working out alone vs in company

strapple
strapple Posts: 353 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
do you prefer to work out alone or in company?

my husband and mother always want to work out with me and I can see the appeal of it (motivation/competitiveness)

but when I work out with someone I'm constantly afraid of them staring at my flab or seeing me sweat so I can't really perform as well as I would flying solo

so far there's only one kind of workout I prefer company for ;}

how about you? alone or in company?

Replies

• pkizzle7
    pkizzle7 Posts: 26
    I like going with someone to lift weights (good rest between reps)

When it comes to cardio, I am fine going by myself with my headphones plugged in....
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Either way but I'm a competitive person so I will definitely push harder if other people are around.
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Do what works for you. It's nice they want to go with you...but more often than not, our workout times are just about the only time in a week we dedicate to focusing on our own health and happiness. Protect it if you want to. Politely decline their invites to workout together. Though I have to say your reasons for not wanting them there (seeing your flab? Really?) signal a different issue - I still vote for do what's right for you. Best of luck.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    My mom always wants me to call her so we can go work out together, but honestly I would rather work out alone.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    I'm with my kids all day long, so my workout is sometimes the only time I get alone. I love swimming because nobody can strike up a convo with you. I like running outside, but I've had only one running partner that I liked. Normally, I'm solo.

Sometimes my hubby likes to go to the gym with me, but we usually don't do the same thing.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    I routinely walk/jog the bike path in my area (the route is about 3.5 miles). I've done it by myself since the friend I always used to walk it with moved over a year ago, but lately my mother has been bringing up wanting to go with me. I don't want her to go! I get into my own groove and blast pandora on my phone and try to escape reality for that brief time...it's sort of "me" time if you will.
  • Kell44
    Kell44 Posts: 14 Member
    Alone - Don't be afraid to say no.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    I like both. I have a gym buddy who I meet a few times a week for my workouts there. We vary our routine and I love having her company.

I also do alot outside around my house. I do that most of the time alone. This helps get my chi back when I am getting stressed :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Alone. I sweat a LOT! I also don't want people looking at me when I work out, I get distracted.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Alone. I sweat a LOT! I also don't want people looking at me when I work out, I get distracted.
    haha yes

I realize that it's totally an insecurity but it's nice to hear from someone who understands!

it's nice to see that other people enjoy it alone
    but I understand and appreciate all the comments from people who enjoy company
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    I work out alone the majority of the time, because I use my daughter's nap times to work out. The workouts I do (Jillian Michaels) are easy moves, yet difficult and so it doesn't bother me. I don't care about the sweat...I'm working hard. I can understand your hesitation though and as another poster said....don't be afraid to say NO. That time is YOURS.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Alone. I can exercise at my own pace and when it suits me. Also, if I join a class or group and then miss a session, I feel embarrassed and find it harder to go back the next time. If I miss 2 sessions, then I never do go back. When I exercise alone, I don't have that worry.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    OMG, we're like twins!!! I HATE working out with others because I feel like I'm going to be judged... :frown:
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    I'm better working out myself bc with other ppl around, i worry about my boobs and flab bouncing around. and being too sweaty.
  • The only person I've ever been able to work out with is my dad. The reason is because we get to the gym and do our own separate things, then meet up when we're done. I really prefer to workout alone, otherwise it's too much chatting and not enough sweating.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    When I go for my walks I want to go alone, I like to have my walking music on and go as fast as I can. I used to walk with a colleague, but we were just chatting and she was slower than me, so even though it was fun together, it didn't feel like I was doing anything.

I got the "30 day shred" and to my surprise husband said he'd do it with me. I was a bit hesitant and the first time we were a bit awkward together even, but now, 5 days later, it's actually great to do it together. He's sweating and panting just as much as me. :laugh:
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Alone!!

I'm away from my kids, have my tunes on and in the zone.

My HRM is what motivates me. try to get that good burn on and beat the day before type thing.
  • campb5ka
    campb5ka Posts: 4
    I can workout alone or with someone, but I prefer alone. I enjoy the classes that my gym offers, so I count that as my time working out with others, and then the other days I go, I just keep to myself.

I used to be nervous that everyone was watching me, but if you look around, everyone is focused on themselves! That is when I realized I can kick my own butt with out a workout buddy.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    My opinon varies.

I focus better when I work out alone.

But I lift harder when I have a comparable partner. I always want to outdo them. Plus its nice to have a spotter, or someone to drive me home in case of an injury or what not.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I'm good either way. Your reasoning confuses me, though. I daresay that your husband has probably seen your "flab" on numerous occasions, and most people tend to sweat when they workout. What you look like when you workout should be the least of your concerns, unless you're one of those neurotic "princesses" that have to look "perfect" at all times.
This discussion has been closed.