How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Since I am using this site am I supposed to be weighing my self daily? I was going to just do every Friday but when I went to my reports and did progress it was showing daily numbers as if I am supposed to be weighing in daily.. I am a bit confused..

Hailey

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    they say you should weigh in once a week because people tend to get freaked out by daily fluctuations in weight. i weight every day just cuz i wanna see how my body reacts to different foods, schedules, or times of the month lol. do what ever's good for you :)
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday, I have noticed that if I do it daily, I drive myself crazy...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    its your choice. I weigh myself on Fridays
  • bbear690
    bbear690 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thursday is my weigh in day xx i do it with my mum :)
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I weigh every day or every other day sometimes. I only do it cause if I don't, I can't catch a gain and nip it in the butt.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, in the middle of the week. That way if I don't see what I wanna see my whole week isn't ruined, or if I weighed on Friday, my whole weekend wouldn't be ruined. I weigh on Wednesdays because....Wednesdays already suck...lol.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Every day, but I am OK with the daily fluctuations. I would say most people on this website weigh every week.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh myself every single day, then i started insanity and have weighed myself 3 times within 45 days, I have less than 2 weeks left on insanity and will weigh myself again!

I lost most of my weight long before starting insanity so i dont wanna lose more weight i just wanna tone up and look good.

after i finish p90x ill weigh myself halfway through =D and then at the end.
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everyday same time same circumstances. If you weigh daily be prepared for daily fluctuations - today I was up 2 lbs. from yesterday.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi....it's really just a personal decision. If you get hung up on not losing then I wouldn't way but once a week because you aren't really going to see a change from day to day. I personally weigh every morning. This helps me stay accountable and if I do weigh more than I can change something in my diet or exercise. Most people have a weigh in day on a certain day of the week. Make sure you are taking measurements also at least once a month because although the scale might not show loss usually you will lose inches. Good luck to you:)
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    if you do it daily it cud dis-hearten you as one day you will see loss then the day after you will see gain....once aweek is best

5800340.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I like everyday but i am a positive person and dont have any issues with the odd ups in weight.
    It keeps me focused and on top of each day. Instead of once a week and then not really knowing what day or two put me in the negatives. It is really a personal decision.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday and very often more than once a day. I agree that if you are going to beat yourself up over minor fluctuations, then you shouldn't do it. If you understand that food has mass which equals weight in your body and that hydration can really push your numbers around, then I don't see a problem with weighing in daily.

I will weigh myself as soon as I get up in the morning to see what my waking weight is, then I will drink some water and jump on the elliptical for 45 minutes and weigh myself again without super hydrating. I will then sometimes hit a hot shower and weigh in again. The numbers generally drop by a pound and a half after working out, pooping, and showering.

I will sometimes weigh myself at the end of the day to see what my late weight is before I go to sleep, after a full day of eating.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...I also give myself free days on the weekends, so my real weigh in number, although I will weigh myself all week long, comes on Saturday morning. It is at that point that I will be the lightest I am all week. I kill food over the weekend and my Monday morning start weight is often 4 to 5 pounds heavier than my previous Saturday final weight.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday. I dont mind seeing the changes . I read a post about someone who wrote it down everyday. If she hadnt weighed herself everyday she would not have seen a change because her weekly checkins were the same. There are so many things that can change home much you weigh like water retention or other waste.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I weigh in every night right before bed. My weight has fluctuated wildly during the day my whole life (even when I was slim and trim), so I'm used to seeing the ups and downs and they don't bother me.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Every day. And the more I think about it, the more "weigh yourself once a week because your weight fluctuates" doesn't make any sense to me. If your weight fluctuates, why weigh once a week, when you might catch yourself on a high day, and think you're not making any progress at all? That really doesn't make sense to me. More data points are always good.

Now, if you are the sort of person who gets absolutely freaked out/terrified by seeing the scale go up 1 lb mid-week (or whatever), then I guess daily weighing probably isn't for you. Personally, I don't mind, because I still see that downward trendline, even with the spikes on certain not-as-good days. And you just might not see that trend if you weigh yourself weekly... at least, not in the short term. I know someone else had a post here about that, I should try to find it.

Anyways, in the end it's really up to you. MFP isn't going to yell at you if you don't record daily or weekly or ever, as far as I know. It depends on how robust you want your records to be. :)
  • simplysweetsasha
    simplysweetsasha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh once a week, but found I prefer to check in more often. So I check in every other day, sometimes everyday, I do like to see how my body is reacting to things and I get an idea of what I should be tweaking.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week.

Once a day would drive me crazy (out bodies fluctaute so much on a daily - even hourly basis - that it would be too frustrating for me to weigh in every day!)
  • GRL1030
    GRL1030 Posts: 2
    Options
    i do it every friday...
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day just out of curiousity but I only record my weight from every Sunday. So to answer your Q about how often to "record" your weight, I would say only once a week. It's the most accurate. Your weight will bounce all over along the course of a week and it might be discouraging if you are tracking daily weights.