Trying to rid myself of soda....

Options
Hi team!

I know that I have been drinking way tooo much soda lately, so I am trying to find a substitute for it. I know water is excellent, but I like the bite that soda gives. I read somewhere that a great subsitution is carbonated water mixed with another 100% juice. Any suggestions on that? Or any other drinks that give that "bite" that carbonation does??
I've also heard that diet colas are not better either? Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• Caerith
    Caerith Posts: 15
    Options
    You really gotta ask yourself why you're getting rid of soda, especially if you like it.

You could try Jones Soda. It's still a soda, but not syrupy like the big name sodas.

Or, uh... you could just try cutting back on the soda but not quit it entirely? Whatever you do, don't switch to diet. It's actually worse for you.
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    flavored water is good and cheap, and has no calories! and its carbonated so its like pop but without the calories and high sugar!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off of soda by switching to hansens soda

zero calories (if diet) zero sodium and no additives

its a nice alternative and now I only have about one every few days when i feel I really need a
    soda
  • haulewould
    Options
    Trying the carbonated water with juice sounds like a solid idea. There are a lot of juices out there that have no added sugar and no sugar substitute that would work pretty well I think. V8 has a pretty good one (10 calories per serving) good luck!

Dustin
  • kupo808
    kupo808 Posts: 9
    Options
    @ Caerith: I'm trying to give it up altogether because I don't have the willpower yet to only drink some at a time...I'm so weak!! :embarassed:

And I've heard that soda is a complete waste of calories. It's just sugar and serves no nutritional benefit. I figure if I can take small steps like eliminating soda, I'm on the right track??! LOLz

And thank you for your input on diet soda!!!

@ inn0c3ntbbygrlx3: I never thought about that!! I think I’m going to try that one out!

@ strapple: Hansens soda? I’ve never heard of that..I will definitely check that out too!!

@ haulewould: Thanks, I really like V8. Especially the new mixed fruit and vegetable one! The acai one is delicious! I never thought about putting that together! Ohhh, now that sounds super yummy!!

Thanks all!! I appreciate it!
  • reggie0126
    Options
    hi i m trying real hardvto quit drinking diet soda it makes my whole body itch real bad.but i love a diet coke it taste good too me but i think im gonna have toquit cold turkey im tired of itching i make my self bleed
    good luck we can do this water is better for us
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they sell a fizzy mineral water in several different flavors that is really good and fairly inexpensive. I find it hits the spot better than any other substitute for my friend, Diet Pepsi...I totally get what you mean by "bite". The lime is our fave. It zeroes out across the board on my diary, except for 35 mg of sodium. HTH.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I realized a few years back that it is the bubbles in the soda that I love not necessarily the soda its self. So I switched over to mineral water. It has no calories & no artificial sweeteners so it's a great bubbly alternative to soda. My favorite is a lemon flavored mineral water. Not sure if you have Trader Joe's in your area, but they have several flavored varieties and they are pretty cheap too.
  • kupo808
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they sell a fizzy mineral water in several different flavors that is really good and fairly inexpensive. I find it hits the spot better than any other substitute for my friend, Diet Pepsi...I totally get what you mean by "bite". The lime is our fave. It zeroes out across the board on my diary, except for 35 mg of sodium. HTH.

Wow, another great suggestion! Yes, it is the bite that completely gets me. I'm def going to try that one out!!! TY!!!
  • kupo808
    Options
    I realized a few years back that it is the bubbles in the soda that I love not necessarily the soda its self. So I switched over to mineral water. It has no calories & no artificial sweeteners so it's a great bubbly alternative to soda. My favorite is a lemon flavored mineral water. Not sure if you have Trader Joe's in your area, but they have several flavored varieties and they are pretty cheap too.

Oh yes, it is definitely the bubbles. Sometimes I drink Pepsi and it's too sweet. But I keep drinking it because of that great bite! I've had two recommendations on Trader Joe's fizzy mineral water! It must be great! I will def check it out! And yup, I got a Trader Joe's just 5 min away!! Yay me!!! :smile:

Thank you!!
  • kupo808
    Options
    hi i m trying real hardvto quit drinking diet soda it makes my whole body itch real bad.but i love a diet coke it taste good too me but i think im gonna have toquit cold turkey im tired of itching i make my self bleed
    good luck we can do this water is better for us

Yes, we can do it!! We just got to find a substitute that we can deal with..especially since we both love it so much!!

We got this though!!! :smile:
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it's a little expensive but hansens is worth looking into!

you can get it at any health store but I know they have it at stores like fresh and easy and albertsons
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i gave up sodas and caffiene. i drink decaf coffee and water only. on occasion i drink gatorade..but not so much now since i'm bulking not cutting.
  • RoseKatet
    RoseKatet Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just quit drinking soda cold turkey and it worked!! I used to love soda but when I started mymfp journey I knew it just had to go. I have gone almost 2 months without a single sip of it and I have no urge to have one. I never had the caffeine withdraw that I have heard ppl talk about...but u gotta do what's best for u!! You can do it!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: