Why I exercise

Options
I think the only thing that gets me to the gym mon-thurs is that I will get to add in extra calories! lol...if I did not workout and stayed at 1200, would it be the same effect as working out and eating my calories back...1200 net either way I go right?

I wanted to add that this is just my motivation on some days. I definately feel better after working out, definately sleep better, and I only eat about half of my calories back...sometimes my net is 1,000 but I am fine with that becuase I am consistantly losing 1lb per week and already have a healthy BMI so it is really just "vanity" lbs and toning.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    kind of.

But you're going to feel much better by working out.

You shouldn't work out just so you can eat more food. You should be working out to improve your overall health and body composition.

weight loss without excercise doesn't lead to an attractive body because you lose muscle mass as well.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I work out because I like to.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I work out I feel better. When I work out I sleep better and eat better as a result. I also perform better at work and on long car rides (we do a lot of road trips on weekends). My Mom is also battling cancer right now, and she's my inspiration to get to the gym. Her sister also died of diabetes last year. Lots of weight related diseases in the family. That's my motivation to get to the gym on days I don't want to. Doing whatever I can to prevent what I can prevent. :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Kind of is right.

When you work out it speeds up your metabolism for a little while after your workout, so you get a little boost even when you don't work out. You also feel better, relieve stress, and build muscle. The muscle will also help your metabolism.

You don't want to just lose weight, because you will also lose muscle and be flabby
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I love to work out and I like my gym's atmosphere. I work out because it feels great and I actually like the sore feeling I get because I know I'm doing something.
  • nauticalxstar
    nauticalxstar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    working out makes me soooo hyper! It really made a difference in my overall personality! gaining cals back is just a plus! =)
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I lost about 85lbs 6 years ago or so through a program that required no exercise. When I got to my goal, I was thin, but not fit. AND, because I hadn't been exercising, it was hard to maintain that weight when some of the food restrictions started to come off.

If you've built muscle and fitness while getting to your goal, you not only feel better, but you provide yourself the outlet to be able to indulge every once in a while and then work it off, IMHO.

That's why this time, I'm doing a similar program, but working out the whole way through. It might slow things down a bit since I'm gaining muscle while losing the fat, but I know in the long run it will all be better!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the main reason I do is because I don't want to become "skinny fat". Exercise tones a person's muscles and makes them look lean. A person who doesn't exercise and just looks small can still have a high percentage of body fat on the inside and be unhealthfully overweight. This is when you get women that have a small frame but somehow still have pudges and cellulite.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's true that your net calories will be the same either way. But exercise has so many benefits other than burning calories. It can improve your muscle tone, cardiovascular health, and lung function. It can also have a profound impact on your mood and helps to balance various hormone levels.

If you're not enjoying the exercises you are doing, try switching it up. Or maybe there is a different time of day that would work better for you? It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Working out and pushing myself to do everything in great form, gives me a rush, energy and mood wise.

Many ask me how can I always be the hippy-happy person, and staying positive most of the time even in not so good situations. I feel much better healthwise than in my teens-20s.

Physical Exercise will also prove you that you are stronger than you thought you could be, and at the same time you will stay healthy -less colds in the winter, etc. if you are aware of your body.