Looking for low calorie vegetarian foods

Options
Hi! Can you recommend any healthy, low calorie, vegetarian foods? Specifically breakfast and snacks. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• denise007
    denise007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Briana31
    Briana31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! It's awesome. You can check the details about it on here.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    quinoa for sure! unsweetened almond milk
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Eggs! Peanutbutter toast w/ sliced bananas on top. Whole grain waffles w/ a little lf yogert on top and sprinkle blueberrys on it (tasts like a toaster strudel) Toasted english muffin w/ jam, an egg over easy, and munster cheese (its soooo good) Banana, cut in half length wise, then spred peanut butter on it and then sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Carrots dipped in lf ranch. Sliced cucumbers, dipped in lf ranch, then dipped in sunflower seeds.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast...Try eggs (egg whites are best, but to each their own) scrambled up, add a little hot sauce, followed by some diced bell peppers, and you have got yourself one tasty and hot breakfast :) Personally, I would pair it with half a Thomas' Thin Wheat Bagels for some added Iron ;)

After watching Food Matters, however, I would recommend also jump starting your day with a couple glasses of water and a side of fresh fruit too!
  • sam88keys
    sam88keys Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - oatmeal. I get the plain instant packets and just add stevia to it, so it adds up to only be 100 calories. I'm not a big breakfast person so I'm normally fine with just that (and I don't really like changing up it during the week because that's one less thing I have to think about), but sometimes I'll have a side of fruit with it as well.

Snacks - 14 almonds are 97 calories, which is my main snack staple, since I don't like having to excessively plan my meals. Any nut in general is great because they are so filling for just a small amount; just get them raw and unsalted. Hummus is not super low-cal but it is filling and, instead of chips, you can use celery or cucumbers. Of course, a fruit salad or small veggie salad is always easy and quick to fix if you do a bit of prep work in the beginning. If you have a food processor, you can easily make your own Larabar-type of energy bars that freeze beautifully and are composed of very few ingredients.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    As a vegetarian in college, here's my typical day. Hopefully it helps.

Breakfast : Either a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with Soy Milk. Or. 2 Eggs on an English Muffin. Both are 300 calorie options.

Lunch / Snack : Granola bars, either home made if you can or packaged. Banana. Kashi TLC Whole Grain Crackers. All three sorted out is around 300-350 calories.

Dinner : I live at home and cook all my own food. I try and get between a 400-600 calorie dinner filled with a protein, such as baked tofu, and vegetables. Rice and vegetables. Boca crumbles and black beans in tortilla shells. Look up reciepes and enjoy cooking!
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

What is quinoa exactly? is it like granola?

I love granola but feel like it's going to knock my fillings out sometimes haha too hard!
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always snack on fruits and veggies ;-)

Aside from that, how about some air-popped popcorn? I also like rice cakes, even plain (you can put a little low-sugar jam on them, though).
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. I usually have a pack of oatmeal and a piece of fruit, or a slice of sprouted grain bread with almond butter and some no sugar added jelly.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options

I love granola but feel like it's going to knock my fillings out sometimes haha too hard!

Quinoa is almost like a rice/pasta/couscous type deal. I once used it in a recipe to make homemade veggie burgers.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Quinoa is almost like a rice/pasta/couscous type deal. I once used it in a recipe to make homemade veggie burgers.

ooooh ok! I thought it was a breakfast thing! :laugh:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is SUPER cheap, low-cal, and very nutritious. the less processed the better. you can try cooking steel-cut oats on the stove or in the slow cooker, or if you're short on time, buy the rolled oats and cook them in the microwave for a few mins. They are so versatile and you can add-in so much awesome stuff to suit your tastes. Fruits, nuts, PB, greek yogurt, protein powder, spices, cocoa, whatever you like! You can even cook them with egg whites for added protein.

Another great suggestion is to make overnight oats and avoid cooking all together. Check this out for some suggestions: http://ohsheglows.com/recipes/#Breakfast

Good luck!
  • michelleputnam
    Options
    I'm lazy, so I like the easy, premade things, like Morningstar Sausage patties, crumbles (super delish!), etc. and occasionally soy yogurt. Edamame beans are pretty much a staple to my lunches, low in cal, super filling, and pretty much available everywhere now. Keep an eye on your protein consumption, I struggle to get enough protein during the day.
  • michelleputnam
    Options
    If you have a food processor, you can easily make your own Larabar-type of energy bars that freeze beautifully and are composed of very few ingredients.

Details please!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love the low-fat vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction. Real flavor-full satisfying delicious easy-to-cook food. Neither DH or I are vegan, but we think the recipes in this book ROCK!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    For breakfast I always have one of those weight watcher's flat breads and peanut butter, and orange, soy milk and coffee:) Usually works out to about 270 calories. If not that than oatmeal.

My go to snacks are Ryvita multigrain crackers with herb and garlic cream cheese....for two big crackers with two wedges of cheese, 160 calories! I also have hard boiled eggs or greek yogurt and some fruit with some almonds
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

ooooh ok! I thought it was a breakfast thing! :laugh:

I have made it for breakfast before :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This recipe will appeal to the quinoa lovers on here... http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2010/10/03/pumpkin-maple-quinoa-granola/