Help, I need quick&healthy breakfast and lunch idea's.

bethinbehealthy
bethinbehealthy Posts: 5
edited September 26 in Recipes
So, I'm just starting out with my diet tomorrow. I'm also going grocery shopping tomorrow. I need a list or suggestions of what I should buy to make quick lunch and breakfast on the go. I'm in college and I take my breakfast and lunch with me to school so I need something that won't spoil! (:
Help anybody? <3

Replies

• Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 328 Member
    I would suggest fruit and nuts to snack on, boiled eggs (done that night before) make a good breakfast. Rice Cakes or Ryebread/Cruskits with tuna or salmon can make a healthy low calorie lunch.

Hope this helps
  • thanks it does help (:
    I'm making one huge list of all the things I need to buy :D
  • ixxta
    ixxta Posts: 10
    I recommend fiber one granola bars, tuna sandwich (whole wheat bread). Every morning I will eat cereal, but some days I will spoil myself with a bagel thin (100 calories), low fat whipped cream cheese 2tbs. Nuts or fruits will do the trick too. I will recommend the boiled eggs but only once a week.
  • I too am always on the go. Between school and work.

For breakfast I like a healthy protein shake. My favorite is:

1/4 c. Blueberries (Frozen)
    1/4 c. Strawberries (Frozen)
    1-2 Tbs Adams All Natural Peanut Butter (optional)
    1 serving of Whey Protein Powder
    1/2 c milk or water

Blend until smooth.

For portability I use a blender bottle which has a whisk ball to re-mix my shake if it begins to separate.

For in between meal snacks I like:

1 piece of fruit and a light string cheese stick

or

1/4 c raw almonds with a piece of fruit

Stretch island fruit strips are a good substitute for fruit.

For lunch I often pack a simple sandwich on whole wheat bread. Your favorite lean meat, tuna, or sometimes peanut butter sweetened with honey makes a good topping. Leaf lettuce and sprouts provide a healthy addition to many meats.
  • these are so great guys! thank youuuuu :D
    seriously I'm like writing everything down! lol.
    It'll probably cost a pretty penny, but hey it's worth it right? (:
    Yeah, if I'm not at school I'm working and I always work the closing shift and that's what kills me so much because I'll get home at like 10:30 pm and I'm always starving, like today I ate grilled chicken with some steamed rice but it was already like past ten when I ate. I hate that. so now i'm drinking like diet green tea because I'm still hungry. I don't know how to make it go away. blaaah.
  • thinxo
    thinxo Posts: 2
    HEALTHY LUNCH IDEA #1: Sushi Roll Rice Salad
    This is a great pre-workout meal that is easy to prepare. A salad version of a deconstructed sushi roll!

Ingredients

1 cup (250 mL) cooked short grain brown rice
    1/2 lb (250 g) cooked shrimp or sliced salmon, tuna or imitation crab
    1 avocado, peeled and sliced
    16 cucumber slices
    1/4 cup (50 mL) wasabi peas
    1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbed or sliced nori (roasted seaweed)
    Directions

In two small bowls, divide rice. Arrange seafood or fish, avocado and cucumber slices over rice. Top with wasabi peas and nori.

Makes 2 servings
  • thinxo
    thinxo Posts: 2
    HEALTHY LUNCH IDEA #2: Veggie and Cream Cheese Bagel Sandwich

Ingredients

1 whole-grain bagel (such as Stonemill Flax and Honey Bagel)
    1 tbsp (15 mL) spreadable low fat cream cheese 
    6 thin slices cucumber
    2 thin red pepper rings
    1/4 cup (65 mL) shredded, peeled carrots
    Directions

Slice bagel in half horizontally with a knife. Spread cream cheese over both cut halves of the bagel. Arrange cucumber slices over the bottom half of the bagel. Add red pepper rings and sprinkle with shredded carrot. Place top half of bagel over carrots and serve.
  • loodoo87
    loodoo87 Posts: 33
    For breakfast I have either 1 poached egg on 1 slice of wholemeal toast with 1 tsp low fat spread.
    OR
    50g muesli with skimmed milk and halved grapes on top
    OR
    200ml of yoghurt, 150g berries, 1 tsp honey and 1tsp sunflower seeds
    OR
    2 weetabix with skimmed milk and 1 tsp splenda
    OR
    1 slice of wholemeal bread with 1 tsp low fat spread, reduced sugar jam or marmalade, 1/2 grapefruit and 200ml pot of muller light yoghurt.
    All of these options are so tasty and they are all about 250 calories. I cant waith for breakfast now!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Almond butter on whole wheat bread or packed to dip apple slices in.
    Hummus either in a whole wheat pita or packed as a dip with veggies.

I do up "egg mcmuffins" for my husband. I'll buy a pack of whole wheat english muffins (sandwich thins or bagel thins would work, too) . I set up an assembly line with low fat cheese slices and eggs. Fry the eggs one at a time in a circular cookie cutter set in a frying pan, both lightly coated with cooking spray. Put the egg "patty" on the bread with the cheese and wrap each sandwich in a foil sheet. Then put all the sandwiches in a large freezer bag. Each night I take one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost, in the moring he takes it out of the foil and microwaves it for a minute...and, then runs out the door with it in a paper towel to eat on his way to work.

When I cook my oatmeal, I do three servings at a time and put the extra two servings in individual bowls in the fridge...that way I only have to cook every three days. :wink: It helps to keep life from getting in the way of my eating right. I find making a big bowl of lettuce, celery, carrot salad mix to dip into helps streamline meal making and it's great to add to sandwiches, too. Cooking on the weekend and then having a big pot of soup to eat for lunches is my healthy "fast food" alternative.

You should definitely look into a thermal bag and a couple of reusable ice packs...a thermos, too, for soups, fruit salads, pasta.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    I mentioned Almond Butter sandwiches, but it's great on toast for a on the go breakfast!
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    I have a bowl of museli with a low fat probiotic yogurt mixed in, nice and quick to prepare and I eat this whilst putting my make up on, so no excuse for missing breakfast. During my day at work I will snack on a banana or apple or carrot sticks with some hummous (measured out into a little plastic pot). For lunch I tend to have a pitta filled with grilled chicken and salad with a bit of low fat mayo or hummous. You can marinade the chicken to add different flavours.
  • thanks guys, I guess every week I'll just buy a lot of different things you guys have told me about (:
    I ate Kashi cereal with a sliced banana for breakfast today and I'm going to work out later.
    Btw, is it better to work out before or after lunch. What is healthier or does it not matter?
This discussion has been closed.