Carbohydrate and protein in one perfect little package. It looks like I eat so much food, but it's all about regulating blood sugar!
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is actually a magic food for me... I've started eating a good amount .5cup (150 calories or so) with a flavored protein powder for breakfast (around 100 calories). I've learned that it's worth it to have a 250-300 calorie breakfast because then I don't want to eat 800 calories at lunch.

As for apples... I agree. I could eat like 5 apples no big deal. I see it on the filling list lots of places but I don't feel like it fills me up. I was actually just looking at this chart:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

and it lists peanuts as having a low satiety. To me, they fill me up so fast. I think these have to do with not only glycemic factors but also cultural factors. If you think the apple won't fill you up it won't. If you treat peanuts as a salty snack food then they will be a snack food without real substance. Just a theory.

Me too! My apple is usually accompanied by cheese and crackers. I sometimes add peanut butter to oatmeal, or I'll have oatmeal with walnuts and an egg on the side. The carbohydrates must be accompanied by a protein. Beans? Perfect. Carbohydrate and protein in one perfect little package. It looks like I eat so much food, but it's all about regulating blood sugar!
  • sbrake
    sbrake Posts: 25
    Options
    thanks!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    This list is great - thanks! I've found that most of the things I eat from it do suppress my appetite - especially the whey protein. I'll try to incorporate the foods I don't eat as often (such as the pine nuts) into my diet more - I even have some at home so no excuses!