Gluten-Free Choc Brownies - 115kcals per serving!

Options
Purple_Orchid_87
Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
I have made these several times - my mum made these for us when we were children! I substitute the sugar for sweetener.

If you like super fudgy brownies, you will love these cocoa bean brownies. They are made without any flour and are gluten-free. Don’t tell anyone they are very high in fiber and made with beans. You have to try them to believe how good they really are!

1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup canola oil
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or kidney beans, drained
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 x 8 inch or a 7 x 11 inch baking pan. In a large food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except nuts.

Blend well until very smooth. Stir in nuts.

Pour batter into pan. Bake 35 - 40 minutes or just until set in the center. Do not over-bake.

For a flourless, chocolate cake and an elegant presentation, pour batter into round cake pan. Cut into wedges and serve with raspberry or strawberry sauce.

Note: The brownies can be reduced in calories by substituting the 1 ¼ cup sugar with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda.

Serves 20

Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 115
Fat, gm.: 5
Protein, gm.: 2
Carbs, gm.: 16
Cholesterol, mg.: 25
Fiber, gm.: 1.9

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bump and Yummy
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I could limit the sweetener and use up some of the bananas that are sitting on my cupboard....

thanks for the recipe!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    I wonder if I could limit the sweetener and use up some of the bananas that are sitting on my cupboard....

thanks for the recipe!
    bananas have far more natural sugar in than red kidney beans so you wouldnt need so much sugar/sweetener to be added
    never tried it with bananas but if you have some and will only throw them out if u dont use them, maybe its worth a go
  • LissaBaby14
    Options
    Bump! Can't wait to try this, thanks! :)
  • haulewould
    Options
    I'm SOO making these!
  • pinksherbert
    pinksherbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sound fabulous - I often make bran muffins for brekfast which I crumble into a yoghurt - perhaps I can now start my days with brownies!

I hope the 'makes 20' doesnt translate to 'makes 4' in my house - this is a common problem which is why I try to make things individually. Perhaps I will put the mix in muffin tins and cook for less time.

Thank you much!

x
  • lunula76
    lunula76 Posts: 38
    Options
    I wonder how they would be with adzuki beans - they have a lot of natural sweetness so maybe you could reduce the sweeteners. Thanks!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    if anyone makes these can you post your results and maybe a few pics - would be good to see how they turn out for other people
    ive had cravngs today for sweet things and am thinking of making these to satisfy that :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    A note to anyone making these - maybe it was the baking tray i used, or maybe I made them too thick, but I remember dividing it into 20 and thinking the brownies looked small - remember, if you are dividing into 10 brownies, you need to DOUBLE the kcals per serving.... I know to most it sounds obvious, but just wanted to pop a wee note on here.

Even are twice the size, 230kcals for a sweet treat can't be bad
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options

I hope the 'makes 20' doesnt translate to 'makes 4' in my house - this is a common problem which is why I try to make things individually. Perhaps I will put the mix in muffin tins and cook for less time.

I look at things and think 'serves 6' but that translates to 'feeds just me'!
    if you make it, have a look at how much mixture it gives you and see what works best
    they're not the biggest brownies but remember they are made from kidney beans so are high in fibre - i defo wouldnt feed the equivilent of 5 servings to a child or else they may be in the bathroom for a while
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Brownies, brownies, the magical fruit
    The more you eat the more you toot
    The more you toot the better you feel
    So let's have brownies at every meal!

:)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    lol
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    bump!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    bump
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Options
    anyone made these yet? i've got all i need except the eggs so shall get some next time i'm shopping :o)