resting heart rate

Options
what is a normal resting heart rate for someone who is 26, female and works out at least 4 times a week?

Can weight affected your heart rate?

I already know I have low blood pressure - could this be due to working out too?

Replies

• bethsherbahn
    Options
    Im not really sure but my resting heart rate is in the low 90s and i work out about 4times a week i just think its very differnt for everyone .
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate for an adult is between 80-100 beats per minute
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    Not sure if this will help but, I am 30 work out 4-5 days a week my resting heart rate is usually around 62-64...I suppose that weight would make a difference on how hard your heart has to work to keep pumping the blood. :) I have low blood pressure as well, 106/68 ish, anyway I just take it as my heart is working well, I am in good heart health. Have a good one
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    I too have low bp (95/55) and a high resting heart rate (105). I'm hoping that getting in shape will
    Improve those numbers in a good way!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I think I must be dead!! My resting heart rate is 52.... I am 5ft 9.5in and 152.5 pounds! Is that too low? Should I be getting myself checked out?

My blood pressure has always been low, not sure about now, but still always cold so guessing it is still low!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    For woman it is 70 - 100

The lower the healthier your heart is. Mine is 64 what was yours. Your suppose to take it befoe you get out of bed or havent been doing anything for an hour or so. There are smart phone apps that take your heart rate. The one on the IPhone is dead on!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I think I must be dead!! My resting heart rate is 52.... I am 5ft 9.5in and 152.5 pounds! Is that too low? Should I be getting myself checked out?

No Athletes can go down to 30's that just means you have a super healthy heart.
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    The 80-100 is just a range. In paramedic school we learn that each patient is different. Some are fine at a resting rate of 110, some are fine at a resting rate in the 50's. We're just taught a certain general range.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When I tested it this morning it was 57

My heart rate monitor only arrived this morning so thought i would check it out. I hadnt been doing much that morning just reading when the post man arrived so im guessing thats a fairly rested heart rate reading. Will check tomorrow morning.

I only know i have low blood pressure because when i joined the gym they did the checks then and i was told it was low... no idea how low though.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 58.
    Can't get the damn thing much over 160 anymore! Grrr
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Mine is around 58.
    Can't get the damn thing much over 160 anymore! Grrr

Check out my latest work out! I will give you 20 bucks if your heart rate doesnt go past 160!! Maybe 40 lol
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    Don't rely on a machine to check your heart rate. It's very simple. Get a watch with a second hand on it, find the carotid artery on your neck just under the angle of your jaw, count how many pulses you feel in 60 seconds. Or count how many in 30 seconds and multiply by 2. In emergency settings I usually check for 10 seconds and multiple by 6, but that's not always perfectly accurate as you can miss skipped beats. For regular settings just count how many pulses in 60 seconds, or double the count in 30 seconds. I would never rely on an app to tell me. Also, people that get their blood pressure checked at a gym...do the people checking it really know how blood pressure affects your body? Or were they taight just how to check the pressure and tell you the numbers? Please get it checked by your doctor, or some medical person. Stopping by your local fire station would even be a good idea. Most firefighters now are at least trained at a basic EMT level.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Don't rely on a machine to check your heart rate. It's very simple. Get a watch with a second hand on it, find the carotid artery on your neck just under the angle of your jaw, count how many pulses you feel in 60 seconds. Or count how many in 30 seconds and multiply by 2. In emergency settings I usually check for 10 seconds and multiple by 6, but that's not always perfectly accurate as you can miss skipped beats. For regular settings just count how many pulses in 60 seconds, or double the count in 30 seconds. I would never rely on an app to tell me. Also, people that get their blood pressure checked at a gym...do the people checking it really know how blood pressure affects your body? Or were they taight just how to check the pressure and tell you the numbers? Please get it checked by your doctor, or some medical person. Stopping by your local fire station would even be a good idea. Most firefighters now are at least trained at a basic EMT level.

Ok I understand your in the medical profession but dont knock down what I said. I know how to take a pulse too; from my CNA training. I tested my app by taking my pulse right after.
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    I'm not knocking what you said. I'm merely stating that people don't have to rely on machines to tell them what their heart rate is, and informing people that just because a person can take a blood pressure doesn't mean they know what effect those numbers can have.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i wasnt even told numbers at the gym.... just that it was low

I dont even know what affect low blood pressure can have - obviously nothing bad as i am in good health and work out 4-5 times a week.

Anyways im in love with my new heart rate monitor and cant wait to try it out at the gym later to see what i really burn during body pump!
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    phew, i thought i was a freak of nature, my resting heart rate is approx 59 and I'm 5'5 146.8lbs age 21
    Xx
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have been working out pretty constantly 4-5 times a week and my resting heart rate is about 55bpm.... I want to get it to 50 tho. thats my goal!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

No Athletes can go down to 30's that just means you have a super healthy heart.

I was at the blood bank and the guy taking my stats said that the lowest he saw was 26... the guy was a professional athelete... so unless he was lying it is possible to get your heart rate below even 30.