Thighs, buns and abs

Options
Question - can you guys tell me how many lunges or squats you think you need to do per day and how many days per week before seeing results? I know diet and overall weight and health changes the number but generally speaking.. Also how many ab crunches...

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump - I want to know too.
  • mommaLars
    mommaLars Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 Day Shred. It really tones up in 30 days. Best of all it takes less than 30 minutes a day!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been doing jillian michaels dvds-she does lots of squats, lunge combos w/ ab work too. Also throws in cardio to get heart rate up-I've lost some inches in legs and hips from it along w/ getting some abs:-) throw a day of walking or jogging in here and there and u should see results
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Since every "body" is different, there really is no "set" number. You just have to keep going until you "see" those changes you want. Also remember, that once you start, if you stop you WILL lose those muscles you just worked so hard to get. This is 4-Life for me, it's a continuous regime that I don't plan on stopping.

If you're looking to build, tone, strengthen and firm those areas, please also remember that you CANNOT "spot-treat" your body (it's not a carpet, doesn't work that way). You have to burn fat and build muscles at the same time. Circuit training works great for many (think Jillian Michaels), for others they need to focus on different body parts each day and add separate cardio. I mix my workouts up between Tai'Chi, Yoga, Strength, Cardio/Aerobics. Not to sound like a sales rep, but Jillian Michaels workouts are really amazing (those muscles in my profile pic are courtesy Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred & No More Trouble Zones), and I've been told by a PT & PFT that "those are what quads are supposed to look like" for my legs :wink:
  • EDubsMom
    EDubsMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference when I started incorporating walking lunges into my workouts. I do about 10 big lunges (hands on my hips) down a hallway, and then 10 lunges coming back down the hallway to where I started. I do them every other day, because you feel the burn the next day!! But after a week, I did see firmer thighs.

Of course, you can always add hand weights, and curl them up as you do the walking lunge, to increase intensity. I don't recommend it right off the bat though. :) And of course, don't let your knees go past your toes when you lunge (talking about the front leg). It can create knee problems. A 90-degree bend on that front leg is best.
  • Sevhera
    Sevhera Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I guess jillian Michaels it is.. lol I will get that dvd this weekend.. and with my one hour kickboxing twice a week.. I should get there pretty quickly :smile:
  • dsolgot
    dsolgot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to do small workouts when I am sitting around, like when my shows are on during breaks or when my sons watching tv I turn my ipod on and do as many sit ups as I can during the break or for a whole song and then the next song or break squats and so on. Just started doing it so haven't seen any results but I can feel it working lol. something is better then nothing.
  • Sevhera
    Options
    I will try the walking lunges too (kinda want to do it now but my colleagues will think i'm crazy lol), my problem for the 90 degree squats is that unless i use the wall or a chair, i cannot keep my balance and definitely do it the wrong way.. also I can never keep my feet down, i'm always on my toes.. which is why i love kickboxing because you're supposed to be on the ball of your foot at all times.. which comes easy for me.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Please remember that nothing hard ever comes easy. My balance was terrible, I wobbled and couldn't lunge very far when I started this journey. Now, I can military shoulder raises w/a leg kick and stand solid: I can do lunges, squats, planks & keep my balance. Sure I have off-days when I wobble a bit or fall, but I've been working on my core, slowly and steadily and the proof is in the balance. Work towards it, you don't have to lunge with your back knee to the floor, you can start with shallow lunges and as you get stronger and more stability you can drop lower & lower (but do not EVER let you knee go past your toe or you WILL get injured!).

If you can hold your balance with kickboxing you can build up your core for anything you want to do. And not all kickboxing is on your toes which is why I mix my workouts up. Why stick with one thing when you want to work your whole body? I want strenght & stability from my head to my toes & everything inbetween. If something is hard now it gives me a challenge to do it & do it right.

That may just be me, though.
  • Sevhera
    Options
    that's a great idea.. just doing a whole song or a whole break.. thanks :smile: