Should you work out if you are sick?

bltmgray
bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all!

I've been sick since Wednesday and have not worked out since Monday. I was just wondering if it's okay to work out if your are starting to feel better, but are still not 100%? Or should you wait until you are 100%? I don't want to ruin my work outs but I've missed one day already and if I don't work out today, that will be twice already this week I've missed. What do you think?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Sure. But if you have a question you should ask your Doctor.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    I am sure everyone will say something different....for myself....I find that it actually helps me to start feeling even better.
    You may need to slow down if you are doing Cardio but you know your body and if it feels wrong/bad you should stop.

Starting with a treadmill walk is always a good test for myself!

I will be honest that when I start to feel sick I hit the gym and try to sweat it out-

Everyone is different though, and just make sure you know how far you can push yourself! :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    I always read if you are sick above your chest its okay to work out (running nose, headache etc.) if you are sick below....dont...(vomiting)
  • Sick in what way? I'd think if you can breathe without trouble and your body is hydrated then it is ok to exercise. If you are sick due to a bronchitis like cold or have been getting "stomac sick" then give your body a bit more to heal. Nothing wrong with trying to do -- just pay attention to your body and it will tell you what it can stand.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 328 Member
    As long as your starting to feel better, and don't push yourself to much. Listen to your body and if it is screaming at you to stop, then stop. take your time and make sure you get lots of rest
  • I am reading a sport science book in preparation of a rating exam I need to take for the professional skaters association for coaching and the book said something about if your symptoms are above the neck exercise is fine, below the neck caution should be taken. I can't really tell you more details because I just skimmed over that section last night.
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Thanks everyone! I have cold that started in my throat and chest. Thats why I was asking. I've been coughing and wasn't sure if I should take the chance and work out. I may just give myself another day to get over the cough. Thanks for the advice!
  • ERapp01
    ERapp01 Posts: 32 Member
    Depends, how sick you are. If I'm well enough to get out of bed, then I hit the gym. I don't do my regular work out but definately do something.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Listen to your body. If you feel you can, than go for it. If you start and you start feeling like you can't or at least not as much, then stop or slow down. Hope you feel 100% soon! :flowerforyou:
  • gupton11
    gupton11 Posts: 80
    I've found that if i lift weights while sick I feel better. But I agree with the previous post, if you're throwing up stay home.
  • Ratgirl35
    Ratgirl35 Posts: 15 Member
    As long as your starting to feel better, and don't push yourself to much. Listen to your body and if it is screaming at you to stop, then stop. take your time and make sure you get lots of rest

I agree..

Stomach issues - I wouldnt push it. I would let it run it's course. That's all you need to aggrevate it more.
    Common cold - Start off slow on the treadmill, sometimes a little of exercise helps. Just make sure you drink water and not over do it.
This discussion has been closed.