Bucca di Beppo help

Options
Tonight my bf's family is taking us out to eat for his cousins b-day and they are going to Bucca di Beppo (sp). I have never been there but I have heard its family style eating (just great). I looked online for their nutritional guild and it looks horrendus. Does anyone have any good ideas on what to eat? Please!! Thanks!!

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice, But I ran intot he same problem about a month ago....just try not to eat everything like I did...watch portion sizes and cream sauce.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's not healthy Italian there. Stay away from the mixed drinks first off. Since it's family style you can eat LESS than if you were going to Olive Garden or something. And stay away from the bread that is coated with cheese and baked! Family style is your friend!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Just portion everything. You don't have to finish your plate. Start off with a nice sized salad to fill you up a little bit.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Buca's is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!! Just saying.....

Okay, now for something a bit more helpful....

Do you do shrimp? If you get a pasta dish that includes shrimp it will help cut down on the calories. It's all family style (as you mentioned) but that's actually a good thing! You get a dish and share it with someone! So find someone who wants the same thing you do, take a helping, and be done! Tell the other person the rest is theirs. If no one wants what you want, take 1 serving and immediately ask the waiter for a box so you aren't tempted to eat more.

Or you could do a grilled chicken caesar salad. It's a huge salad, and will be a better option than a pasta dish.

Or get a chicken or shrimp dish that isn't served with pasta, and has a red sauce.

if you can't find any of that, then have them special make something.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you don't see anything on the menu that looks good, I would just go with general guidelines; portion control; start with a salad (easy on the dressing, cheese, meat) or broth soup; chicken's better than beef; steam/broiled is better than fried or breaded; eat more veggies and less pasta, if you can; skip the bread basket and go easy on the dessert (or skip the dessert and go easy on the bread, depending on your preferences); water instead of soda; that sort of thing.

And finally; it sounds like this evening is a treat; not a regular occurance, so don't worry so much about what you're eating that you ruin the experience. One bad meal isn't going to totally de-rail your diet.

Hope you have a good evening!
  • kpovich
    kpovich Posts: 27
    Options
    You can do it!!! Make smart decisions. Less is more. Think of portions the size of your fist and not portions that go over the side of your plate. ;) If there's a salad that's pre tossed with salad dressing, you can always as for a salad with dressing on the side. Then you can pick a smarter low cal dressing. Stay away from Ceasar dressing (someone above said to look for this with grilled chicken). Ceasar salads are usually very high calorie. Think grilled and not fried for any of the meats. And if there's dessert, see if you can just grab one small bite from someone.

You'll be fine. Think how good it will feel to walk out knowing you participated, but made good decisions!!!!!
  • jms023
    jms023 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Beware the salad. Apple Gorgonzola was 750 calories or something ridiculous for 1 serving. That place really made me angry, because I didn't even realize how many calories I took in until it was too late. Get the nutrition facts BEFORE you order (they have them available if you ask) and then make the decision with that in front of you. Good luck!
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    ooo I love bucca. I say, just watch your portions and enjoy!
  • Lsnitkin
    Lsnitkin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In today's world, most restaurants will accommodate special dietary needs. If they have the ingredients, they should be able to create a dish that will fit your program. (Chicken breast with sauce, or a veal chop; some broccoli rabe or spinach, etc) It never hurts to ask. [My little secret: If you tell them you have food allergies, they will usually jump through hoops to be careful with what they serve you.]

Alternatively, eat what the group orders; just eat small bits of whatever they serve, and pass on anything that's fried. Oh, and don't go back for seconds. If I know I'm going to go out for this type of meal, I'll add a bit more exercise the day of, and the day after.

Don't beat yourself up if you go a little overboard. Just get back on track tomorrow.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I agree with Angel4health!!

I say fill up mostly on salad/protein and watch for the salty italian meats too high in salt thier salads are huge..
    ( cleanly - very light dressing)
    no more that a scoop whatever you want...thats what I did.
    Enjoy - in moderation and don't let it drive you nuts..

Last time we went there and got the little cannoli's they were terrible...
    Have a great time with you family!!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I will do my best. I dont want to look crazy when Im there since its not my family. lol.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The chicken limone is very low in fat and calories and very delicious. I also like the chicken rigatoni (just a few bites though). I stay away from the bread and anything fried. I'll have a little bit of Italian salad as well.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't been there in a while, but I believe they have a Marguerita style pizza with a thin crust that's pretty good. They also have some great salads and plenty of "sides" that are veggie dishes. Good luck!