How do you assess your target weight?

Options
When i first started dieting i was 84kg and i went to a dietician who advised me i should be 68kg. İ worked hard and got to that weight within 4 months of dieting and working hard in the gym(thanks to this site).

When i got to the goal i was told by everyone i looked ill and i must admit i felt 'skinny' and even a doctor made comment about it.--i stopped dieting and let myself rise again to 77kg but sensed i was pilling it on again and re-started here but i have no idea what my target should be because 68kg was too low! how do you set your goal weight?? --i felt good about myself when i was about 73kg but i couldnt hold that weight 'naturally'--i am 48 and 5 ft 9 male and i am currently 164lbs

Replies

• 1980carrie
    Options
    on paper my ideal weight is around 8st... im 30 and last jan i was 8st 10lbs and i was far too thin, size 8 clothes were hanging off me and even although i bought a few size 6s i looked soo much older. i think as we get older the thinner we get the older we can look. i was 8st 3lb at 18yrs old and i thought i was fat, looking back i look healthy, not skinny or fat but comparing those to the 8st 10lb photos at age 29 i looked ill and a lot thinner than i was at 8st 3lbs!!! my new target is 9st 4lb but even then my body cant maintain that naturally... its a struggle. i think everyones different and to say every man at 5ft 9 should be X weight is wrong. maybe go by body fat?? sorry if im not being helpful but i find the body fat thing more accurate. id rather be 9st 4lbs with lean muscle than 9st 4lbs with a high percentage of body fat. take care and find whats right for you. xx
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply-it confirmed what i was thinking! i was last 11stone back in 1994-i am now 11 5 i think( i have a picture from then and i thought i looked well proportioned then) but obviously the aging process has 'thickened' my frame. i am wearing medium clothes comfortably now which was the case back in 1994!(maybe clothes dimemsions have changed?)--i know we have skeletal changes but i am not sure at what time they stop in life and how they change our proportions through life?(the bmi scale makes no allowance for age).Both my parents who are elderly have got shorter and smaller in all dimensions now so there must be a peak in dimensions and then its all downhill!!

İ would like to have more muscle but dieting and building muscle dont really go to together!-my job doesnt need muscle but i appreaciate the need and reason for muscle but it would negate my aim to get to a reasonal weight!(as you might tell i am a yo yo dieter and if i take the foot off the gas i Blossom!)-in middle age the tummy area carries the thickness whilst limbs can become thin this area is retisant to change!