SUGAR

Options
What do you all do to stay away from sugar? I'm already left with 10 grams of sugar for today from my breakfast (nonfat yogurt with strawberries and blueberries).

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar from fruits and vegetables.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar either...it's total carbohydrates I focus on. From a blood sugar/diabetic perspective, a carb is a carb. That's the plan I'm following.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I know its hard to keep your sugar under the limit, but if you find you are having a bit of a sweet tooth get some water and some crystal lite packets, i find that really helps for me :)
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    sugar from fruits do not count :)
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    piggybacking this!

i felt like i've been doing a great job but it seems that fruit throw me over the sugar allotment. it bums me out. i also go over on protein but i don't feel full otherwise...
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I'm over my sugar every day. Mostly from milk and fruits, but also because I have treats here and there. I like to see how much sugar I consume everyday though so I can think of new ways to reduce it where I can. For instance I've replaced yogurt with cottage cheese as a daily food (low in sugar, higher in sodium so it's kind of a trade off) and I've tracked my sugar for a couple months trying to reduce it where I can.
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem with the sugar intake also. Most of it is from fruit. Does the body process the sugar from fruit differently than say, the sugar from a candy bar? I hope so !! If the body does track it differently, then I wish MFP would divide the categories into good / bad sugar. I go over the sugar limit almost every day. Thinking about even taking it off my food diary because it just depresses me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It isn't that sugar from fruits and dairy don't count per se, but to stay within the limits set by MFP, you would have to choose between dairy and fruit each day. I just have to ignore the sugar tracker. However, you should keep it for awhile and look through your lists to make sure you aren't eating anything with hidden sugars that you hadn't considered. A lot of processed foods have sugar, even when they don't seem that sweet.
  • starboardzor
    Options

Is this really true though? I know there are different types of sugars, but does your body store fruit sugar any differently than say, the sugar from a candy bar? Because that would be significant to me, if the body stores either type of sugar the same way. But I have no idea. I've always thought "all things in moderation" applied to everything, even fruits.

If someone could answer this on a nutrional level I'd be really interested to know.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem with the sugar intake also. Most of it is from fruit. Does the body process the sugar from fruit differently than say, the sugar from a candy bar? I hope so !! If the body does track it differently, then I wish MFP would divide the categories into good / bad sugar. I go over the sugar limit almost every day. Thinking about even taking it off my food diary because it just depresses me.

from what I understand - yes. There is sugar in fruit, but there is also fibre in whole fruits. the fibre slows down the absorption of the sugar in the fruits and makes it harder for the body to get its quick fix. This is one of the reasons people (me included) go on about eating whole foods. There is so much we don't yet know about the interaction of nutrition in whole foods.

the candy bar is like eating a spoon of, well, sugar. the brain loves sugar. Especially the type that it doesn't have to make any sort of effort to get.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this! I'm in the same boat! every day after my non fat greek yogurt and fruit I've got less than 10 grams of sugar left for my whole day and almost always go a little bit over... even on days when I'm WAY under my calorie goal? I'm also alost always over my protein recommendations... but again under for calories... which is the most important catagory to stay withing? I feel your pain!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If my sugar intake is from yogurt and fruit, I don't worry about it. If it's coming from another source (less healthy), then I watch it closer. Rarely do I have an unhealthy sugar source, but if I do, I'll watch the rest of my sugar intake closer that day.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you should consider all sugar...sugar!! I do best when I limit sugar from all sources to no more than 50-60g. For me that is 2 pieces of fruit, a couple servings of low fat diary and veggies. It is VERY easy for me to hit 75-80g of "natural" sugar otherwise.

And as an FYI, while many people consider honey and agave "natural" sugars, they are consdiered added sugars as they do not occur naturally IN food like the sugar in fruit, dairy, veggies, etc.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you all! I do want to loose weight, I think I might decrease some of my "natural" sugar intake. OR someone on here said that they dont eat any sugar of any kind after 2. I think I might try that
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you all! I do want to loose weight, I think I might decrease some of my "natural" sugar intake. OR someone on here said that they dont eat any sugar of any kind after 2. I think I might try that

Not eating ANY sugar after 2 is kind of hard because most veggies have some. Maybe try not eating fruit/dairy after 2? I'm sticking to 2 pieces of fruit right now (citrus, apples, and berries - most filling w/least sugar), last one by 2pm. I just started this week, but I am already starting to see a difference in my belly.
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Is this really true though? I know there are different types of sugars, but does your body store fruit sugar any differently than say, the sugar from a candy bar? Because that would be significant to me, if the body stores either type of sugar the same way. But I have no idea. I've always thought "all things in moderation" applied to everything, even fruits.

If someone could answer this on a nutrional level I'd be really interested to know.

I posted this earlier, but no one cared I guess, haha.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218185-nyt-article-is-sugar-toxic

Anything with sugar is sugar. You want to limit sugar period. However, if you're only getting your sugar from fruits and veggies, chances are you're not overdoing it, even if that puts you over MFP's "limit." But no, truthfully it's processed by your body the same way.