I'm new here, how do you get motivation back that you once h

Options
Hey there, so excited to be a part of this awesome group of people looking for the same thing in life, to feel
better about ourselves!

How do you get your motivation back that you once had? I am a stress eater, and have been thru a lot in the past
7-8 months and gained about 15 lbs just in that time span.

6 years ago I lost 27.5 lbs in 14 weeks in a competition against friends. Felt out of this world good! Want to feel that
again. I want to feel that way again, look that way again, and have gained it all back and feel like crap about this.

I KNOW what it takes, KNOW what I must do, but for some reason I don't do it.

I am usually very upbeat, positive, person, but some of the things that I went thru were very hurtful, and I got very
depressed so I ate everything I could.

Now in 8 weeks we are going to Myrtle Beach for summer vacation and I know I can't lose all of it by then, but would
be happy with 10 lbs which is very doable, just gotta do it right? Well what the heck is my prob? Why have I lost this love
for feeling good about me? Ugh! Please help, and I want to help too once I get my act in gear...I'm a great supporter/cheerleader, I just gotta find that "groove" again.

Thanks!
Amy

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad you are here!
    Consider it a "lifestyle change". That is what helped me.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    try just adding very small changes that aren't so overwhelming...like walking 15 minutes every day or decreasing your portions

You can do it. Once you get into the habit of being healthy, things snowball and you eventually get to where you are doing EVERYTHING right (just don't try to START this way).

Good luck
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

When I first joined MFP I did it to help keep track of my calories. I now have a few friends and everyone is so supportive. It is amazing that reading the comments people post boost your motivation to keep going.

Good luck in your weight loss journey!
  • zumba_gal
    zumba_gal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    im a housewife and watch two kids in my home and believe it or not i get bored alot!! and i eat cause i am bored...well i get friends in a contest and see who can lose the most, well when you friend exercises for lets say 20 minutes well it makes you want to do more cause u want to win! it makes it fun.. i have to make this whole losing weight thing fun or i will get bored and stop..beginning on here helps to dont feel like getting out of bed type it on here and somebody will help u to move! add me as a friend and we can help motivate each other! good luck!!!
  • GaMama37
    GaMama37 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WOW....are you sure your not met typing this???? I also lost some weight (21 pds) last year.. my hubby and I had started this "lifestyle change"...we were eating healthier, watching calories, walking and working out, started that in July of 2010..by Sept..I had done lost the 21 pds..and hubby nearly 50!! Birthdays/holidays started up in Sept...then Nov...Dec...etc..etc... and here it is April, and I've done gained back nearly 10 pds..and hubby over 20.. no more eating right, nor exercising, and I can't get the motivation to do anything at all... we've gone back to eating out alot...and at home I've been buying the wrong foods again.
    Also.... I TOO will be going to Myrtle Beach...BUT in 9 weeks... we'll be camping! WHen are you going? We are leaving the 18th of June...
    Everyday I say I'm gonna eat healthy and start this change again.. b4 hubby and I were going to the gym together, he gets 3 days off a week..so we could go, then on his work days we'd go after work, and it worked out great, but then we stopped..and my truck broke down (still tore up) therefore I don't go myself during the day. Really no excuse... so since I've wrote you a book.. I really have no idea how u can get the motivation back... I'm so struggling myself... But good luck.!!! It can be done...
  • AmysNewBeginning
    AmysNewBeginning Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your warm welcome! Yes let's help each other, and this way we do have to be accountable!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Why not start your own competition? It would be fun and you would really stick with it as your running the show.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    I had absolutely no motivation when I joined the site. I started logging food and said to myself, it doesn't matter if I go over just try to eat a little better and log everything.

Well I began to feel a bit guilty when I had to log bad things, that and just realised acutally how many calories are in certain things.

I started reading a lot of the discussions going on here and began to feel more motivated, within a few days I was trying really hard to stay within my daily calorie allowance and found that it made me feel better about myself. Rather that looking in the mirror thinking, wow I should do something about this, I was thinking, so I'm not perfect but I'm working on it.

Two weeks on, I feel like I've tried really hard, and that is great motivation for keeping with it, don't want to waste the hard work I've put in so far!

Have a look at some peoples success stories on the community boards, this might help muster some motivation!

Good Luck!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    Way to go on your 12 lb loss!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks for welcoming me!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    32 lb loss, and look at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice abs!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your motivation, I think this is just what I need a site like this! CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a pictures of me in my bakini from my honeymoon, one hanging on the door of the fridge, and one hanging on the mirror in my bedroom, right where my eyes go,,,,I found them the end of Feb (2/26 to be exact) that monday was the first day I could start making it to the gym and I havent stopped yet,,,,its my motivation, determination, and reminder of what its all about.....I am now down 13 lbs and 7.5 inches since that day and I'm feeding off of my own success.

If its really what you want, then you can do it.....use that feeling of what you remember of how great you felt to keep you going,,,if you slip up, oh well, pick yourself up at the next choice of what you put in your mouth and continue chugging along.

We have faith in you,,,,,,YOU CAN DO THIS,!!!!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    Good job and thank you for your motivation! You are right, I just gotta do it, and this site is amazing, I think this is just what
    I need! Way to go on your loss, you must be thrilled at the hard work and changes you have made!!!!!!!!!!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nike - Just do it.

seriously, i got down to 165 (where i could actually see my abs again) last summer. then over the holidays i went from 165 to 183. about 2 months ago i thought "what happened to me. i've gained friggin 18 lbs in like 3 months" so i decided to lose weight again. back down to 164 (better than before). so yeah.....just do it.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    Wow, good for you, that is awesome! Listening to you guys is just what I need, keep up the good work!
  • Ashley06118
    Options
    I had absolutely no motivation when I joined the site. I started logging food and said to myself, it doesn't matter if I go over just try to eat a little better and log everything.

Well I began to feel a bit guilty when I had to log bad things, that and just realised acutally how many calories are in certain things.

I started reading a lot of the discussions going on here and began to feel more motivated, within a few days I was trying really hard to stay within my daily calorie allowance and found that it made me feel better about myself. Rather that looking in the mirror thinking, wow I should do something about this, I was thinking, so I'm not perfect but I'm working on it.

Two weeks on, I feel like I've tried really hard, and that is great motivation for keeping with it, don't want to waste the hard work I've put in so far!

Have a look at some peoples success stories on the community boards, this might help muster some motivation!

Good Luck!
  • Ashley06118
    Options
    so, that was supposed to be commenting on your quote. Anyway, that was what I was thinking when I logged on, I only wanted to see what I was doing to myself, then I freaked when I saw how badly I was eating. Im on this site more than Facebook right now and I'm completely ok with thaa change.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    omg me too! today i didn't even do my daily status of fb!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!! love it girl!!!!!!